When do I even lift?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You're a beginner lifter right now.

Get two years consistent training under you belt and we can talk again ;)

I feel like this would be the same as telling someone they're not a runner unless they've ran a marathon. :ohwell:

I don't necessarily agree.

While there is some skill to running- I'm not sure it's comparable to the skills/technique in lifting. There is definitely a NEW lifter- a beginner lifter- an intermediate and advanced- I'm not sure how one draws lines for that- or rough circles- like venn diagrams- but I"m pretty sure you could clump people together in age/time spent under the bar.

You could do the same for running to an extent- but it would literally have more to do with miles run than technique- meaning- whose either more dedicated or just been doing it longer- less about technique.

And no I'm not saying lifting is harder or easier- I'm just saying there is a lot more time spent learning technique- anyone can run if they just go do it- they'll figure it out- without help- coaches or you tube. Do it long enough and you'll get it figured out. You cannot say the same for lifting.
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    When do I consider myself someone who lifts?

I have a routine based on SL 5x5 that has progression and I know how to do the moves
    I've been doing it for a couple of months.
    I don't feel self concious any more going going through the moves when people on the cardio machines are watching.
    so I sort of feel like a lifter

but
    I don't look like someone who lifts - I'm still fat, I don't have gloves or belt or protein shake or massive headphones
    I don't sound like someone who lifts - I don't really know what I'm talking about, (preacher curl vs a hammer curl etc.)
    I don't squat or deadlift or bench press my bodyweight (yet)
    I don't have a barbell so always feel like I'm faking it a bit. (smith machine and dumbells)
    If someone said "do you lift" I'd go all giggly and embarassed and say "oh sort of, sometimes"
    I call them 'moves' which doesn't sound right.

At what point do you consider youself someone who lifts?

Biker by day, weight lifter by night. You got this!

Fat-Guy-with-Pink-Dumbbell.jpg
  • teaparty75
    Options
    I'm a lifter! I don't "look" like a lifter either, yet. My goals are a bit different from most lifters...I'm not cutting and bulking, I'm just trying to lose weight while retaining lean body mass. But just because my goals are different, it doesn't mean I'm less of a lifter than they are. :) The first time you pick up a weight, and say "heck yeah, let's do that again!" you're a lifter.

WORD UP !!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I feel like this would be the same as telling someone they're not a runner unless they've ran a marathon. :ohwell:

While there is some skill to running- I'm not sure it's comparable to the skills/technique in lifting. There is definitely a NEW lifter- a beginner lifter- an intermediate and advanced- I'm not sure how one draws lines for that- or rough circles- like venn diagrams- but I"m pretty sure you could clump people together in age/time spent under the bar.

You could do the same for running to an extent- but it would literally have more to do with miles run than technique- meaning- whose either more dedicated or just been doing it longer- less about technique.

And no I'm not saying lifting is harder or easier- I'm just saying there is a lot more time spent learning technique- anyone can run if they just go do it- they'll figure it out- without help- coaches or you tube. Do it long enough and you'll get it figured out. You cannot say the same for lifting.

ORLY?

:huh:

ETA: I suppose I'd be tempted to say the same thing about things of which I am uninformed...

...if I were inclined to break from my usual approach of saying nothing at all in those situations.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    This thread is relevant to my interests.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So basically, as long as I put lots of miles in then I can be in the Olympics, no problem! Score! I'll go line up my sponsors.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    That's rubbish- everyone knows you'd need steroids.

I've logged quiet a number of miles on the pavement. I'm not unfamilar with running. It takes heart- and dedication. And the higher end athletes- sure natural talent. But it doesn't take a great deal of skill. You just run. one foot in front of the other. S

There is a hell of a lot less technique and skill involved in running than there is in baseball or lifting or foot ball- or almost any other sport including underwater basket weaving.

Period.

I could absolutely run a marathon. It doesn't take a great deal of skill to simple run. I don't want to- I have no interest in it- but it isn't a question about if I could or could not do it- but I know I could do it.

Can I do a snatch properly? Nope- not yet- I need to do more research and spend more time with a bar learning the technique.

There is a great deal of difference between being out of shape for something and not KNOWING how to do something.

But there is no way you can learn how to lift great tonnage without practicing the technique. If you think otherwise- than you are sorely mistaken. But you can run a marathon with spending any time practicing form or technique.

That's the most ridiculous comparison ever. There is absolutely such a thing as a novice lifter. You can still be a lifter and be novice. it doesn't make you NOT a lifter- it just makes you new at it.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If it helps, we all consider you a lifter. :D
  • garyknight9404
    Options
    You even lift when nobody has to ask and you don't need to post in a diet forum whether you do. You have made a start congratulations. Keep going, read and learn something new everyday. Track your workouts like you track your calories. Focus on progression and you will look back on your current level one day and shake your head at how far you have come. I recommend Mike Mentzer's books for learning about muscle building theory. There is no excuse in the age of information not to know the difference between exercises.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

I've logged quiet a number of miles on the pavement. I'm not unfamilar with running. It takes heart- and dedication. And the higher end athletes- sure natural talent. But it doesn't take a great deal of skill. You just run. one foot in front of the other. S

There is a hell of a lot less technique and skill involved in running than there is in baseball or lifting or foot ball- or almost any other sport including underwater basket weaving.

Period.

I could absolutely run a marathon. It doesn't take a great deal of skill to simple run. I don't want to- I have no interest in it- but it isn't a question about if I could or could not do it- but I know I could do it.

Can I do a snatch properly? Nope- not yet- I need to do more research and spend more time with a bar learning the technique.

There is a great deal of difference between being out of shape for something and not KNOWING how to do something.

But there is no way you can learn how to lift great tonnage without practicing the technique. If you think otherwise- than you are sorely mistaken. But you can run a marathon with spending any time practicing form or technique.

That's the most ridiculous comparison ever. There is absolutely such a thing as a novice lifter. You can still be a lifter and be novice. it doesn't make you NOT a lifter- it just makes you new at it.

Oh, sure you could run a marathon, given time and conditioning. But, could you run it WELL? Moderately well, sure, but certainly not elite level. For that you need training, which includes learning form, technique, etc.

Until you have become not only a competitive level lifter, but also a truly competitive runner, you really can't say which requires more training. Because you really have no idea what you are talking about.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Is this the thread that will help me figure out what type of fruit shape my body type is?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Well, real lifters don't wear gloves, so you're good there. :tongue:

You're a lifter when you lift things. Period. Doesn't matter how much, how heavy, or how long.

I'd stay away from the Smith machine, though. That thing is pretty much designed specifically to injure people (I assume it was horrible oversight, and not intentional, but maybe Smith was an orthopedic surgeon in need of patients...)

So you lift, ergo, you're a lifter.

If you're not wearing gloves, you're probably not lifting heavy enough.
    Please tell me you're joking...

Gloves make your hands sweat and your grip weaker. Why would I waste my time with that when chalk does the exact opposite?

Sounds like you're wearing mittens, not gloves. Get out of the ski section.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    When...

1331230848_guy_pukes_while_lifting_weights.gif

then and only then have you arrived....LOL
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I don't look like someone who lifts - I'm still fat, I don't have gloves or belt or protein shake or massive headphones

You can buy the shakes and the headphones.
    I don't sound like someone who lifts - I don't really know what I'm talking about

Sounds like a lifter to me.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    When do I consider myself someone who lifts?

I have a routine based on SL 5x5 that has progression and I know how to do the moves
    I've been doing it for a couple of months.
    I don't feel self concious any more going going through the moves when people on the cardio machines are watching.
    so I sort of feel like a lifter

but
    I don't sound like someone who lifts - I don't really know what I'm talking about, (preacher curl vs a hammer curl etc.)
    I don't squat or deadlift or bench press my bodyweight (yet)
    I don't have a barbell so always feel like I'm faking it a bit. (smith machine and dumbells)
    If someone said "do you lift" I'd go all giggly and embarassed and say "oh sort of, sometimes"
    I call them 'moves' which doesn't sound right.

At what point do you consider youself someone who lifts?

As soon as you started lifting regularly. You are a lifter (perhaps a beginner one, but one nonetheless). I am, too. Plus, I'm a runner. Not a fast one, but I run regularly, so I'm a runner and lifter.:happy:
  • CAME1
    CAME1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I consider my self a lifter because I enjoy lifting; the adrenaline, the endorphins my brain releases in the middle of my workout, the energy I feel.
    Now that I think about it, It's almost orgasmic for me. hmmm.. maybe that's why some men try to persuade women into not lifting JK :wink: maybe not hehehe
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    When I lift, I only wear one glove, ala Michael Jackson. And I moonwalk from station to station.

I just wanted to say that this is my favorite post of the entire thread. :bigsmile:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    If you're not wearing gloves, you're probably not lifting heavy enough.

LOLOLOL thanks for that one.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Period.

Oh, sure you could run a marathon, given time and conditioning. But, could you run it WELL? Moderately well, sure, but certainly not elite level. For that you need training, which includes learning form, technique, etc.

Until you have become not only a competitive level lifter, but also a truly competitive runner, you really can't say which requires more training. Because you really have no idea what you are talking about.

I could do it pretty well- I rank well in all my running ventures. I'm an excellent distance runner.

And since I've done both... I feel like I'm standing on fairly solid ground saying I have a CLUE about what I"m talking about.

I'm mean my dead lift is pushing 300 lbs... I'm not exactly naive when it comes to lifting- and I spent 8 years running competitively.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Steve you just need the headphones and your in. :wink: