Guys working out their triceps with the rope thing?!?!?!!

Options

Replies

• RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    And wearing gloves while doing the rope thing!!! X2 hotness

I'm still of the opinion that if someone can't do the exercise barehanded then he shouldn't be doing it. But I'm just old fashioned that way. Calluses FTW.

I dont look good with callouses though so I use gloves. What about girls who use the rope pulley what do guys think of that? :tongue:

I don't mind as long as you don't hog it. :wink: And if someone, male or female, wants to protect their little dainty-hands that's cool by me. Maybe the dude is a hand model? :tongue:
  • RECowgill
    Options
    listen to who you want, but the rope **** is not necessary! But what do I know! Still trying to get bigger!

I think everyone's mileage is gonna vary, but to me there are few better compound-style arm exercises than the face pull. Its hard to do it without a rope pulley. I feel like it works the whole arm very effectively, and obviously the upper back/rear delts (which are hard to hit effectively), and just about everything else while you're at it. Just me personally, I'd put the face pull in the top 5 most important lifting exercises or at least a close 6th. :glasses:

Sorry, but I wouldn't put any arm exercise in the top 10! Arms are secondary movers, and you get enough from the prime compound lifts! Not saying you shouldn't do some arm stuff if you feel like it...but to put any arm lift in the top 10 is rediculous in my opinion...emphasize "opinion" before I get beat up!

Well just so you know where I'm coming from, I thought about it and this is how I would prioritize the importance of various exercises. Like if you could only do 1, it would be the top 1. If you could only ever do 2, the top 2. Etc. And for me this is a tough list to figure out, I'm probably leaving off something really important. But whatever, its just the internet right?

1. Squats
    2. Deadlifts
    3. Pullups
    4. Flat Bench
    5. Arnold Press
    6. Face Pulls

I left off some kind of lunge, and some kind of row. But those are judgement calls. And obviously I would place compound, full body, leg type exercises at the top. Which is what I did. If something like lunges and rows had to be added to the list and it was a top 10, I'd still want to put face pulls in there at 9 or 10.

It's cool man we both have opinions here. :drinker:

So, you'd put face pull over a standing overhead press, and barbell rows....LOL...LOL! Just sayin

Well more importantly I'd put Arnold presses over the OHP yes. And for big back movements, which is better... a row or a pullup? Overall, I'd probably go with the pullup. It's more practical to real life IMO. So in my book, doing arnolds and pullups sorta makes the 2 you cite redundant. But its just my opinion.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    And...this is why a guy asks for lifting advice from other guys!

Haha, well played, sir. Well played. :wink:
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    listen to who you want, but the rope **** is not necessary! But what do I know! Still trying to get bigger!

I think everyone's mileage is gonna vary, but to me there are few better compound-style arm exercises than the face pull. Its hard to do it without a rope pulley. I feel like it works the whole arm very effectively, and obviously the upper back/rear delts (which are hard to hit effectively), and just about everything else while you're at it. Just me personally, I'd put the face pull in the top 5 most important lifting exercises or at least a close 6th. :glasses:

Sorry, but I wouldn't put any arm exercise in the top 10! Arms are secondary movers, and you get enough from the prime compound lifts! Not saying you shouldn't do some arm stuff if you feel like it...but to put any arm lift in the top 10 is rediculous in my opinion...emphasize "opinion" before I get beat up!

Well just so you know where I'm coming from, I thought about it and this is how I would prioritize the importance of various exercises. Like if you could only do 1, it would be the top 1. If you could only ever do 2, the top 2. Etc. And for me this is a tough list to figure out, I'm probably leaving off something really important. But whatever, its just the internet right?

1. Squats
    2. Deadlifts
    3. Pullups
    4. Flat Bench
    5. Arnold Press
    6. Face Pulls

I left off some kind of lunge, and some kind of row. But those are judgement calls. And obviously I would place compound, full body, leg type exercises at the top. Which is what I did. If something like lunges and rows had to be added to the list and it was a top 10, I'd still want to put face pulls in there at 9 or 10.

It's cool man we both have opinions here. :drinker:

So, you'd put face pull over a standing overhead press, and barbell rows....LOL...LOL! Just sayin

Well more importantly I'd put Arnold presses over the OHP yes. And for big back movements, which is better... a row or a pullup? Overall, I'd probably go with the pullup. It's more practical to real life IMO. So in my book, doing arnolds and pullups sorta makes the 2 you cite redundant. But its just my opinion.

Think what you want!...My original quote was the rope **** was not necessary, and you've said nothing to prove otherwise!
  • infamousdrew76
    Options

Thanks You...not trying to be a prick, but trying to point to what is a huge double standard imo!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

Thanks You...not trying to be a prick, but trying to point to what is a huge double standard imo!

lol, I would have described that exercise the same way if I wasn't near a computer and able to look up the name of it first, and I'm sure any guy I was advising would be like, "wtf is she talking about?" :laugh:
  • RECowgill
    Options
    Think what you want!...My original quote was the rope **** was not necessary, and you've said nothing to prove otherwise!

I actually agree with that, the rope isn't strictly necessary by that definition. I was just saying that I like face pulls and I feel I respond well to them. I also was just trying to point out that if you are going to use the rope, this is one of the best and often overlooked exercises to do with that equipment.
  • infamousdrew76
    Options

lol, I would have described that exercise the same way if I wasn't near a computer and able to look up the name of it first, and I'm sure any guy I was advising would be like, "wtf is she talking about?" :laugh:

But, to be fair...there are plenty of men that probably don't have a clue either!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    It really is :) your def not alone lol
  • _Fenrir_
    _Fenrir_ Posts: 471
    Options
    Just noticed this at the gym today, but such a turn on, don't know why? Just being honest, not trying to offend anyone btw.

Anyone else feel the same? :)

Tricep extensions on the cable machine.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Omg, I'm so offended.

Just kidding! :wink:

Haha funny :)

I just said it because some people get weirdly offended, even in broad topics.

Yeah, I understand! It's sweet that you were being thoughtful of that.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    So, OP, did you have a stimulating workout this morning?
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    lol noted - do more rope pressdowns haha
  • sugaspice999
    Options
    Haha yes I did! Really hot guy I always see in the sauna was there too and said hi! But I never see him doing triceps :( they're still massive. I think I went too early today, rope area was empty.

How do you guys get huge triceps? I'm so jelly, mine just don't grow :( working on growing lower body/glutes now and abs and I know I don't work them often enough, but I work tris like 2x week at-least
  • sugaspice999
    Options
    Meeper and binary pulsar, thanks! And glad I'm not alone!

And cowgills pictures posted. I feel like trying the pull downs but might fall down or do something embarassing (not too hard for to do haha) but I guess I'll never know if I don't try!

Ps any other workouts/exercises that turn YOU on? (To all posters, not exclusively asking anyone :) )
    And before I offend anyone, I know we're going there to workout, but just curious, because as much as I try to not look up in between sets, somethings just catch my eye and I can't really help but look.
  • _Fenrir_
    _Fenrir_ Posts: 471
    Options
    Skullcrushers are excellent for triceps
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Ps any other workouts/exercises that turn YOU on? (To all posters, not exclusively asking anyone :) )
    And before I offend anyone, I know we're going there to workout, but just curious, because as much as I try to not look up in between sets, somethings just catch my eye and I can't really help but look.

namaste_right_here_18324.jpg
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

Excuse me, that was rather annoying. I try not to judge the whole male race based on one ignorant comment.
    There are some of us women who actually know their weights workouts. lol.

I'm sure many of you do!...and good on you! Maybe I was wrong, but I couldn't help but thnk of an earlier thread where a man asked for other male advice! The thread, (IMO), turned into a bunch of insecure women bashing because he asked for male advice and they had to interject, despite the countless "women who lift" threads!

Double Standard in my opinion, and I apoligize to you ma'am for my earlier comment!

LOL sorry I am new to the community aspect of MFP and had not noticed that. I am just surrounded by guys here who think I know nothing about anything related to health and fitness. I also went to an all girls school so I know what you are talking about. On behalf of all strong women, I apoligise :D
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Skullcrushers are excellent for triceps

I superset tricep pushdowns and skullcrushers using a decline bench, low cable pulley and an ezibar attachment. The stretch and subsequent pump after 3 supersets of 10-12 reps is freaking awesome!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the rope thing -- it's awesome for triceps and also there's a killer chest exercise I do with it as well. :-) Not sure if it's sexy or not haha