Everyone's out to get me

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If you can't resist temptation, the only thing left to do is to avoid it.

Stay out of Starbucks if you haven't got the stones to say no.

Meanwhile I am lamenting that I was not offered one single free sample at Starbucks this week? Can anyone tell me (pm) is this a today only promotion, and it is at all the Starbuckses because if so I gotta add it to today's schedule.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    If you can't resist temptation, the only thing left to do is to avoid it.

Stay out of Starbucks if you haven't got the stones to say no.

Meanwhile I am lamenting that I was not offered one single free sample at Starbucks this week? Can anyone tell me (pm) is this a today only promotion, and it is at all the Starbuckses because if so I gotta add it to today's schedule.

Would you care for a free sample?
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    d715fb57-2f55-45ce-94cf-1c0dbf000c40.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    uhhh... it's a scientific fact that all free samples have zero calories. Just like doughnut holes, people!

;-)
  • SHDenver
    SHDenver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My favorite Starbucks drink is a large iced coffee, 2 sweet n lows (EVIL SUGAR SUBSTITUTE!) and about an ounce of half and half. Easy on the calories and satisfying. :)

Next time they offer you something you could scream, flip their tray full of samples on to the floor, and run out of the building erratically... In that order. Just make sure someone is taping it.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered why people feel it is necessary to try and talk me into something that I have graciously said no thank you to, until I have to get rude about it, and then they look at me like I'm some kind of mean *****. When I say, "oh thank you, but I'll pass" that means no, no matter who you are or what you are offering. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

Because it's their job? They will get into trouble if they aren't persistent.

I worked retail in high school and you were required to get in customers' faces and give them your whole speech and hound them asking if they need anything. I eventually quit but it was a nightmare, especially since I'm one of those shoppers who doesn't want anyone talking to me. I'll come find you if I need something.

Trust me, they're not going it because they want to but because they have to.

Just a little perspective for you.

Yep. Sounds like my retail work experience also.

I definitely don't look back fondly of working in retail-hell.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Starbucks is there because they want you to buy their coffee. They're not out to get you personally, they just want to make money. If you want to avoid that, pop open your laptop at home or the library.

Edit for typo.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am reminded of the time, recently when I completed my first ever 5k. I was very pleased with myself and with what it would be doing to aid my fitness and weight loss. And then they gave me a "race goodie bag" with 2 chocolate bars in it! Doh!
  • WontShareChocolate
    Options
    So, here I am, inside a Starbucks. Just flipped open the laptop to enter food/exercise details, and made a conscious choice to NOT HAVE a Venti Mocha with Whipped Cream. So far, so good. However, withing ten minutes the kindly staff are doing the rounds, handing out free samples of some divine creation.

The funny thing: whenever a person suggests they'd better not, the reply is always, "come on, one won't do you any harm". Always makes me laugh.

This has obviously been touched on before. Simply reminds of just how much is pushed our way... even when we go out of our way to avoid it in the first place.

Can't offer any motivation on this - I'm just an average slob :-)

FIFY.

And BTW, WTF are you doing in a Starbucks anyways if you don't want the good good sweet and nasty gushy stuff?

Oh and BTotherW. Don't come to my house for my free wifi because there WILL be offers of chocolate. Today's selections include but are not limited to chocolate covered peanut butter filled pretzels, fun size snickers, fun size hersheys, fundraiser milk chocolate bar and one with almonds, chocolate milk, mint chocolate sticks from nordstrom, coffee with cocoa and chili powder, coconut milk based chocolate "ice cream", actual chocolate ice cream from dryers, chocolate chip cookies, and gihirardelli sea salt dark chocolate with almonds. I say not limited to because there can oftentimes be a "chocolate run" at any time.

We reserve the right to serve any kind of chocolate to anyone.

--60000--35446_product_1046688008_thumb_large.jpg

Ill be right over....please dont refuse me service chocolate paradise is my dream!!!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I never have a problem with this kind of thing and they *never* tell me to come on and try one 'cause just one won't hurt. It'a all in what vibe you give off. People sense when you're feeling wishy-washy inside.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    So, here I am, inside a Starbucks. Just flipped open the laptop to enter food/exercise details, and made a conscious choice to NOT HAVE a Venti Mocha with Whipped Cream. So far, so good. However, withing ten minutes the kindly staff are doing the rounds, handing out free samples of some divine creation.

The funny thing: whenever a person suggests they'd better not, the reply is always, "come on, one won't do you any harm". Always makes me laugh.

This has obviously been touched on before. Simply reminds of just how much is pushed our way... even when we go out of our way to avoid it in the first place.

Can't offer any motivation on this - I'm just an average slob :-)

FIFY.

And BTW, WTF are you doing in a Starbucks anyways if you don't want the good good sweet and nasty gushy stuff?

For the free wi-fi

Sometimes "free" isn't really free after all, eh? Live and learn.

There's no such thing as a free lunch. Or free wifi apparently.
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Starbucks also sells black coffee that has minimal calories, last time I checked. Anyway, good for you for logging on and refusing. What I sometimes do to get someone out of my hair because they don't get 'no' is to say yes and then leave it there (or put it in the garbage later). I do this with my neighbour who is always baking stuff. I give it away or freeze it for when company comes (dont' tell her, ha ha)
    But then, I don't like sweet coffee so I wouldn't be tempeted... but if they were handing out cookie samples I'd have a harder time , ha ha.
    Something I do when I'm going into a bakery (to buy whole wheat bread) or a Starbucks (to buy black coffee) is to talk to myself forr 1 min outside the door and remind myself why I'm there (not for the free samples, the last min purchase of 1000 calories, etc) and it works more times than note...just thought I'd pass this on.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Step one : Remove stick from @ss.
    Step two : Take the sample graciously, smile, enjoy.
    Step three : Understand that perfection is impossible, and that rules are like trees. When the bend, they are less likely to break.

Or just say no, and don't expect the world to revolve around your goals. That works too.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    so let me get this straight. you got free wi-fi and a free coffee sample that incidentally sounds ****ing delicious? tough life, homes.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered why people feel it is necessary to try and talk me into something that I have graciously said no thank you to, until I have to get rude about it, and then they look at me like I'm some kind of mean *****. When I say, "oh thank you, but I'll pass" that means no, no matter who you are or what you are offering. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

I worked retail in high school and you were required to get in customers' faces and give them your whole speech and hound them asking if they need anything. I eventually quit but it was a nightmare, especially since I'm one of those shoppers who doesn't want anyone talking to me. I'll come find you if I need something.

Yes, very true. CVS cashiers get written up if they don't scan your Extracare card. Even if you're buying a pack of cigarettes or a jug of milk. I got into near-standoffs with customers because they refused to let me scan a card.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options

This was one of the major things I hated about working retail. I used to get in trouble a lot for not signing people up for credit cards. I was a good worker otherwise--worked weekends, nights, came in when someone called off-- I just refused to do this part of it.

Hmmm I never have a problem with this kind of thing and they *never* tell me to come on and try one 'cause just one won't hurt. It'a all in what vibe you give off. People sense when you're feeling wishy-washy inside.

The ***** vibe and stare down has always served me well! :wink:
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options

14 years of retail MADE me a shopper that doesn't want help...
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    When I go work at Starbucks for the ambiance and the wifi, I usually buy something - water or a skinny latte (I think it's like 140 calories and it's pretty good!) I didn't realize people went there and sat for hours and bought nothing.

When people offer me something I don't want, I never say "No, thank you." I say "I'm good" or "I'm all set." People assume you're full or you just ate when you say that, and it's a lot more definitive than a "No" they can work around.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

This. I worked in retail in college and this was the part I hated most about my job but it was required.
    The "third time's the charm" rule for asking customer's questions is a pretty standard procedure in sales and marketing. The idea is that lot of people say no the first time out of habit or politeness, so a lot of "nos" will turn into "yes" on the second try. A lot of people will still change their mind after the third time you ask them but if someone still says no the third time, then it is unlikely to change to a yes. It seems like a strange idea since a lot of people operate under the idea that when they say no they mean it, but there are a surprising amount of people that change their mind after the second or third ask.

So, there is a method to the "madness." Don't take it out too much on the workers, it's probably their bosses that required them to do it.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I would just tell the truth that i was trying to lose weight and i cannot afford to have whatever they were offering(but to be honest i think i would take it just to try out something new and adjust in my calories for the day!)