Is anybody else eating 1200 calories per day?

Options

Replies

• DiKoehler
    DiKoehler Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Have been at that level for over 3 months and never hungry but we eat tons of vegetables and include a snack or two every day. We also track fiber and max on it every day and more. It is a bit of an effort to find food to fill up on but best seems to be things like mushrooms and eggplant because they are meaty, kale salads because we love them, cooked greens in servings like 1-2 cups, peppers stir fried. I also pick up string cheese sticks as they are fairly low cal and good on protein.
  • lassapoo246
    Options
    That is also my target amount of calories per day. To achieve it, I drink lots of water from the time I wake up. I eat very small portions of things each meal and load up on low calorie items to feel full, like wax beans, unsweetened beets, spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.

I avoid all processed sugars, even in my one coffee a day (stevia instead), and all white carbs like rice, pasta, bread, potatoes. One or two spoonfuls of these is all I'll ever put on my plate. Broccoli, squash, cauliflower, zucchini, chick peas, legumes are filling substitutes for these and much healthier. I never put sauces on anything, opting for a small tsp. of Becel margarine. If I want bread, I choose very thin rye.

Limit your meat portions to no more than 4 0z. especially red meat and choose lean cuts. Try eating on a small salad plate instead of a dinner plate at first. Snack on fruit, raw veggies, low fat yogurts, seeds, raisins in between meals.

Try to do 30 mins. per day of some kind of aerobic exercise, like a brisk walk with your dog, housecleaning, cycling or rollerblading. This allows me to enjoy a 5 oz. glass of red wine in the evenings or some other small indulgence.

Good luck, hope this helps.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I eat 1400 calories for desert daily. 1200 for a day would make me sad.

You know what makes me sad? 2+ year old threads.

Well, that and extreme calorie deficits.

If you creep those who are saying "1200 is fine", I haven't seen one that's still active, or reached goal 2 years later. Of course, I only checked the first 10 people or so, but still.

What is it that you keep saying, Jof? That people give the diet all the credit for the loss, but themselves all the blame for stagnation/regains? Instead of seeing that it was the extreme deficit that is unsustainable.

And people are still ignoring this. I'm done! People can stay fat lol
  • markgriffiths507
    markgriffiths507 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am
    I average 1200 per day.
    I have list 42LB so far with 10 to go.
    It's slowed a bit but slow and steady is the key I think..
  • Vossii
    Vossii Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have the same allowance, but they add on the amount of calories you burn when you exercise. So if your getting hungry, do some exercise then you can eat something else. But I definitely know what you mean, if you don't workout for the day 1200 is a very low amount. Try to fill up on low calorie veggies like salad or carrots. Good luck!
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I eat 1400 calories for desert daily. 1200 for a day would make me sad.

You know what makes me sad? 2+ year old threads.

Well, that and extreme calorie deficits.

If you creep those who are saying "1200 is fine", I haven't seen one that's still active, or reached goal 2 years later. Of course, I only checked the first 10 people or so, but still.

What is it that you keep saying, Jof? That people give the diet all the credit for the loss, but themselves all the blame for stagnation/regains? Instead of seeing that it was the extreme deficit that is unsustainable.

And people are still ignoring this. I'm done! People can stay fat lol

I'm curious how all the posters from 2 yrs ago are doing today. Especially the ladies eating 1000 calories and the others saying "you just have to get used to being hungry". I'm willing to bet they quit, or are still yo-yoing with a growling belly and constant migraines.

Ladies your body, like the veteran posters (and some more recent threads), knows what its talking about. Your body will not lie to you. If it says its hungry FEED IT!

Put down the boxed food and pick up something real.
    Do some research!

I would post some links that were given me but I'm on mobile now.
    You could try www.IIFYM.com and set your activity to sedintary...follow instructions...then tell MFP what YOU want it to say...then research why this may work (but not in old threads). But this is just off the top of my head because I've learned the MFP calculator is pretty crappy.

I wish you ladies luck and hope you find more recent threads where you don't ha e to take advice from other newbies and people that have probably long ago quit :flowerforyou:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    If I make it protein heavy I find it easy. Also, it could work well with intermittent fasting as I could have a nice satisfying dinner (my favourite meal) while staying within my cal allowance.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    :huh:

Zombies
    :grumble:
  • PZell
    PZell Posts: 1
    Options
    I will be starting today on the same calories per day and was just going to look and see if I could get some 1200 cal per day meal suggestions.
  • peppergrass401
    peppergrass401 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I try to drink more water/tea and split up my meals - for instance, instead of eating all of my lunch (approx 400 cals) at noon, I eat a third of it at 11-11:30, then another third at 1pm, then the last third at 3pm. If I eat slowly and pay attention, I notice I'm not starving after just a few bites. Trying to shift my focus from eating to feel full, to eating to not feel hungry. There is a difference.
  • cooky_monster
    cooky_monster Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Im trying to stick to 1200 calories but I still feel peckish in the evenings, but I guess its just something to get used to :smile: I think after a while your tummy shrinks so you don't need as much food to feel full as you used to...well that's the hope anyway :laugh:
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    In 2012 I lost 25 pounds in 6 weeks eating 1200 calories a day and exercising 2 hrs a day.
  • O_LeapingLizard
    O_LeapingLizard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1200 net now that I'm working out. When I started my food diary I counted up what I normally ate for the first 3 days. I was averaging around 2400 so cutting my food in half was hard the first 3 weeks. After my stomach shrunk down and I got used to it, I've been happy as a clam ever since. After losing the first 10 lbs I started an exercise routine. That's when I switched to eating 1200 net. That way I would still continue to lose nice and slowly and still be at the level I am at. It's worked out great. In a year I've lost 47lbs. Feel free to add me as a friend on the app. My username is Gamer88liz.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    You can be full on 1200 cals if you eat menthol eucalyptus candies, or mentos everytime u feel like u wanna eat.

mine goes like this

breakfast 300-350 kcals
    snack : candie30 cal
    lunch-300-400cals
    snack200 cals or 30 cal candy, depends if really hungry
    dinner 200 cals
    Snack: 30 cal candy

menthol candies are d best for me!:)
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    1200 for me. I had to get used to feeling hungry.

Success? Look at my ticker :wink:

I eat 1900 and rarely feel hungry. Success? Look at my ticker.
  • nashvillenellie
    nashvillenellie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I do 1250 m-f and sat and sun I do 1400-1500. This is how my Dr instructed me to do it.
  • blessey84
    blessey84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It depends on your level of activity too. 1200 cals was sending my body into starvation mode for the level of activity I do per day. I now eat 1600 per day and leave a deficit of 500 through exercise. Much more sustainable!
  • mwhite61451
    mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    1200 for me. I had to get used to feeling hungry.

Success? Look at my ticker :wink:

I eat 1900 and rarely feel hungry. Success? Look at my ticker.
    How did you decide on 1900?
  • Dickinson21
    Options
    I've been at 1200 calories for about 4 months now and I actually find it hard to get them all in in one day. You really need to watch what you eat and if you eat more raw vegetables, you will find that you can literally eat all day. I also don't eat past 7 PM because I find that I don't sleep well at night with my body busy digesting. I have also increased my water intake and that really helps control the hunger in between meals because a lot of times the signal of hunger is actually also a need for more fluids. Hope this helps.
  • joyrob65
    Options
    I am also on a 1200/day. I have only been doing this a week. The first couple days I was still hungry. But I think I learned the trick. When I try to eat a fruit and a vegetable at every meal, I don't use alot of calories and they seem to be keeping me full!! Try it, it is working for me and I used to be a very large eater!