Weight loss protein shake?

Options
Hey hons,

What protein shake would you recommend that'll keep me full and assist with weight loss?

Thank you!

-Roe

Replies

• donjessop
    Options
    Any protein shake will do. Protein has a high satiety index (makes you feel full) so regardless of which protein shake you drink you will get that "full" feeling. The higher the grams of protein in the shake the fuller you will feel. It is now a question of flavour and pre-mixed versus you mixing and even the type of protein.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hey hons,

What protein shake would you recommend that'll keep me full and assist with weight loss?

Thank you!

-Roe
    None. Protein shakes are for people who are attempting to bulk and don't want to (or physically can't) eat enough nutrients to do it. You can easily get your daily allowance of protein without them.

Those people are usually on steroids or are fat men deluded into thinking that they need them, though.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    None. Protein shakes are for people who are attempting to bulk and don't want to (or physically can't) eat enough nutrients to do it. You can easily get your daily allowance of protein without them.

Those people are usually on steroids or are fat men deluded into thinking that they need them, though.

HA!

<--- me, the non-bulking, non-steriod, not-fat chick who utilizes protein shakes because some days it IS difficult to get 110-130 grams of protein.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Read the labels. Some have a lot of sodium!
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Im sorry. I respectfully disagree. Gram for gram, protein powder is cheaper money wise and a good source of cholesterol & fat free protein. Yes you CAN easily make high protein foods, but nothing wrong in my humble opinion in using protein powder to get a bit more in.

To answer the OP question, I've done pretty well with optimum nutrition powder - French vanilla & double chocolate are yummy, make a great base, available on amazon for ~$30 for 3o servings (aka 2lb size). I mix a scoop of protein powder, 1c frozen fruit, 1c almond milk & a few ice cubes. It makes a yummy lunch in the 250-300 cal range. Following up with a liter of water seems to be key for me. If i do that, I'm full for about 4hours. What I like is that the protein shake tastes like a rich milkshake. So it satisfies my sweet tooth while keeping diet & sugar in check.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hey hons,

Thank you!

-Roe

You are wrong.

OP, I drink Evox Lean Pro Diet Protein Powder, its 98 calories a shake (with water) and it has a whopping 21g of protein.

Have that for lunch with some fruit or drink it with milk and you have a low calorie - high protein lunch :)
  • shirieshipp
    shirieshipp Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer recommends that you have whey protein. Also depending on your weight you should have so much protein a day. My favorite so far is one from GNC its expensive but it has 60 grams of protein but I split it so I can have two drinks a day, just because you should only have serving of that shake a day. Tastes awesome with milk too and not a nasty gritty taste. Also some at the little place I workout add fruit to it and make a protein smoothie. It's call amplified wheybolic extereme 60 :)
  • 77sheep
    Options
    I use Swanson Premium Protein Powder...it's resonably priced and I just add a little cocoa and a packet of truvia with a half scoop of the protein powder to a small glass of skim milk and it really makes me feel full!!! I'm not sure whether it aids my weight loss yet or not but it sure feels great to feel full on a small glass of "chocolate milk"!! And no sugar added!!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Casein digests slower than whey, so, I'd guess casein. I've never really used them to fill me up.

Maybe try adding some metamucil in with the whey. The fiber would logically slow its digestion.

A piece of actual meat would probably be the best choice to sate your appetite

also, I use more protein shakes while cutting than bulking. More protein in less calories... If I'm gaining weight its time for tall glasses of oberweis chocolate milk and big fat steaks.
  • tmarshbanks
    tmarshbanks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know of a great meal replacement that has protein it will keep you full and it taste GREAT!
    Check out this site.. you can order it.

https://www.advocare.com/09064221/Store/ItemDetail.aspx?itemCode=T1361&id=A&flavor=a

Only 220 calories
    Balanced meal for optimal nutrition and weight management
    24 grams of easy-to-digest protein
    High in dietary fiber (5-6 grams)
    50% of the Daily Value of calcium
    26 vitamins and minerals
    1:1 ratio of proteins to carbohydrates
    Low sodium and low fat
  • toomuch4u2c
    Options
    On Dr Oz the other day he mentioned a Caesin protien shake recipe for weight loss. Also on the show he mentioned adding whey protien powder to oatmeal, muffins, or other breakfast foods. I plan on hitting up the health food store tomorrow to check some out.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Ignore this, protein shakes are simply a food source. That's like saying chicken is only for bulking steroid users.

Try some out and see which you prefer. A simple whey powder is a good place to start - cheap and comes in a wide choice of flavours. Keep an eye on the nutritional info and choose one which fits your calorie / macro goals.
  • ambercatnap
    Options
    I've been using slim fast shakes along with having 1200 calories a day and maybe an around 3 hours exercise each week and managed to loose 9lb in 21 days, I think there great and real yummy, the shakes are around 230 calories...
  • ajstewart20745
    ajstewart20745 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Unjury check out their website. It is high in protein and fulfilling. You can only order this product online. I learned about it in my physicians office through a dietician
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are not really going to aid in weight loss. They'll help you hit your macros, which is good for body composition, but calorie deficit is what causes weight loss. I do find protein powder to be sating but no more so than whole food protein sources.

Personally I use the cheap stuff-- Body Fortress from Walmart. It's 30 grams of protein per scoop for 170 calories. It might not be the best out there but it fits my budget and it's easy to come by. I hear a lot of people recommend Optimum Nutrition. It's supposed to be one of the better products out there. You also might consider Quest bars. I don't personally care for the fruit ones but the chocolate and cookie dough ones are quite good.

My advice is just to get one and try it. Get the smallest container you can in case you don't like it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are not really going to aid in weight loss. They'll help you hit your macros, which is good for body composition, but calorie deficit is what causes weight loss. I do find protein powder to be sating but no more so than whole food protein sources.

Personally I use the cheap stuff-- Body Fortress from Walmart. It's 30 grams of protein per scoop for 170 calories. It might not be the best out there but it fits my budget and it's easy to come by. I hear a lot of people recommend Optimum Nutrition. It's supposed to be one of the better products out there. You also might consider Quest bars. I don't personally care for the fruit ones but the chocolate and cookie dough ones are quite good.

My advice is just to get one and try it. Get the smallest container you can in case you don't like it.

This. I use shakes (and bars) as snacks to reach my protein goal.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Hey hons,

Thank you!

-Roe

In...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

And /thread.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    [/quote] None. Protein shakes are for people who are attempting to bulk and don't want to (or physically can't) eat enough nutrients to do it. You can easily get your daily allowance of protein without them.

[/quote]

Worst broscience ever. Most protein shakes will do. Try to stick to more natural healthy protein shakes that shy away from any added sugars. Also, try mixing protein shakes with a small amount of complex carbs. It'll help you feel full and for longer as the protein will elongate the digesting time of the carbs.

Protein will not make you huge, it will not make you fat. Just stay within a healthy balance just like carbs and fats.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options