Sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsBingley
    Options
    Well I'm afraid that the effect of sugar on the body doesn't come down to 'point of view'...

I expect diabetics would disagree with you strongly.

As far as your point of view, well...that's what the ignore button is for.

I've said my piece and you've said yours.
    Shrug.
    tumblr_lh7p9f0HhZ1qz7a4co1_400.gif

No, I'm pretty sure diabetics would also agree with me that the effect of sugar on the body doesn't come down to 'point of view'.
    I wasn't sharing my point of view, I was explaining that it's calories that will make you gain weight, not merely sugar. And as far as I'm aware there isn't an ignore button.

Calories in/calories out always applies. That said, diabetics DO react differently to sugar (ALL sugar, including that synthesized by the body from fat of carbs). That's what a diabetic IS, someone who has a hard time metabolizing sugar, so it gets stuck in the blood. High blood sugar.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sugar is sugar...

as long as you are staying under your calorie goal and eating in a deficit you will lose weight and you can eat sugar...

this assumes no underlying medical issue..
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Theres a couple of great books out on sugar which go into it in detail,( Think it sweet poison, has a donut on cover) but the upshot of it is that 2 pieces of fruit is maximum. See if you can switch your 3rd piece to a veg!

Good Luck
    just because its in a book doesnt mean its true.

There is no practical evidence against sugar, only straw man conclusions drawn from studies

This!

"Nobody is overweight because they ate too much produce" -- harlanJen

The sugar count in MFP is for added sugars, not fruits and veggies.

I never paid much attention to sugar as long as I focused on nutritious food.
  • Bama56
    Bama56 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i dont even worry about natural sugars at all, as long as you are staying away from the added and refined sugars you will be fine. Like others said, overall calories and macros are more important.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Do my 3 candy bars and bowl of ice cream today count?
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "count", but if you're wondering if those foods count as fruit, I think the answer is no. :flowerforyou:
  • BeachIron
    Options

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "count", but if you're wondering if those foods count as fruit, I think the answer is no. :flowerforyou:

lolwut?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

lolwut?

dont you know bro ...candy sugar is bad, but fruit sugar is good....duh...!
  • BeachIron
    Options

lolwut?

Yep. That's why we're all so fat.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options

lolwut?

Well, if that's you in your avatar, you're not fat. Then the only explanation I can think of is that you must sprinkle Dr. Oz's whiskey flavoured keytones on your candy bars and ice cream to counteract the evil sugar effects.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    poison
  • BeachIron
    Options

lolwut?

Well, if that's you in your avatar, you're not fat. Then the only explanation I can think of is that you must sprinkle Dr. Oz's whiskey flavoured keytones on your candy bars and ice cream to counteract the evil sugar effects.

Whiskey flavored keytones?

I'm being punked!
  • karent323
    karent323 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I might remove the sugar counter bit because it does upset me when I go over so early in the day. Now I just have to figure out how to change it! lol.
    I am losing weight and all my other "macros" (is that the word?) are fine. If I go over anything else it is protein and only on the days I do a lot of exercise. I love a good steak (love it too much) so that is my treat....
    Sugar has never been an issue at all. It is just that "in the red" number. lol.
    Cheriies are now in season so if I don't take the sugar macros out, I will live in the "red"
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    If you are losing & you don't have problems with ingesting sugar at that level, why not go into the goals tab and change your sugar goal? Or you could discontinue tracking sugar on a daily basis.

Fruit is good for you. As long as you are meeting your macros and calories, I wouldn't worry too much.

I agree. I swapped mine for Fiber, which is much more useful to me.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    If you are losing & you don't have problems with ingesting sugar at that level, why not go into the goals tab and change your sugar goal? Or you could discontinue tracking sugar on a daily basis.

Fruit is good for you. As long as you are meeting your macros and calories, I wouldn't worry too much.

I agree. I swapped mine for Fiber, which is much more useful to me.
    I swapped mine for Fiber as well. I do not track any sugar ever.
  • karent323
    karent323 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Done! Fibre it is then