How much time do you dedicate to lifting?

Options

Replies

• okgal247
    okgal247 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    30-40 minutes, 2-4 times per week.

A good workout can easily happen in 20-30 minutes. Most people don't need to spend nearly as much time workout out as they do.

I want to incorporate some weights into my routine- right now, it's strictly cardio. I have a very tight schedule (blah blah, med program, blah blah, papers, blah blah, job), and I'm happy that I get the 30 minutes I get in anywhere between 3 and 5 times/week. Do you think 15 minutes cardio and 15 minutes of weights would be beneficial? Or do I really need to drop one of my cardio days and do weight lifting only?
  • addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    3 times per week. 1-1.25 hours per session. Might go to 1.5 hours if I do cardio at the end
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    60 min 4x a week
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I spend about 35 minutes (actual workout time) in the gym lifting. I get in and get out! I find if I am with my partner or a friend that can stretch to 1 and half hours easily! I also like to go in the morning so there is less waiting for a machine etc.. I don't do any cardio during that session though, that is done outside of the gym.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    30-45 mins, 3 days a week that 30-45 mins is including the rest breaks too since i do 5x5 style workouts
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I do 5/3/1 four times a week. Each session last about 90 minutes. This includes some warm-up cardio and assistance lifts.
  • gojodster
    gojodster Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    35-45 mins 3 times a week, I do Chalene extreme.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    My weight lifting is usually 30 mins, 2-3 days a week. I add 30 min cardio on weight training days. On the off days, I usually do 60 min cardio. I go to a gym at work atm so I only go M-F.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    About an hour a session...3-4 days a week, depending on the routine I'm running. If I stayed true to my rest times more diligently, I could probably be in the 45-50 minute range.

ETA: Caveat, you are new to lifting. 3 times for 30 minutes a week for lifting should be all you need as a beginner to get the benefits. Just make sure "progressive overload" is your new favorite term.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Usually 45 minutes 3-4 times a week.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    4 days a week, 90 mins at a time. About 20-25 of that is warmup/cooldown/stretching/mobility work though.
  • DeeJayShank
    DeeJayShank Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do 45 minutes of circuit training 4x a week (crossfit-type lifting stuff), and run another 1-2 hours a week.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I like it when it doesn't take long to get it up.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I do about 45 min to an hour of lifting 2-3 times a week and then 1-2 HIIT workouts per week for like 20 minutes or less.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I spend a rather modest 30-40 minutes lifting (after a short warmup period) 2-3 times a week and on most other days do about 20 minutes of HIIT cardio. I feel the quality (push as hard as I can during a shorter time) rather than quantity (spending hours at a time in the gym) works best for me.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I lift 4x week, 60-75 minute workouts. I workout @ home.
  • Kristenbriseno
    Kristenbriseno Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weight train 6 times a week, the 7th day is cardio and abs. I do about 60-90 minute workouts.
  • robinsondel
    Options
    I'm just starting out, but I go to the gym, 4-5 times a week, 30 minutes treadmill about 30 minutes weights. I'm thinking about adding to my weights because I feel like I finish too quickly. But I do go by myself about 1am, so it's empty and I don't rest but a few seconds between sets, so maybe it's normal to finish quicker
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    60-90 minutes 3-4 times a week, at home. I was doing five compound lifts in every workout, but I've scaled that back this past week because I've been stalling out on the upper body lifts and losing weight when I didn't intend to. What I did this week and will try for the next 4-6 weeks is much closer to the Starting Strength novice program -- squats, bench or OHP, deadlifts -- that's it. I'm discovering that at my current stage, less is more and there are reasons I shouldn't be fiddling around with the program. So anyway, I expect my time per workout to drop to about 45-60 minutes.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    1 hour a day, 3 days per week