really embarassing problem

Options
2»

Replies

• healthytanya1
    healthytanya1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If you take your meds in the morning try waiting til after you use the bathroom.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Honestly, I would advice against using Senna. While natural, it can still be hard on your body. I've used it for quite some time (make that months) but it creates dependance, the effectiveness was slowly decreasing and it'd leave me bloated all day even if I'd go daily because of it.

I slowly backed off of it taking it once every other day and incorporated other things into my diet and daily habits to avoid taking laxatives again.
    While I still have some days where it's not really running smoothly (this mostly happens when I eat the wrong things) so far what really worked for me:

- Next to water, WARM liquids. Coffee (though in moderation) and teas, especially ones that contain spices, are great :)

- MAGNESIUM. Let me tell you this did wonders for me. All it does is attract water to the bowels, but it doesn't create dependence and icky cramps. I take 1000mg in the morning after breakfast and 1000mg 1-2 hours before bed, and make sure you'll drink water or tea after taking them before bed.

- Try also not to overdo your fiber. I used to obsess over it, averaging 30-40 grams a day, but it only makes bloating WORSE. I now only get 15-25grams a day and do much better.

- When decreasing fiber, INCREASE healthy fats. I eat a lot of nuts. Pecans, cashews and walnuts are especially good :)

- Keep an eye on your vitamin C!

- And usually, I try to avoid eating these as much as possible; they usually create problems for the following days after I ate them; white potatoes, a lot of onions, white breads, refined sugars, cheeses and milk that comes from cows.

Hope this helps :) I know how hard it can be!

I would just like to reinterate magnesium. I take magnesium citrate pills/capsules (NOTE: MAGNESIUM CITRATE IS LIQUID FORM IS NOT THE SAME THING AND IS A SERIOUS LAXATIVE...STAY AWAY). Also, magnesium gyconate in pill/capsule form works well, too. keeps me very regular.

Obviously, with your IBS issues...definitely a doctor should be consulted before tyring any supplements.
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    First, keep in mind that not all fiber is the same and that you are really in need of soluble fiber. And while you may get enough from foods for normal health purposes, it seems almost impossible to get enough that way to help with drug-induced constipation. Psyllium seems to be by far the best option as a supplement for bowel health (as well as cholesterol lowering and other benefits associated with soluble fiber). Easiest way to get your hands on it is traditional Metamucil sold in supermarkets and drugstores. Just make sure the package actually says psyllium on it because Metamucil has introduced some non-psyllium products.

That said, fiber alone is probably not enough for severe drug-induced constipation. Then you start running the gamut of other options from stool softeners to laxatives. Miralax is what I've heard the most from medical professionals. You go from things that are fairly mild (and just draw more moisture into the intestines) to those that actually irritate them into action. But the problem is that all of these also interfere with nutrient absorption. And drug absorption. So they are OK to use occasionally but problematic for a chronic condition. That's why you really need to work with a doctor on this.

Finally, if the problem is being caused by Opioid painkillers that you will be on for an extended period of time then you definitely need to talk to your doctor. There are a number of drugs available, and more on the way, for treating this special case. Some may address other conditions as well. You mentioned you take something for IBS, and Lubiprostone is a drug used for constipation in both Opioid-induced and IBS-related constipation. But only a doctor could say if it was appropriate for your specific condition.
  • estatitra
    estatitra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Bran Buds cereal every morning and plenty of water works like a charm.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    another vote for "are you eating enough good healthy fats?" (your diary isn't open) Lots of people who make a change in their eating habits in order to lose weight feel like they need to go low-fat everything. Eating foods with fat content doesn't make us fat...too many calories do. Healthy fats help us digest protein and also lubricate the system. (nuts, avocado, olive oil, etc)

Of course if it's a serious problem go see your Dr, too.
  • DeeGreen1978
    DeeGreen1978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i'm going to go to the doctors and see what they say as my problem is so severe and I really don't know what to do as there are so many options. xx
  • DeeGreen1978
    DeeGreen1978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    well I've upped my fibre in take, taken more IBS tablets and am drinking a lot more warm water and it has made a lot of difference. thank you everyone!!
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have IBS too, and allow I'm not constipated, I naturally have slow digestion. Too much fibre can just bulk everything up and be counter-productive with IBS. Try pro-biotics, That's the advice I've had from my doctor- day 3 and I'm already more often than "normal". You need to make sure you get good fats- nuts, avocados etc. Try natural laxatives rather than the chemical ones if you feel it will help. Also try peppermint oil capsules- they ease bloating and can help with digestion.
    Something else that really helps me is running- not sure on your fitness levels, so maybe try a jog or fast power walk (biggest help i've found so far)
    Good luck!