What Should I Weigh?

Options
2»

Replies

• IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My bmi says I'm closer to the obese end, but I know that isn't true. I have muscles. Screw the scale!

This is very rare for a woman, regardless of muscle. What is your height and weight?

Don't doubt her. She's freaking solid muscle!! I wanna be IronCakes when I grow up! :heart:

Actually I meant to say overweight, not obese. I'm FAR from obese. But based on the BMI calculator I'm right on the edge of overweight.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Have you had your body fat % checked? This is a much better measure. Doctors really don't know as much about diet and body composition as they purport. They are looking at the same table as everyone else is and have 10 more patients to see before they can go home.

I have calipers and check it at home. If i do it right.. I have about 12% BF

12% BF is very very very low for a woman..

It use to be higher. I could be doing it wrong? I know I still don't eat enough.. Maybe it'll get higher again when I can eat what I'm suppose to?

For women the BMI scale is a pretty good guage for a healthy weight. But it's a range, not a specific number. A 5'1" woman should weigh >= 100 and < 132 lbs. The more muscle you have, the closer to the high number you should be.

Some women can weigh more and still be within a healthy weight if their waist is small compared to their hip and/or for their height.

Try putting your stats into the calculator below and see what your results say. This uses a little more than just BMI.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus

I've done that before. It says my height waist ratio is healthy but I'm still in the overweight range for bmi.

12% is low.. real low, At 12% you don't get your periods anymore, that's how low it is (in most cases anyways)

womenbodyfat1.jpg
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    I would cut back on the cardio a little, that seems a bit excessive! and also, if you are happy with your weight, that's all that matters!

Thanks!! Maybe I'll try to go back to being content w/ my current weight. Everyone else tells me I shouldn't lose anymore.

I try to exercise less but I can't atm
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    Have you had your body fat % checked? This is a much better measure. Doctors really don't know as much about diet and body composition as they purport. They are looking at the same table as everyone else is and have 10 more patients to see before they can go home.

I have calipers and check it at home. If i do it right.. I have about 12% BF

12% BF is very very very low for a woman..

It use to be higher. I could be doing it wrong? I know I still don't eat enough.. Maybe it'll get higher again when I can eat what I'm suppose to?

For women the BMI scale is a pretty good guage for a healthy weight. But it's a range, not a specific number. A 5'1" woman should weigh >= 100 and < 132 lbs. The more muscle you have, the closer to the high number you should be.

Some women can weigh more and still be within a healthy weight if their waist is small compared to their hip and/or for their height.

Try putting your stats into the calculator below and see what your results say. This uses a little more than just BMI.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus

I've done that before. It says my height waist ratio is healthy but I'm still in the overweight range for bmi.

12% is low.. real low, At 12% you don't get your periods anymore, that's how low it is (in most cases anyways)

womenbodyfat1.jpg

I did stop getting my periods for a while. After upping my cals I started getting them again.. Last month was the 1st time it was normal in a while. I'm sure I prob measure it wrong tho because I don't think I look like that!
  • AstroRocket
    AstroRocket Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Its doesn't matter what you weigh, its about how you feel. There are women that have a "perfect" figure and are miserable and there are bigger girls that feel on top of the world. Mind over matter.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    BMI is pretty accurate for the masses. It won't be accurate for the muscle bound but your doc can take one look at you and tell. My sis in law is a doc and I asked her about that.

Find a few bodybuilding websites for women. Usually it'll give their weights. Find someone your height and take a look. That should give you an idea of how heavy muscle is.

Also, I see you lost 155 lbs. That's a lot. Do you have any extra skin?
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    BMI is pretty accurate for the masses. It won't be accurate for the muscle bound but your doc can take one look at you and tell. My sis in law is a doc and I asked her about that.

Find a few bodybuilding websites for women. Usually it'll give their weights. Find someone your height and take a look. That should give you an idea of how heavy muscle is.

Also, I see you lost 155 lbs. That's a lot. Do you have any extra skin?

Yeah, sadly I do
    Its doesn't matter what you weigh, its about how you feel. There are women that have a "perfect" figure and are miserable and there are bigger girls that feel on top of the world. Mind over matter.

I think I'll try to stick w/ that thinking.

I think I'll just ignore the new dr and stick w/ what others have told me.

Thanks everyone who was helpful and nice! :)
  • KRoth416
    KRoth416 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" and when I was happy and healthy with my weight I was 120#s. I was not "fit" but I wasn't flabby, probably 20% body fat. NOW, at 140-145#s at 30% body fat I am "fat". I lost a ton of weight when I got pregnant with my son and looked like death at 110-115#s. 120 is my goal weight, but maybe I will increase it to 130# after cardio/strength training is complete.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My bmi says I'm closer to the obese end, but I know that isn't true. I have muscles. Screw the scale!

This is very rare for a woman, regardless of muscle. What is your height and weight?

Don't doubt her. She's freaking solid muscle!! I wanna be IronCakes when I grow up! :heart:

Actually I meant to say overweight, not obese. I'm FAR from obese. But based on the BMI calculator I'm right on the edge of overweight.

Yeah, that sounds normal for a woman with a lot of muscle. Muscle can really blow the BMI scale for men, but it usually doesn't put women much outside the healthy range.
  • bopstedal
    bopstedal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You know your body better than the doctor...if you're happy with the # on the scale and feel good then that's all you need. If you don't have any obvious health problems, be happy with the great weight loss success you've had. Charts are meant to be guidelines not hard fast rules.