Embarrassing fat stories!

Options

Replies

• tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Grade ten English.

As soon as I sat down on the chair at my desk, I knew it was already broken because it was rocking back and forth. I figured it would be embarrassing switching chairs, so I decided to stay as still as possible. At one point, the teacher said "It will be a sninch" instead of "cinch" and as I bellowed in laughter at his innocent mistake chair crumbled, sending me to ground with it.

I was DEATHLY embarrassed. But the only people who laughed were my friends, one of which yelled out "get that guy a crate". He was only dude fatter than me in class so I let him get away with it.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Not my own story, but 3 incidents with my mom.

1) I was about 5 and mom was on the ski machine. I said, "Mommy you're fat." I got a slap on the behind for that, but really I was only repeating what she said about her self. Ironically, she would love to get back to that weight.

2) I'm a little older, maybe 10? and mom got a new cream linen suit and paired it with a cream top. She asked what I thought, and I said "You look like a cream puff." Suit went right back. I didn't have a filter as a kid.

3) I was in a show choir, and at one of the functions a mom of another kid asked her "When's the baby due?" Mom was mortified when she had to explain she wasn't. She never wore that dress again. I feel like I should say that the woman who asked her was not exactly skinny herself and if my mom were a mean person could have asked the question right back at her.

For my own story, the worst I felt was at a sleep away camp when the girls I roomed with talked about how I should " give them some of my butt because it was so big." I had no self esteem back then, so it was very hurtful. As I look back today, I think they were giving a backward compliment because a lot of my friends from that time say I was very pretty, I just didn't think so or see it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Really the only thing I've ever had a horrible time with is seat belts, when I was close to 300 lb I still fit into most seat belts but my ex husband had a Jeep, and he and one of his friends were both bigger than I was so they wanted me and his thin friend to sit in the back seat because the seat belts up front were bigger. I got in the back and nope. The seat belt did not fit me. I pretended like it did, though. I didn't even want my then-husband to know it didn't fit so I just kinda held it down with my arm against my hip. Miserable.

Also I felt a moment of awkwardness and/or embarrassment any time I'd go to a restaurant with booths. I never knew if I would fit nicely in the booth or be totally wedged up against it with my breasts practically on the table and belly pinched. I have had many uncomfortable meals due to that. With some friends, I'd just ask for a table, but some people like my mother INSIST on a booth and I actually lied a couple of times and said that certain restaurants "didn't sound good" just because I knew that we would have to sit in a small booth.

This is actually one of my biggest NSVs after losing a total of 90 lb from my all-time largest. It is so nice to know that I fit into all seat belts and booths and don't have to think about that stuff anymore. I have not been on an amusement park ride in years and partly because I was worried about not fitting. However, the last time I went on the rides at my local park I was in the neighborhood of 230-240 lb and fit and now know that I'll fit easily at 212.
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    These stories all make me sad. I have some of my own, and the internal scars that come with, but I don't want to share them and relive them.

I'm just going to work my butt off at my training session tonight and hopefully never have another such story happen to me again!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    When I was almost 200 pounds I didn't realize that I was fat. I thought I was slender and fit like the rest of my friends. 3 of us went to Forever 21 together and found this dress that was super cute. We were all going to get one and walk around in our matching super adorable outfits. I tried on the same size as they did and it literally ripped. Turns out even the biggest size in the store didn't fit me. My friends were probably more embarrassed then I was, since I sat down naked in the dressing room for about 20 minutes and cried my eyes out.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    For the past few years I've had to lie to everyone and tell them I hate the beach because I will not get into a bathing suit. I actually really love the beach. :( I missed out on my Senior party in high school because it was at the beach. Next year I plan on being at the beach all of the time.

I LOVE to swim. As a kid ages 1-14 I was all about swimming. At 15 is when I went from "plump" at 180-ish to "fat" and over 200...I did not swim or don a swimsuit for years, from age 15-22, all the way through high school and college. I went swimming twice at motels in a t-shirt, bra, panties, and shorts. Not fun.

However, at 23 even though I weighed 299 lb I said "eff it"! I'd gone through a brown recluse spider bite ordeal that had me hospitalized and almost losing my leg...no way was I gonna let life pass by without swimming just because I was embarrassed about my body. That year, I bought a size 24 swimsuit and rocked my housing complex pool. I got a nice tan and made some new friends. Yes even fat :-)
  • Josalinn
    Options
    When I was almost 200 pounds I didn't realize that I was fat. I thought I was slender and fit like the rest of my friends. 3 of us went to Forever 21 together and found this dress that was super cute. We were all going to get one and walk around in our matching super adorable outfits. I tried on the same size as they did and it literally ripped. Turns out even the biggest size in the store didn't fit me. My friends were probably more embarrassed then I was, since I sat down naked in the dressing room for about 20 minutes and cried my eyes out.

You totally reminded me of the time I went bathing suit shopping with my boyfriend that I had removed from my memory. And I'm sorry that we have had similar experiences

When I was coming out of the fitting room, he started calling in after me. He then called in to see if any other ladies were in there, which there weren't. IT then took him about 10 mins to coax me to unlock the door so he could give me a hug and get me to stop crying.

Being an absolute gem of a boyfriend, he took me to get a make over and bought me my first real make up. This was in college and I had never owned make up before.

I had also never walked in heels before I started dating him....he bought me my first pair of those too, a pair of 1 inch square healed shoe...my feet hurt so bad. Now I wear 5 inch heels like its nothing:laugh:
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I had been doing the Slim Fast thing to try and get rid of the weight I had gained with my youngest son. I was embarrassed by it and would bury can of it in the middle of my cart and make sure I had an female cashier (the older the better). One day I was shopping, both boys in tow, and spotted an old friend on the aisle where the Slim Fast was. I came to a screeching halt and turned around to make a quick getaway before she could see me, but my 4 year old son jumped in front me, arms spread wide, and yelled, "STOP! You need Slim Fast!"

I wanted to die.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I don't have terribly embarrassing ones.....just eye-opening moments like seeing my wedding pictures as of 3 weeks ago..... I had 11 months to prepare and if anything I gained weight instead of lost it. My dress was stunning but my chubby cheeks and fat arms made it terrible to see. (Of course I had to go with strapless, too.) In the pictures where I am dancing with my dad I look 3x bigger than him. (Granted, he's a smaller man, but a daughter should never look that much bigger than her father!!)

My hubby and I went to an amusement park for a fun little road trip a few days after our wedding and I was appalled that my *kitten* almost didn't squeeze into the seat on the roller coaster. I have always been bigger but it dawned on me that if I kept gaining like I had been since I'd been in a relationship then I wouldn't fit on the rides next year.

That was sad. I'm only 22.

I must add: we are trying for children, and I am having a hell of a time having luck. Must assume it's because of the weight. Very disappointing.
  • Josalinn
    Options
    I had been doing the Slim Fast thing to try and get rid of the weight I had gained with my youngest son. I was embarrassed by it and would bury can of it in the middle of my cart and make sure I had an female cashier (the older the better). One day I was shopping, both boys in tow, and spotted an old friend on the aisle where the Slim Fast was. I came to a screeching halt and turned around to make a quick getaway before she could see me, but my 4 year old son jumped in front me, arms spread wide, and yelled, "STOP! You need Slim Fast!"

I wanted to die.

When I did slimfast a sa bank teller, I would peel the cellophane off to store it in the fridge....
  • MondayMaybe
    MondayMaybe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I was maid of honour for my sister but she let me pick the design because not everything looks good on a bigger person and the other 4 were skinny so they could pull off anything. Once we had the design she refused to buy the dresses from anywhere that didn't have my size.

[/quote]

This is so touching that your sister did it for you! Often brides like to think that the world revolves around them and don't care who look/feel how in which outfit... (or maybe i've watched "bridezillas" too much... LOL) Anyway, it seems like a very sweet gesture of her
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I habitually had plumber's crack while I was overweight, all throughout middle school and high school- even with wearing a belt, it wasn't till I lost 20 lbs that my pants started sitting higher.

Quite a few people have seen my butt crack...

Oh this happened to me and it was when I had to wear scrubs all the time. Let me tell you they make scrubs too damn short for my rolly-polliness
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I was fat.

No, I'm still fat, just less fat.
  • Ad141274
    Ad141274 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So I set up the pool this summer for the kids for the first time in years. Ummi get into my two piece thinking I still have it in my thirties and proceeded to go outside. Well my.friends decided to come over and they brought young healthy inversely.fit kids over to hang out . I realized that umm ineeded to cover up. I was so self conscious . It was horrible
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have not gotten on a ride in over 15 years because of fear of not fitting. I also have not learned to swim being embarrassed about my size.
  • levicrouch
    Options
    Went to an amusement park and the overhead bar barely got 1 click. Took quite a bit of force for that 1 click.

Wanted to go to Catalina Island for our anniversary, but decided against it because the zip line that we wanted to go on had a max weight of 230 or 250. I was 268.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Both the roller coaster thing and the restaurant booth. With the roller coaster, the crushing blow was that I had fit into other rides at this particular park (after a 40 lbs loss), but the one I finally built up courage to ride on I still couldn't fit in. Had to get back out and walk back down by myself, red as a beet. Ruined my mood for the rest of the day.
  • cbmae
    cbmae Posts: 19
    Options
    What size boobs do you guys have with roller coaster issues? I'm nursing my 10 week old and I don't want to get stuck in anything with my new found boobs :indifferent:
    I couldn't get in a booth while I was pregnant with my daughter, not because of the pregnancy but because I gained way too much weight. Some old lady said to me at 29 weeks that I was about to pop at any second. I'm still knocking stuff over with my butt. A lot of people made comments about my weight because I was pregnant, but it still really sucked and embarrassed me. And to top it off, I was on bed rest for 6 months yet they still opened their mouths :grumble:
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Love this post!!! Bumping to read the rest tomorrow!!
  • pjammer10
    pjammer10 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    tonight at dinner my 4 year old was squeezing my arms asking why they are so fat. she was trying to be discreet about her questions, but she wouldn't drop the subject no matter what answer i gave her. big arms run in my family to begin with, extra weight makes them even bigger.