Making Your Veggies Less Boring? Share Your Recipes!

Options
124»

Replies

• Annieway987
    Annieway987 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ratatouille - a vegetable stew with eggplant - I don't think anyone else listed this

Cut up in bite size pieces zucchini, egg plant, yellow squash, onions, bell pepper, mushrooms, any other juicy veggies (NOT things like potatoes or parsnips) as much as you can fit in your pan and still be able to stir it up. The eggplant and zucchini are required for it to be a proper ratatouille. I use my wok which isn't traditional but works great. I don't like bell pepper so I leave that out. Put a little olive oil in the bottom, add some minced garlic and throw in all the veggies, salt and pepper to taste and whatever herbs you like (oregano, basil, bay leaf...). It will cook down and get smaller in a few minutes. Don't put in any water - juices will magically appear. Stir it up from the bottom while cooking on medium high until the juices start to accumulate and the veggies are starting to get softer. Add a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes including the juice and simmer for another 5-10 minutes until the veggies are done.

Options:
    Hot sauce
    finely chopped jalopeno or other hot pepper
    canned beans or chick peas
    Cooked chicken, sausage, any other meat - this makes it a pretty complete meal
    Sometimes we have this with rice to soak up the tasty juices.
    Sprinkle parmesan cheese on your portion

I make a big pot full and it lasts the 2 of us several days. It reheats just fine in the microwave. I haven't done the nutritional analysis but the veggies involved are all low calorie and you need very little oil.
  • suemin68
    suemin68 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I was lazy this evening so I chopped

200g zucchini
    150g Butternut squash in pieces
    200g tomatoes, put them in a casserole dish with
    50g ricotta,
    herbs, salt, pepper on top, baked for 25min at 250°C,
    Put egg on top (sunny side up) and left it in the oven for another 5-10min.

Cals 280

It was really good!!

Veggies just are never bored in my kitchen :laugh:
  • ljmena
    ljmena Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    These are some great ideas, everyone!

A Thai friend brought me fresh steamed pumpkin, black Thai rice, and coconut one day. I was super skeptical at first, but let me tell you, it was delicious! Since this is pumpkin season, it may be worth a try.

Or you can simply steam or cook fresh pumpkin, sprinkle it with pumpkin spice and nutmeg, and you can capture that pumpkin pie flavor. (If you feel adventurous, adding fresh coconut in with that, gives it this really refreshing flavor as well. You find fresh coconut in the refrigerated section, just to let everyone know.)
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Bump! :smile:
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vickylhutton
    vickylhutton Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Aubergine or Eggplant I love and here are a couple of things I do with it.

Char grill (under grill/over gas hob or bbq) until soft. Peel and allow to cool. Finely chop, mix with salt to taste, couple of crushed garlic and about 5 tablespoons of yoghurt or half a big pot. You can top with melted butter and paprika/chilli flakes but this is optional.

My other favourite is to prep the aubergine the same way (chared), also do pepper sweet and chilli (depending how hot you like your food). A couple of tomatoes can also be chared or left raw. Plus an onion. Chop everything up put in a bowl add salt, ground cumin, chilli/paprika, crushed garlic (as much as you want) olive oil and pomegranate molasses.
  • 3azeema
    3azeema Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Baked sweet potato fries...so good! so nutritious! I am baking some right now,

Very easy to make,

1-2 sweet potatoes, wash, scrub but leave the skin on as it's the best bit.
    1-2 tbsp on olive oil
    1/2 tbsp of whatever spice/seasonings you fancy - I use a Jamaican curry spice mix
    1/2 tsp sugar/cinnamon (optional)

Cut up the sweet potato into thin strips, try and make the strips equal in thickness
    Coat the fries in olive oil and then sprinkle on your spices, you can use your hands to evenly coat everything

Bake at gas mark 6/200 c/ 400 f for 30 minutes (turn the fries around after 15 minutes)

Leave to cool for 5 mins and voila....non-boring veggies
    Yum!
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Baked sweet potato fries...so good! so nutritious! I am baking some right now,

Very easy to make,

1-2 sweet potatoes, wash, scrub but leave the skin on as it's the best bit.
    1-2 tbsp on olive oil
    1/2 tbsp of whatever spice/seasonings you fancy - I use a Jamaican curry spice mix
    1/2 tsp sugar/cinnamon (optional)

Cut up the sweet potato into thin strips, try and make the strips equal in thickness
    Coat the fries in olive oil and then sprinkle on your spices, you can use your hands to evenly coat everything

Bake at gas mark 6/200 c/ 400 f for 30 minutes (turn the fries around after 15 minutes)

Leave to cool for 5 mins and voila....non-boring veggies
    Yum!
    I love sweet potatoes and will be making these soon! Thanks!
  • mloumason
    mloumason Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Original recipe makes 2 to 3 servings Change Servings

1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed

1 stalk celery, chopped

1/2 onion, chopped

1 tablespoon mayonnaise

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 teaspoon dried dill weed

salt and pepper to taste

Drain and rinse chickpeas. Pour chickpeas into a medium size mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Mix in celery, onion, mayonnaise (to taste), lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper to taste.

just made this for lunch got the recipe off of allrecipes taste yummy can't wait for it to sit for a few hours and chill lunch will be soooo good just gonna add a light pita and done.
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Bumpty bump bump...cha cha cha
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i made a spaghetti squash casserole last night with random stuff i had and it was really good! i don't really have a recipe per say but try this:

cook the spaghetti squash, let cool, gut out seeds/pulp and then with a fork scrape out the squash insides. leave those on a cutting board.

while the squash is cooling, i microwaved a bag of steam fresh mixed veggies. you can use any type of mixed veg really, i just used green beans peas carrots blend, you can add other veggies like peppers onions mushrooms spinach broccoli etc.

i tossed the spaghetti squash with spices such as garlic powder, oregano, onion powder, sage, dillweed, black pepper, salt

i then made 2 servings of instant mashed potatoes but if you have potatoes you can mash them yourself. i made them with water and after they were done seasoned with salt pepper garlic powder and added a little olive oil.

mix the seasoned spaghetti squash with the cooked mixed veggies, toss in a casserole dish. then spread the mashed potatoes on top, and top that with shredded cheddar jack cheese or other cheese of preference.

bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes.

makes 3 large servings, at least 9 ounces or more in weight for about 262 calories. you add ground beef, turkey or sausage to it as well or a meatless protein source like crumbled tofu, meatless grounds, setitan.

i will be making this again, maybe with mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes and another source of protein
  • dgbush0208
    dgbush0208 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Love spaghetti squash.....it's easy to cook and take for lunch.

Cut spaghetti squash in half and scoop out seeds. Spray cookie sheet with Pam and place both halves with cut side down. Roast in oven at 375-400 degrees for about 30-40 min. Let cool for a few minutes and then scoop pulp out into bowl. Spray with a few squirts of spray butter and season with salt and pepper.

Grilled zucchini.... I like to cut these in long oval pieces. I spray with Crisco Olive Oil cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. I either grill on our outside grill or on the cast iron grill pan inside.

Portabella Mushrooms...... Use spoon to remove gills from underneath. Lay in pan with cap side down. Fill with chopped tomatoes and a little goat cheese. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes until heated through.
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ShastaW77
    Options
    I like to steam my broccoli and carrot chips. Then, add a dab of butter and sprinkle with Mrs. Dash's original blend for great flavoring. Tasty!
  • inverseofmissy
    inverseofmissy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Not really a recipe, but when I don't want a plain old steamed veggie I use Kernel Season's popcorn seasonings on my veggies. They have butter, white cheddar, nacho cheddar (my favorite) and ranch- they are all REALLY good and only 2 cals per 1/4 tsp. I use the butter one instead of butter and I swear it tastes just like butter- I rave about them to everyone lol! Also I like to use hidden valley ranch powder when I'm cooking veggies, or those sazon goya seasoning packets add loads of savory flavor and make anything taste like you've been slaving over the stove for hours.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm probably boring, but I like to steam my veggies and eat them with low fat cottage cheese stirred through. It's tasted good with any veggie combo I've tried, but my favourites are broccoli, cauliflour and carrot :)
  • tinalamont73
    Options
    I'm a little bit obsessed with roasted butternut squash and sweet potatoes at the moment. Toss in a little olive oil, salt, pepper, finely chopped garlic, chopped chilli and fresh thyme. AMAZING with a pork chop/chicken breast/on it's own!
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I'm getting bored with eating the same old vegetables. Mostly I cook kale, broccoli, spinach, and stringed beans. I would love to try aspargus, zucchini, and maybe even egg plants (these options still kind of scare me, but I'm trying to be adventurous). I need to add some variety and add some spice to my life. :-) Please share how you cook your vegetables including sauces and or seasonings you use. Help! :sad:

Have you tried shopping at the greengrocers???