Is it starvation mode???

Options
No. The answer is no. Starvation mode, as most define it, is a myth. Please read this article:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Replies

• Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Dammit, I was all excited to use my gif. I'm going to use it anyway.

tumblr_inline_mu5gn2DKNc1rnck21.gif

*edit-- Great article, btw. I will bookmark it.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options

:bigsmile:
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    BTW, unsourced web blogs are usually not the best to back up your argument.

Although some call it "starvation mode", it's also referred to metabolic adaptation, starvation response, adaptive thermogenesis, etc. and they pretty much all mean the same thing. No it doesn't happen over night, or even in a week. It's a gradual process that can take months. This is what you would call a "stall" especially when people get close to their goal weight.
  • smc864
    Options

Although some call it "starvation mode", it's also referred to metabolic adaptation, starvation response, adaptive thermogenesis, etc. and they pretty much all mean the same thing. No it doesn't happen over night, or even in a week. It's a gradual process that can take months. This is what you would call a "stall" especially when people get close to their goal weight.

You can call me a "newb" all you like but take a good look at my ticker :wink:

If you took the time to actually read it before commenting, you would have seen the discussion of adaptive thermogenesis in the article.

Typical MFP shenanigans.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Why does this type of thread show up so often - oh I see, it's a newb.

:laugh:

You didn't read the article, did you?
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    No. The answer is no. Starvation mode, as most define it, is a myth. Please read this article:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Love it. Bookmarked for future use.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

You judging the OP by their start date would be like judging you for losing only 10lbs in four years.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    What if I have the special snowflake though?

In all seriousness, I love that article.
  • smc864
    Options

You judging the OP by their start date would be like judging you for losing only 10lbs in four years.

:flowerforyou:
  • smc864
    Options
    What if I have the special snowflake though?

In all seriousness, I love that article.

It wouldn't be a MFP thread without the token special snowflake :laugh:
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    But…but…how am I going to get permission to Eat Moar Caloreez™? I need to "jump start" my metabolism, and…and…uh, starvation, um, calories, er, BMRTDEEBMITMIOMGDERP. :brokenheart:
  • smc864
    Options
    But…but…how am I going to get permission to Eat Moar Caloreez™? I need to "jump start" my metabolism, and…and…uh, starvation, um, calories, er, BMRTDEEBMITMIOMGDERP. :brokenheart:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think we were best friends in another life. Just sayin'.
  • sld4063
    sld4063 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Loooooove this article it was very informative- thanks for posting!!
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options

:drinker:
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I get very uptight with the starvation mode is a myth crowd, so I did this.
    feel free to read unfortunately for all of us... it's not a myth.
    The podcast I linked does suggest some things that can help (and there are some other very good scientifically based articles on that site that can help too)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Qski
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    The podcast I linked does suggest some things that can help (and there are some other very good scientifically based articles on that site that can help too)

the thing is that most times when people someone say “I am doing all the right things, eating less, exercising and nothing is happening” you find out that they in fact are not weighing their food exactly thus not logging accurately and/or use inflated exercise calories that they more or less eat back thus they are not actually maintaining a calorie deficit.

All the issues that you list on your blog post do exist, but don't actually amount to hundreds of calories a day. You need to think about it logically and not tainted by your own feelings about your weight loss journey. Work camps, prison camps, people stranded with nothing to eat, they all lose weight. Do they have metabolic issues if that situation goes on for too long? Absolutely, but they still lost the weight in the first place.
  • Qski
    Options

the thing is that most times when people someone say “I am doing all the right things, eating less, exercising and nothing is happening” you find out that they in fact are not weighing their food exactly thus not logging accurately and/or use inflated exercise calories that they more or less eat back thus they are not actually maintaining a calorie deficit.

All the issues that you list on your blog post do exist, but don't actually amount to hundreds of calories a day. You need to think about it logically and not tainted by your own feelings about your weight loss journey. Work camps, prison camps, people stranded with nothing to eat, they all lose weight. Do they have metabolic issues if that situation goes on for too long? Absolutely, but they still lost the weight in the first place.

My issue with this is not about my own experiences my issue is telling people who may very well be logging correctly to eat less.

It's not just one factor that contributes to this 'starvation mode' there are several and if you believe the premise of calories in calories out you have to believe in starvation mode

at high weight TDEE is based on your body weight and your exercise
    after you have been dieting it is based on your body weight, your exercise and your factors based on starvation mode (unpredictable)

Like I said in what I wrote...
    eating a little more is never going to be detrimental to the OPs health
    but blindly assuming that it is an over estimation and going on about eating less can be

yes some people overestimate
    yes more women overestimate
    yes women who are logging in a social environment overestimate even more

but some people dont
    and telling them starvation mode is a myth is firstly a lie and secondly could be a bad idea

I am losing 500g a week have been doing this for 10 weeks this does not impact me. I just don't like the idea of people accidentally telling people who may be eating borderline too little that they should just eat less.

ETA - and yes it can be in the 100s of calories per day 452(per day) is the highest I read in the studies I cited.
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Hahaha Gotta love this comment !
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    That's actually a good article !
  • Qski
    Options
    Actually I thought it was 450 calories a day, but I didn't remember it correctly here is the quote

"absolute TDEE was significantly reduced in
    CR (−454±76 kcal/d) and
    LCD (−633±66 kcal/d) but not in
    CR+EX or
    controls"

CR - Calorie Restricted
    LCD - Low Calorie Restricted
    CR +Ex - Calorie Restricted with Exercise

So there you go, it is hundreds of calories a day and in the Low Calorie Diet up to 700 calories a day