Loving Low Carb diet! Anyone have questions?

Options
13»

Replies

• Beautyne
    Options
    I started this post because I wanted to gather all the low carb dieters out there, so we could ask each other questions about what we eat throughout the day. That is allll, I'm learning about this too, and I'm by no means saying i'm an expert, I'm on here discussing it, teaching people what I know and learning from others.
  • Beautyne
    Options
    Edited: (I have difficulties answering more than one question at a time, sorry lol)

I was tracking it on a piece of paper, I would look it up online. I just discovered MFP, it's genius! And I've been doing it for a few months now, before that I was just eating 1200 healthy calories, and it worked for a while and then I just stopped losing weight for weeks. I decided to look into low carb and tried it not expecting any results but it surprised me and actually worked (holy crap).

What are you doing?? Just curious, you look good!

Sorry for hounding you. I was wondering, as when you switch to low carb, you lose a lot of water weight. Carbs make you retain water. If low carb makes you adhere better, and you find it easy with no energy issues, then there is nothing wrong with it. Just make sure you get a good amount of fats as low carb and low fats is not a good thing to do.

Not sure if the compliment was at me.

Thanks for the concern! Just so you know I'm not going around promoting un healthy lifestyles haha I'm just trying to start conversation on here.. friendly conversation ya know?

But yeah, the compliment was to you! :p

No worries - and thank you =).

I just stick to a reasonable caloric deficit, hit my macros (high'ish protein and moderate fats and carbs when cutting - higher carbs when bulking), try to get a broad variety of foods (micros and tastiness) and lift weights. No specific diet or restrictions (other than the fact that I am a vegetarian - but that is not for health or weight loss reasons).

That's awesome! I'm a pescitarian, been one for almost 3 years now, gonna switch to vegetarian, then eventually vegan. I threw out all my animal tested makeup, and anything that contained animal products in it such as clothes and products. It's been a good 3 years.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I started this post because I wanted to gather all the low carb dieters out there, so we could ask each other questions about what we eat throughout the day. That is allll, I'm learning about this too, and I'm by no means saying i'm an expert, I'm on here discussing it, teaching people what I know and learning from others.

Not saying you should not post on the main forums at all. But this may be helpful

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

ETA: my writing style is blunt and can appear interrogatory - not intended to harangue you.
  • Beautyne
    Options

Not saying you should not post on the main forums at all. But this may be helpful

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

ETA: my writing style is blunt and can appear interrogatory - not intended to harangue you.

thanks! I'll check that out.

haha ok, don't worry I don't get offended that easily, I just don't want cattiness ya know? Just a fun friendly environment cause that's what weight loss should be, a positive experience. It's nice to meet another vegetarian who's super fit though, it's rare to find.
  • tiddlebit11
    Options
    What exactly are you counting as 'low carb'?

As in what are your macros each day? Or aboutsish anyway

Ie carb:protein:fat ?
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I'm a pescitarian, been one for almost 3 years now, gonna switch to vegetarian, then eventually vegan. I threw out all my animal tested makeup, and anything that contained animal products in it such as clothes and products. It's been a good 3 years.

so low carbs, no meat, preparing to cut out fish and eventually all animal products ... you are not a breatharian by any chance? Cause you know, that doesn't work, right?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Actually, I thought that at one point! but then I just hit a plateau eating whatever (healthy of course) and didn't lose for weeks! I then decided to try out low carb, high fat not thinking it was gonna work and it did!

I've read about people who do it eating 1500 calories, still works!

I'm eating keto. I take in a little over 1500 a day and am losing weight! My measurements, after stalling for months, went down too. Lost 2 inches off my waist, 3 inches off my hips and 2.5 inches off my thighs. I started keto at the end of July.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Ok, I dont know if this article was peer reviewed but it does make good points!

"I imagine that if protein were going to be converted to fat, it would first have to be converted to glucose and only if the amount produced were then in excess of daily maintenance requirements would there be conversion to fat. But as noted above, this simply isn’t going to happen under any even reasonably normal circumstances. No human could eat enough protein on a daily basis for it to occur."

So basically it's only gonna happen if you're eating excess amounts of protein, which makes sense. Guess it's all about trial.

Articles are not peer reviewed. However, his are based on solid scientific research.

^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^

This is so so important. Anyone can write an article and you have no idea how valid it really is. People can write eating 500 calories of juice a day is a great way to lose weight but just because they say it doesn't mean it has any validity at all. Peer reviewed scientific research on the other hand is factual. If you read articles have a look for the referenced reports - and go and have a look on goggle scholar to see if they are real :-)
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people cringe when others say low carb...the SAD is so ridiculously high in carbs. Unless you are an athlete, of course.

Maybe it was the poor execution of the Atkins diet that scared everyone...it did me.

Wheat, sugar, etc all cause inflammation. Chronic Inflammation is BAD. Refined carbs (even whole wheat breads) cause a myriad of symptoms, including false sense of hunger, water retention, and insulin spikes.

FOR ME, I like the amount of food a low carb diet allows me. I can eat a pile of vegetables (good carbs) and a nice hunk of meat for a LOT less calories than a teeny little sandwich. And I'll be satisfied for hours...carbs make me want to snack and eat all day long.

It doesn't mean I'll never eat a sandwich again. But it does mean that sandwiches are now looked at as if they are a treat to budget for rather than my every single day lunch. And that isn't bad...or unhealthy. For me, this is definitely sustainable for the long haul...I think its a kinder way to feed my body.