Make a heavy lifting routine for a beginner?

Options
If you had to make a heavy lifting routine for a beginner for Monday, Wednesday, Friday what would it be?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Three full body days to include deadlifts, bench, squats, military press and bent over rows. To start, 8-10 reps for three sets with one light warm up set. Seems the most basic, and a lower weight with higher reps (although I'm not talking Barbie weights and endless reps here) give a beginniner a good base to get form and movement down. Then, once a base is established, a program can bet weaked for specific goals. There's to s of beginner programs out there. Many are similar to this, some have more sets, less reps, some have a split. Just google or hit bodybuilding.com and look around.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Easy, just google "Stronglifts 5x5". It's a barebones, basic program. It focuses on the fundamentals only, and it's free and easy to understand. It's more than enough to get you started.

One word of advice, and it's a virtue that any serious lifter knows, start LIGHT. The program progresses in weight pretty quickly, so it will get heavy soon enough.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If I was a beginner I wouldn't attempt to "make" my own routine. Go with a proven program like Starting Strength, Stronglifts, etc.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Easy, just google "Stronglifts 5x5". It's a barebones, basic program. It focuses on the fundamentals only, and it's free and easy to understand. It's more than enough to get you started.

One word of advice, and it's a virtue that any serious lifter knows, start LIGHT. The program progresses in weight pretty quickly, so it will get heavy soon enough.

hey thanks
  • ellsdemon
    ellsdemon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    531 Jim Wedler. Best out there for beginners. Read the book, understand what it's designed for and execute it.

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-for-a-beginner/

You can use the spread sheet link below to start your program. I love 531 and been on it now for 4 months with great results

http://www.allthingsgym.com/531-excel-spreadsheet-by-poteto-v1-28/
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Stronglifts 5x5.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Start with the bar (if you can, if not, modify and use lighter dumbbells). Pay really close attention to form (watch the videos, etc). Make sure you are progressing as prescribed.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    531 Jim Wedler. Best out there for beginners. Read the book, understand what it's designed for and execute it.

You can use the spread sheet link below to start your program. I love 531 and been on it now for 4 months with great results

5/3/1 is an awesome program, in fact it's the program I use and believe in, but I don't think it's ideal for beginners at all. It's admittedly an intermediate program, which is why the progression is so slow.

Honesly I wish I had started on Stronglifts first (I'm using it now for rehab, to get my numbers back up to my 5/3/1 levels).

Beginner programs need to be simple, focused on the fundamental lifts, and have quick progression built in. I also believe it has to be flexible, schedule wise, so the beginner can find their groove and work around interuptions. 5/3/1 is not schedule flexible, you have to be a little more serious and a little more dedicated, and that comes with time in the gym.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

5/3/1 is an awesome program, in fact it's the program I use and believe in, but I don't think it's ideal for beginners at all. It's admittedly an intermediate program, which is why the progression is so slow.

Honesly I wish I had started on Stronglifts first (I'm using it now for rehab, to get my numbers back up to my 5/3/1 levels).

Beginner programs need to be simple, focused on the fundamental lifts, and have quick progression built in. I also believe it has to be flexible, schedule wise, so the beginner can find their groove and work around interuptions. 5/3/1 is not schedule flexible, you have to be a little more serious and a little more dedicated, and that comes with time in the gym.

Dude, seriously... I may have to unfriend you for that comment. LOL! Yes in terms of "plate" progression yes you do not add sheer weight to the bar as fast as you do with SL5x5 but you do NOT work as hard with Sl5x5 in the beginning as you do with 5/3/1 either. Because of how you start 5/3/1 and how it forces you to bust your *kitten*, your overall strength will progress pretty fast at first. Hell, I am an intermediate lifter and by changing up my diet and 5/3/1 routine in 12 week I've added 30lbs to my 1RM for both BP and OHP, another 20lbs to my Deadlift, and I'm rebuilding my squat very well, already exceeded my reset 1RM by 15lbs. Is that slow progression? I think not. Additionally, Beyond 5/3/1 has a beginners specific routine as well.

Don't be confused by the terms "beginner" or "intermediate" lifting. SL5x5 is fine for a beginner but it only has short-term gains, which is fine to get you started. But 5/3/1 will setup you up for long-term progression and despite what people say your "GAINS" not to be confused with plates added to the bar, are not that slow. Maybe at a high-intermediate to advanced lifter the gains might be slow but not for beginners or even low to mid intermediate lifters.
  • FrnkLft
    Options

Dude, seriously... I may have to unfriend you for that comment. LOL! Yes in terms of "plate" progression yes you do not add sheer weight to the bar as fast as you do with SL5x5 but you do NOT work as hard with Sl5x5 in the beginning as you do with 5/3/1 either. Because of how you start 5/3/1 and how it forces you to bust your *kitten*, your overall strength will progress pretty fast at first. Hell, I am an intermediate lifter and by changing up my diet and 5/3/1 routine in 12 week I've added 30lbs to my 1RM for both BP and OHP, another 20lbs to my Deadlift, and I'm rebuilding my squat very well, already exceeded my reset 1RM by 15lbs. Is that slow progression? I think not. Additionally, Beyond 5/3/1 has a beginners specific routine as well.

Don't be confused by the terms "beginner" or "intermediate" lifting. SL5x5 is fine for a beginner but it only has short-term gains, which is fine to get you started. But 5/3/1 will setup you up for long-term progression and despite what people say your "GAINS" not to be confused with plates added to the bar, are not that slow. Maybe at a high-intermediate to advanced lifter the gains might be slow but not for beginners or even low to mid intermediate lifters.

Lol! Dude I totally had you in mind when I wrote that. Here's why I don't just recommend the 5/3/1 "5s Progression" to anyone on this forum. It's an excellent simple beginner program, but OP would have to buy two books to get the whole gyst of the routine before even getting started (or read it online and totally screw it up)... vs. just doing a standard, free, simple 5x5 and getting to the same place. Once OP stalls on 5x5 (which would likely be in a couple months or so) they can move on to 5/3/1 (imo) or another good routine (but seriously do 5/3/1).

SL 5x5 also has you starting with the bar or extremely light, hitting the big movments much more frequently (squat 6x, bench 3x, deadlift x2, ohp x3 every two weeks, vs twice each in 5/3/1), and the routine has much more flexibility schedule wise without throwing a wrench into things if you miss a day. Also starting so light gives you time to learn the movements and learn about humility in the gym, which is fundamental.

Also, I don't recommend SL5x5 because I believe that starting with the bar and adding 100 lbs in a few months necessarily means you've gotten stronger (unless the bar was really heavy for you to begin with), but it's the epitome of starting light and thinking about progression and how you feel.
  • JNick77
    Options

Lol! Dude I totally had you in mind when I wrote that. So OP has to buy two books to get to 5/3/1's beginner routine (or read it online and totally screw it up)... vs. just doing a standard, free, simple 5x5 and getting to the same place. Once OP stalls on 5x5 (which would likely be in a couple months or so) they can move on to 5/3/1 (imo) or another good routine (but seriously do 5/3/1).

I like SL5x5 because it starts with the bar, it's really flexible, and it's not even remotely complicated (aaaand it has much more frequency for a beginner).

With the right setup a beginner could do each movement twice a week actually. SL5x5 is fine to learn and get going but the only reason is because you start with the bar and it might be easier to learn the movements. Learning the lifts is probably the only reason to use SL5x5 over anything else. Using faster progression as a reason for using SL5x5 is really a poor reason if you think about it. The fact of adding plates to the bar is merely an illusion of progress but not necessarily indicative of true progress.
  • ellsdemon
    ellsdemon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even begin to recommend lifting now without reading Jim's stuff. I wasted 10 years doing lifts the wrong way and, knock on wood, probably should have injured myself doing them the wrong way. The 531, in my opinion, is perfect for beginners. You don't waste time doing BS lifts, doing BS additional supplemental lifts, you're in and out fast and you get gains that you'll see in the weeks that you put in.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    With the right setup a beginner could do each movement twice a week actually. SL5x5 is fine to learn and get going but the only reason is because you start with the bar and it might be easier to learn the movements. Learning the lifts is probably the only reason to use SL5x5 over anything else. Using faster progression as a reason for using SL5x5 is really a poor reason if you think about it. The fact of adding plates to the bar is merely an illusion of progress but not necessarily indicative of true progress.

Yeah bro I know how you feel about that, and on SL5x5 you're not truely progressing until you start hitting higher numbers and/or missing reps on your sets, but I honestly believe it's the best thing to suggest to newcomers on here, and a great way to start off for a ton of reasons. If you make it through to stall on 5x5, then you're probably serious enough about lifting to invest some time in reading an excellent book like 5/3/1 and using the program.
    I wouldn't even begin to recommend lifting now without reading Jim's stuff. I wasted 10 years doing lifts the wrong way and, knock on wood, probably should have injured myself doing them the wrong way. The 531, in my opinion, is perfect for beginners. You don't waste time doing BS lifts, doing BS additional supplemental lifts, you're in and out fast and you get gains that you'll see in the weeks that you put in.

I hear you man, SL5x5 is only Bench, OHP, Squat, DL, and Pendlay Rows. Literally no bs.

That said, 5/3/1 is awesome, and the 5s Progression is great too (start light, progress slow, use jokers to keep it challening), but I'm not sure about OP's level of dedication or willingness to buy a book right now while he/she is just starting, which is fine of course, when they are just getting started.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'd tend to agree that 5x5 is a better beginner program than 5/3/1. With 5/3/1 you have to figure out what you'll use for assistance, weights to use on that, etc. 5x5 is simple and laid out right in front of you for easy progression.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I dunno, I think this whole conversation is crazy. Choose what works for you but don't relegate one method to beginners, or intermediates. Advanced lifters are probably the only group that truly need something different. If a beginner is determined to learn something then there's no reason that they can't learn any method by picking up the book and reading about the method and then learning how to do the lifts. Personally, I like to learn and do something to set me up for long-term success. I don't want to learn something new that I'm only going to use for a couple months and then move on and have to learn something else. It's inefficiency at it's best. I just don't like wasting time, as people we don't have enough of it as it is so don't waste it.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JNick77
    Options
    I'd tend to agree that 5x5 is a better beginner program than 5/3/1. With 5/3/1 you have to figure out what you'll use for assistance, weights to use on that, etc. 5x5 is simple and laid out right in front of you for easy progression.

It's kind of sad that our society will go towards what's easiest rather than what might take a little extra work but is better in the long run. :(
  • FrnkLft
    Options

It's kind of sad that our society will go towards what's easiest rather than what might take a little extra work but is better in the long run. :(

Yeah man, I mean that works for you and me, but asking someone to buy a book when they're just looking to get started is a stretch usually, unless they are specifically asking for a recommendation for one.

I rather give them something simple and solid (though, again, 5/3/1 is only complicated in comparison, the program IS simple) and free that they can get started on. And you can't argue that it focuses completely on the fundamentals, no bs. It is a very good program for someone's first few months, especially the completely untrained.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I think the benefit to 5x5 is you get time to learn the mechanics of the lift whereas I'd say in 5/3/1 you should already have the lift mechanics already down pat.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options

But sometimes it's better to start "easy" and gain confidence and enjoyment from it than to start hard and burn out quickly. Recommending something that gives people the basics and hopefully something they can stick to is more likely to ensure that they stick to it longer. Which would seem to me to be a good plan instead of starting out on the harder road and possibly giving up on it.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Full body compound lifts 3x a week; or
    Legs/Upper Body Anterior/Upper Body Posterior split; or
    anything you like that you'll stick with. Just make sure it's centered on compound lifts like squats, bench press, etc.