Is this just normal for colder weather?

Options
I swear this happens every year. I am up about 4 lbs. I've been working out just as hard as ever (6 days a week), making sure I'm eating (mostly) right, and drinking all my water. Yet my scale says I'm up about 4 lbs. I swear this happened last year too. I do weigh myself every morning, after I've peed, and before I have had any food or drink, so I think it's an accurate measure. It's so frustrating! I re-did my calories on the Scooby TDEE calculator, and gave it a new goal of a 5% loss (was maintaining before), so that should help. Just wondering if I'm alone with this or not!!

ETA: I mentioned the cooler weather since I thought maybe it was in our biology to "warm up" for the winter by adding body fat or something! LOL

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I swear this happens every year. I am up about 4 lbs. I've been working out just as hard as ever (6 days a week), making sure I'm eating (mostly) right, and drinking all my water. Yet my scale says I'm up about 4 lbs. I swear this happened last year too. I do weigh myself every morning, after I've peed, and before I have had any food or drink, so I think it's an accurate measure. It's so frustrating! I re-did my calories on the Scooby TDEE calculator, and gave it a new goal of a 5% loss (was maintaining before), so that should help. Just wondering if I'm alone with this or not!!

ETA: I mentioned the cooler weather since I thought maybe it was in our biology to "warm up" for the winter by adding body fat or something! LOL

It would surprise me if cold weather made a person gain weight. :smile: The culprit is usually that more food is going into our mouth than we realize. :bigsmile:

You said you are "eating (mostly)" right. I'm not sure what that means. There is no eating right or wrong, there is only eating and within a calorie deficit if you want to lose weight.

Do you measure your liquid foods and wight your solid foods? Do you log in everything thing you eat every day with accuracy? Are you accurately logging in your exercise calories?
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log every bite of food and I wear a heartrate monitor when I exercise (and log that daily too). Every day I have been under my calorie goal, with the exception of 1 day in the past 4 months where I went out for dinner. Otherwise, I have been under. I don't weigh my food out, but I know what a cup or a tablespoon look like and I take the time to input food if it's not in the database. :smile:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,272 Member
    Options
    My weight can fluctuate daily MORE then 4lbs. Which is why I don't weight myself daily. It's not giving me an accurate read about how I am doing in the long run. I just causes me to freak out about NORMAL weight fluctuations that happen to everyone.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log every bite of food and I wear a heartrate monitor when I exercise (and log that daily too). Every day I have been under my calorie goal, with the exception of 1 day in the past 4 months where I went out for dinner. Otherwise, I have been under. I don't weigh my food out, but I know what a cup or a tablespoon look like and I take the time to input food if it's not in the database. :smile:

I'm sure you've noticed on labels, calories come from the macros that are given weight, grams, and calories based on that.

So measuring, not weighing, can have things very off, no matter if you are good at measuring, that may not be the amount of product the calories is based on. You may measure of cup of something dead on every single time.
    The problem is "about 1 cup" on the label is actually weighed out as 1.4 servings of product.

Has the diet changed as it's gotten colder?
    Perhaps more of the foods are the type where that incorrect nature of measuring really shows up.

For instance, someone weighed their hot chocolate packet contents. They left room in their day for 1.
    Well, I guess to not get sued for undercutting the customer, the packet has 30% more weight of product, 60 more calories than had been accounted for.

Just one example.

Also, perhaps your workouts have changed now, and since I'm betting your are doing primarily exercise that is just begging the body to store more glucose (which stores with water), it finally got a chance too.

Have you lengthened any cardio workouts, or made them more intense? That all burns more carbs, and body's response is to store more.

Plus if inside the gym more, perhaps warmer and sweating more, body responds with more blood volume to aid in cooling, so more water volume there too.

So all great reasons for gaining weight you would not want to be gone, as all required weight based on what you are asking your body to do.

Now, if it was because of sodium intake increasing as it gets colder, and that retain water, well, there ya go.

Oh yeah, always missing your goal calories?
    If you don't mind missing that goal, why are you worried about missing your goal weight?
    Both are goals to reach.
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    Well, my morning weight has been slowly creeping up. All spring and summer and into the fall I was maintaining 126-127... now it's been 130-131 and I just don't want it to get out of control.

Not eating any different foods... our family has a lot of stand-by recipes of homemade meals. We eat very little processed (and what we do eat that is easy prep is organic stuff).

My routine changes every 30 days so that my muscles have a chance to get confused, but it's always this, the strength training days always about 60-65 minutes:

ROUTINE:
    -Monday: 16 mins cardio warm-up, then chest, shoulders, and abs (60 mins total)
    -Tuesday: 36 minutes cardio
    -Wednesday: 16 mins cardio warm-up, then arms and abs (60 mins total)
    -Thursday: 36 minutes cardio
    -Friday: REST DAY
    -Saturday: 16 mins cardio warm-up, then legs, back, and abs (60 mins total)
    -Sunday: 36 minutes cardio

LOL, I am just annoyed and admit I'm pretty anal about the number on the scale. I worked hard at this, continue to work hard at this, and don't want my weight to keep creeping up. ETA: my daily goal is set to 2025.
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If your weight is consistently creeping up and you're eating the same amount of calories as always, then lower your calories by 100-200 per day.
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I know that MFP allows for daily activity to increase your consumed calories, but this is really supposed to be daily activity above and beyond the normal moving around stuff. There are a couple of numbers to be aware of.
    First, your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is the approximate number of calories you would burn each day if you were in a coma and completely inert.
    Second, TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) this is the number that MFP calculates for your daily calorie target. (slightly under if you are trying to lose, slightly over if you are trying to gain) This number includes things like walking around and working, but not concentrated exercise.
    My point being that you should probably not be including the daily results of the heart rate monitor to your calorie limit, as your TDEE already includes a factor for daily activity. Just include calories from dedicated workouts and otherwise try to eat under your TDEE.
    Here is the calculator that I use:
    http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
    Most people qualify as sedentary unless you work construction or something.
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    If your weight is consistently creeping up and you're eating the same amount of calories as always, then lower your calories by 100-200 per day.

Thank you. I did change my goals today, and I also stopped logging my tandem nursing, since that was taking away 400 calories a day (calories allowed which I was eating). So I'm cutting about 500 cals now.
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options

My point being that you should probably not be including the daily results of the heart rate monitor to your calorie limit, as your TDEE already includes a factor for daily activity. Just include calories from dedicated workouts and otherwise try to eat under your TDEE.

This is incredibly helpful, and thank you. I had been eating back my exercise calories so that's probably part of the problem! I will check that calculator out... thank you! :)
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Someone here will remember where it is and link to the weighing versus measuring video, but for just one example

40 gr of dry oatmeal is a serving. the box says that's ½ cup. but when i put ½ cup of dry oatmeal on the scale it weighs 60 gr. That's 50% more calories than I'd record if I were doing it by cup measures and not by weight.
  • Ian_Stuart
    Options
    Sure thing! If you want to do it the way you have been then you really should be starting with the BMR number and adding all of your daily calories to that, but then you have to be sure to log every calorie both in and out. I tend to just log my workouts and ignore the extra calories that they give me unless I do something foolish like run a tough mudder (about 2400 calories), in which case I will eat whatever the heck I feel like that day.
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    If I select sendentary, it gives me 1277 cals for a rest day and 1916 cals for a workout day.

I'm 5'7 1/2" if that matters. :)
  • Ian_Stuart
    Options
    On the 3rd tab, under presets, did you select weight loss or faster weight loss as your goal? Those sound like Recomp numbers to me, which is fine if you are happy with your weight and just want to turn it all to muscle.
    This article would help with that: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this in my case also the last couple of weeks. The exercise and calorie numbers are about the same, but my body seems like it wants to gain a couple extra pounds anyway so that I had to add a calorie deficit to balance it out.

Some people are definitely more affected by shorter days with less daylight. If it can affect moods and brain activity like that, then it's not a stretch that it may also affect metabolism and fat retention. We are still animals and most mammals do store fat to get through winter with less available food and more energy needed for warmth.
    People tend to blame the holidays for seasonal weight gain, but I think it may be more primal than that. Carrying a few extra pounds over the fall and winter may be the body's best evolutionary defense against a possible winter famine. I don't mind just a couple extra pounds for that natural cycle, but I'll draw the line at gaining any more than that.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

This is incredibly helpful, and thank you. I had been eating back my exercise calories so that's probably part of the problem! I will check that calculator out... thank you! :)

Actually, don't do that, you'll be creating bigger than 500 calorie deficit while nursing. Bad idea.

He was not speaking correctly at all. Perhaps he doesn't know or remember how MFP works, perhaps he came from another site where the majority do use a TDEE deficit method, perhaps he does himself. But MFP does NOT.

He thinks you said you wear your HRM all day and eat that back it sounds like - not sure where he got that from.

In addition, MFP does NOT estimate your TDEE at all. TDEE of course by definition including exercise - Total Daily Energy Expenditure.
    MFP estimates daily maintenance they call it, non-exercise TDEE in other words.

With the understanding you will log exercise and their figure will now go up, and indeed include exercise now.

Now it's TDEE, now you take off the 500 calories, now you have a deficit the same daily.

No, logging exercise calories you have a good estimate of is correct.

And don't do that intermittent fasting calculator, usually very confusing, though they have improved it lately.

Make small changes.
    If your weight was creeping up, knock off those 200 calories only.
    Don't do that AND nursing calories.

If you really want to try a totally different method, the TDEE deficit can work with a steady routine, use the spreadsheet on my profile page. Hundreds finding it successful.

That's why some many have a hard time with MFP, they don't follow the program, and the always estimate on what they think is the safe side (underestimated), and they have no idea how much they used to eat, when not exercising.

So they change everything at once, totally different eating when they don't binge, gung-ho on exercise, and so eating tons less and exercising tons more. No reason the body is in shock and stops responding positively after a while.

Anyway. Just cut the 200 cal daily for a month. Your BMR literally does change through the month, your base metabolism. So it'll take a month to see if you got the number right.
  • Ian_Stuart
    Options
    @mike_ny: You may be entirely correct, or it may be that we keep our living spaces a few degrees warmer in the winter to offset the cold outside. People in cold climates have to eat WAY more calories to maintain than people in warmer climates, which is why a nice thick stew sounds awesome to you in the winter, but much too heavy in the summer. I've heard that people who are stationed at the antarctic research stations have to eat around 6000 calories daily just to break even.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to eat more as the weather gets colder. No idea if biology, habit, or just an excuse for soul-filling delicious foods.
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    I've noticed this in my case also the last couple of weeks. The exercise and calorie numbers are about the same, but my body seems like it wants to gain a couple extra pounds anyway so that I had to add a calorie deficit to balance it out.

Some people are definitely more affected by shorter days with less daylight. If it can affect moods and brain activity like that, then it's not a stretch that it may also affect metabolism and fat retention. We are still animals and most mammals do store fat to get through winter with less available food and more energy needed for warmth.
    People tend to blame the holidays for seasonal weight gain, but I think it may be more primal than that. Carrying a few extra pounds over the fall and winter may be the body's best evolutionary defense against a possible winter famine. I don't mind just a couple extra pounds for that natural cycle, but I'll draw the line at gaining any more than that.

See, a friend of mine said something similar about mammals adding on pounds for the winter, and I was almost thinking there might be something to it. This same thing happened last year but it was then that I kicked up my workouts from 3 times a week to 6-7 and joined this site and then my weight went down....
  • Ian_Stuart
    Options
    @heybales: I was momentarily terrified that you might be correct and that I had been giving out bad information, or information based on a poor understanding, but I just used MFP to recalculate my calorie goal (instead of using the calculator I linked above) and it gave me very nearly the same number, which is my TDEE, NOT my BMR. If MFP is calculating BMR, then they don't need to ask the question about activity level at all. I believe you are incorrect about that part, but you are completely correct that making such a large change when nursing would not be a great plan.
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    On the 3rd tab, under presets, did you select weight loss or faster weight loss as your goal? Those sound like Recomp numbers to me, which is fine if you are happy with your weight and just want to turn it all to muscle.
    This article would help with that: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I selected a regular weight loss of 5 lbs. I am in no hurry, just want to get back to where I was. Thanks for the link! :)