Hulu Plus / Netflix / or Amazon Instant Video?

Options

Replies

• watercolorarteest
    watercolorarteest Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Was a customer of Directv since about 1997 or so. I cut that cord about 3+ years ago and haven't looked back. They didn't do anything to try to keep me (I was a LOYAL customer for over a decade). We were paying for crap we weren't watching. Besides, we were much more of a "movie" family anyway, so we switched to Netflix. It was definitely a financial decision that was much supported by our watching habits anyway.

I also have Amazon prime but watch that much less, and besides, I use the Prime for the free 2-day shipping benefit.

Hulu I've considered but don't seem convinced that it's worth the money beyond what Netflix already provides.

I only miss watching football (from time to time) and the local news. Both of which I can get online if I really want them.
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I turned off the dish a few years ago. So much money nothing worth watching. I was down to the news and car racing. The news just pissed me off, and I couldn't justify the cost to watch cars go around in a circle.

I had Netflix streaming at one point but when they split the service I cancelled the streaming part. There just wasn't enough there to interest me. I get current movies, one at a time, in the mail. There are not many good movies coming out any more, so that is plenty.

I already had Amazon Prime, for the 2 day shipping. I live in the middle of nowhere and do a ton of shopping on Amazon. And there is usually enough on Amazon instant video to keep me satisfied.

I invested in a middle of the road Roku player so I don't have to mess around with my computer, software, DVD's or whatnot. It's directly connected to the TV and wireless to my internet. Just click and go.
  • fat2fit72014
    Options
    I have Netflix. I had Hulu, but I decided it wasnt worth keeping around. I watch on my iPad, and Hulu limited iPad programs.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    We have all three and is still cheaper than cable!

We get lots of tv shoes next day on hulu and lots of series on Netflix that we have watched over and over.

DO it!
  • sloane70
    sloane70 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a Roku box, and subscribe to Hulu Plus, which I share with my long-distance sweetie (and he, in turn, shares his Netflix subscription with me). I also am an Amazon Prime member but I usually don't go there unless I can't find what I want on Hulu or 'flix. I really like Hulu for currently running shows (I watch Scandal, Bones, Blacklist, Sleepy Hollow, etc.) and Netflix for full seasons of series. I like that I pay less than $20 a month (even assuming I pay part of the netflix account) for that flexibility. And I can pause them and come back to them another day.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am glad this thread came back from the beyond. I am actually working on cutting the cord. Finally got my TV obcessed hubby to agree. I am sick of paying almost $200 for cable. I think we will go with Ruko to use Hulu Plus, And Netflick on it, with a digital antenna. Debating wheither or not to add Amazaon Prime. I have noticed that it has a few more shows than Hulu Plus.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have all 3 and occasionally get a movie from redbox
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    We have satellite, hulu, netflix and amazon prime. Hardly ever use hulu (it's my FIL's account). We've noticed over the last few months that netflix is getting weaker while amazon instant (prime stuff) is getting a lot better with their selection. And if you do the math, it's only about $6.60/month (but yes, you do have to pay the whole $79 at once).
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Netflix, Hulu, Youtube and an antenna outside in the yard. I have a few movies on Amazon & Vudu (or whatever the walmart thing). It's crazy, I paid for ION (1 channel) and w/ an antenna I get (5) ION's for free. I do miss some things like Cartoon Network, it takes some effort to find the newest shows online.

I have a smart TV, a Roku, 3 game consoles and pc's, plus a tablet. Just popped for a newer modem (mine was from 2004) and a Gigibit Dual band router as the tablet couldn't get Hulu to stream. Paying 57$ for internet over 161 for TV which I only watched 17 out of 350+ channels.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    We haven't had cable in over a year and were just using netflix. A couple months ago, we decided to get AmazonPrime (my husband orders from amazon often, so the 2 day free shipping is a big plus), and at a cursory glance it seemed to nearly everything I wanted, so we canceled netflix. And..... I really don't care for AP. It has the kid shows my toddler likes, and that's all well and good, but I don't use it for much other than that. I also don't like how I have to go through all the clicking for each subsequent episode. That auto play feature netflix has is pretty nifty, though I only appreciate it now that I don't have it.

I'd love to have cable back, but hubs has a different opinion, given we only watch about 8 channels but pay for 200... My pipe dream in this sense is cable a la carte. I would love to purchase a cable plan tailored to the channels we watch...
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I have Hulu Plus, which I use as more of a DVR and to watch cable shows like The Daily Show and Colbert Report, I have Netflix for movies and tv series without the commercial breaks. I'm looking to upgrade my Roku device so I can also watch YouTube videos. $16/ month, a much better deal than I had with cable, which I got rid of more than 3 years ago. I also "rent" DVDs from my local library.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Amazon Instant, Netflix, and Funimation.com. I do have a Hulu account,but I rarely use it. I hate paying and STILL having to watch the same commercial every few minutes.haha
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I have hulu and Netflix but I have to say I am not the biggest fan of hulu. It still has tons of commercials and it crashes a lot. Hulu does offer more recent shows, but I am not sure it is worth all the commercials.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into this lately too. Trying to decide if I should get a Roku or get the new google usb thing. From what I have read you only get Netflix and one other station with the google usb thing and with Roku you get like 1000 stations? The google usb is only $35 and Roku's run anywhere from $50 to$100 depending on which one you get and to be honest I can't figure out what the difference is on Roku 2 and Roku 3 , Roku one doesn't have the headphones and Roku 2 and 3 do? Any information would be helpful on this stuff!
    Thanks!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned yet that Hulu Plus still makes you watch commercials? Even though you pay for it? I found that absurd. Anyway, I'm Netflix all the way. We use it almost exclusively for TV shows, and then we'll rent movies from RedBox. I use Amazon Instant just for a couple shows here and there, but I haven't really looked into their regular streaming program.

ETA: Yes local library!! I love my library; I request shows/movies from them all the time.
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Instant, DirecTV...I think I have a problem.
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    For me i used Audials Software to record\capture videos and musics from all the web sites like Netflix,Spotify,amazon,Lovefilm...legally
    Plus, you get to convert the videos to any format you want, burn dvds, download music and videos, record internet radios and so on. Just I have to paid only one time forever.

http://audials.com/en/tunebite/index.html

This is NOT legal. The software is, but recording a movie/tv show that you do not own a license for is very much illegal. Movies and tv shows are done by a license for the film, not by the physical media. When you watch an episode online it is like renting, but recording or copying is a duplication and is not covered under renters license. Don't fool yourself into thinking just because you purchased software legally what you are doing with it is automatically legal as well.

Software =/= fair use and DCMA law
    *edit* I also want to point out that the EULA on all listed services specifically state that you are not allowed to record, and also recording is circumventing their copy protection, also illegal. *edit*
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    We have an antenna for local channels like PBS,Fox and NBC and then use youtube,netflix and sometimes Hulu if we are jonesing for mindless tv. Otherwise we do just fine without cable. Our internet bill is already outrageous enough so cable is definitely out of the question although I do miss Discovery,History channel and AMC now and then. ;)
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into this lately too. Trying to decide if I should get a Roku or get the new google usb thing. From what I have read you only get Netflix and one other station with the google usb thing and with Roku you get like 1000 stations? The google usb is only $35 and Roku's run anywhere from $50 to$100 depending on which one you get and to be honest I can't figure out what the difference is on Roku 2 and Roku 3 , Roku one doesn't have the headphones and Roku 2 and 3 do? Any information would be helpful on this stuff!
    Thanks!

I have a roku player from when they first came out in I think 2008 and it still works. I mostly use it for youtube and netflix though but I do have a ton of random free channels but I hardly ever use them. You can also find private roku channels online which is how I got the youtube app.I think it was well worth the upfront costs and mine still runs great evrn though it was outdated!
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have all 3 because everyone in my family favors another. I prefer Hulu. My younger kids and husband prefer Netflix. My teenager uses Amazon.