Make a heavy lifting routine for a beginner?

Options

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'd tend to agree that 5x5 is a better beginner program than 5/3/1. With 5/3/1 you have to figure out what you'll use for assistance, weights to use on that, etc. 5x5 is simple and laid out right in front of you for easy progression.

It's kind of sad that our society will go towards what's easiest rather than what might take a little extra work but is better in the long run. :(

Yeah man, I mean that works for you and me, but asking someone to buy a book when they're just looking to get started is a stretch usually, unless they are specifically asking for a recommendation for one.

I rather give them something simple and solid (though, again, 5/3/1 is only complicated in comparison, the program IS simple) and free that they can get started on. And you can't argue that it focuses completely on the fundamentals, no bs. It is a very good program for someone's first few months, especially the completely untrained.

People can make a choice to spend less time on FB or something else to make time to read the book. It's all a matter of choice, don't make excuses for people's laziness or the choices they make. How is 5/3/1 complicated? Seriously? Westside is a little complicated for sure, Cube Method, is slightly complicated.
    I think the benefit to 5x5 is you get time to learn the mechanics of the lift whereas I'd say in 5/3/1 you should already have the lift mechanics already down pat.

Honestly, you should learn the mechanics before you start any program anyway. You should learn how to pre-stretch, warm-up, and post-stretch properly as well. You should just sit there and do lots of reps for practice anyway before you really start any method.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I'd tend to agree that 5x5 is a better beginner program than 5/3/1. With 5/3/1 you have to figure out what you'll use for assistance, weights to use on that, etc. 5x5 is simple and laid out right in front of you for easy progression.

It's kind of sad that our society will go towards what's easiest rather than what might take a little extra work but is better in the long run. :(

But sometimes it's better to start "easy" and gain confidence and enjoyment from it than to start hard and burn out quickly. Recommending something that gives people the basics and hopefully something they can stick to is more likely to ensure that they stick to it longer. Which would seem to me to be a good plan instead of starting out on the harder road and possibly giving up on it.

Agree. If I truly believed the 5/3/1 was "hard" I would not recommend it.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options

Yeah man, I mean that works for you and me, but asking someone to buy a book when they're just looking to get started is a stretch usually, unless they are specifically asking for a recommendation for one.

I rather give them something simple and solid (though, again, 5/3/1 is only complicated in comparison, the program IS simple) and free that they can get started on. And you can't argue that it focuses completely on the fundamentals, no bs. It is a very good program for someone's first few months, especially the completely untrained.

5/3/1 really isn't that hard to figure out. I believe there is the basics of the program out there. Picking assistance lifts are easy too. You only need 2-4 for each day. And those templates are also available in a lot of places besides the book.
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Easy, just google "Stronglifts 5x5". It's a barebones, basic program. It focuses on the fundamentals only, and it's free and easy to understand. It's more than enough to get you started.

One word of advice, and it's a virtue that any serious lifter knows, start LIGHT. The program progresses in weight pretty quickly, so it will get heavy soon enough.

THIS!
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Look up the Strong Lifts 5X5! Its an awesome routine...and the results are fantastic :-)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^yep.

And as an FYI, Wendler recommends doing a 5 x 5 for beginners in Beyond 5/3/1.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

5/3/1 really isn't that hard to figure out. I believe there is the basics of the program out there. Picking assistance lifts are easy too. You only need 2-4 for each day. And those templates are also available in a lot of places besides the book.

The amount of people who try to work out their own assist and totally get it messed up is pretty high. A beginner does not have enough experience to program - and assists are part of programming.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

But sometimes it's better to start "easy" and gain confidence and enjoyment from it than to start hard and burn out quickly. Recommending something that gives people the basics and hopefully something they can stick to is more likely to ensure that they stick to it longer. Which would seem to me to be a good plan instead of starting out on the harder road and possibly giving up on it.

How would, for example, squatting once a week be better than squatting 3 x a week for a beginner?
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options

The amount of people who try to work out their own assist and totally get it messed up is pretty high. A beginner does not have enough experience to program - and assists are part of programming.

Except there's templates Wendler already put together a decent amount of templates. All of which are in the book, and several can be found with a Google search. The Triumvirate is pretty simple.
  • JNick77
    Options

^^yep.

Yes he does, but his version is completely different that SL5x5 and more in line with what is found in 5/3/1. He also discusses adding in "joker sets" for beginners which is not something you get in SL5x5.
  • JNick77
    Options

How would, for example, squatting once a week be better than squatting 3 x a week for a beginner?

Is it better to have squat 3 times a week or two squat once or twice a week and work a little bit harder? The answer is obvious, frequency does not guarantee better results.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    OP: what are your goals? Mainly strength or hypertrophy?
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts or Starting Strength.... nuff said
  • JNick77
    Options

True. But those are the people that are typically not following what Jim writes. He spells things out in the book. Heck, he even has a support site now on T-Nation.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Is it better to have squat 3 times a week or two squat once or twice a week and work a little bit harder? The answer is obvious, frequency does not guarantee better results.

Where do you squat 2 x a week in 5/3/1 - the basic version.

I also disagree. Working harder does not always equal better, and frequency does not guarantee it - but frequency and volume gives you a better shot at it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

True. But those are the people that are typically not following what Jim writes. He spells things out in the book. Heck, he even has a support site now on T-Nation.

There is still an amount of intelligent selection required.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

^^yep.

Yes he does, but his version is completely different that SL5x5 and more in line with what is found in 5/3/1. He also discusses adding in "joker sets" for beginners which is not something you get in SL5x5.

Yep. But it follows a 5 x 5 format - the progression is a bit different though.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Except there's templates Wendler already put together a decent amount of templates. All of which are in the book, and several can be found with a Google search. The Triumvirate is pretty simple.

You still need to select based on goals/strengths and weaknesses.