Posting your relationship on facebook

Options

Replies

• alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have been married to my husband for 20yrs.

We started out with separate accounts, and didn't update our "status".
    Now that we share a Facebook our status is set as married.

It didn't matter either way. We know we are married, and so do all our friends and family.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Have you even met face to face, or has it been online up to this point?
    Do you live in different countries?

if the answer to both of these questions is yes, then I wouldn't consider that to be 'in a relationship'.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    After 2 weeks?? Two weeks is not a relationship. Maybe that's why he won't do it.

Also, how does your relationship status on FB actually affect your relationship? The correct answer should be "it doesn't".
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'm in a distance relationship and my boyfriend said he doesn't want to change his relationship status on facebook after us meeting and being together for 2 weeks, saying that he's not very social and he doesn't want to explain to people about dating a foreign chick. He says he wants us to be in a relationship and he's taking it seriously, he doesn't want to cheat or anything, but it just seems to me like he's embarassed to tell people that we're together. How do you guys feel about changing your relationship status on facebook?

Some people are just very shy. Considering that I've got most of my family on Facebook I don't really want to post it there. I'd prefer to say it to my close friends face by face.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm still single on FB but my girlfriend doesn't have a FB account so what she doesn't know won't hurt her, it's nice to have all those women still throw themselves at me and flirt with all of them!

How YOU doin'? :wink:
    Thanks for the mid-afternoon chuckle.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Everything on facebook is 100% true.
    ^^^ This!!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I feel like my relationship status on facebook has very little do with my relationship.

^^^^ .. Totally this.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Meh. I'd be a little upset I admit. More so if it were going on for longer though. At 2 weeks I don't know if I'd feel comfortable saying that we were officially in a relationship, let alone facebook. I'd probably give it a little more time before getting bent out of shape over it, but I do think it's a valid complaint.

I don't really get why people want to be super private on a social media site. That's kind of what it's for, especially for someone like me that moved far away from friends and family and it's the main way I keep in touch with people these days, and I'd want them to know I'm with somebody great.

Again, I think it's a bit early to worry but in general being all secretive about that to me says he's either embarrassed to be in an online relationship or he's worried about hurting his chances at something else that may come along. Maybe that's just me.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Does he not list his relationship status or have that he's single?

If the whole thing is private and nobody can see it, I don't see an issue. But if he is reluctant to go from "single" to at least the info completely hidden, I'd wonder.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    2 ****ing weeks!
    start breaking his balls once you've been together for 2 years, not 2 weeks.
    i'd be getting red flags from you right now if i was him.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'd probably run if someone wanted to be "in a relationship" with me on Facebook after 2 weeks.

But I agree that if you think he's embarrassed of you, that's a problem.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's been 2 weeks. I'd accept his answer at face value. If, after having met in person and some serious time has passed, he doesn't want to acknowledge things then you might worry, but 2 weeks (to me) isn't in a relationship. It's talking and getting to know you.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Guys are usually pretty straight forward when it comes to stuff like this. Trust what he says. And if you can't, you might as well break up now because it's just the start of things you're going to question and doubt, especially since it's a long distance deal.
  • AryaSnow
    Options
    Slow down guys, I'm not acting like it's a tragedy or whatever. Just wanted some opinions. We spend 2 weeks together, but we've been talking on skype for 8 months and we're both serious about it, like talking about me moving to his country and so on. I'm not going to break up with him or anything, it just seemed like the next thing he would say would be: oh, I don't want us to hold hands or kiss in public or let's just tell my friends we're just friends...
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Slow down guys, I'm not acting like it's a tragedy or whatever. Just wanted some opinions. We spend 2 weeks together, but we've been talking on skype for 8 months and we're both serious about it, like talking about me moving to his country and so on. I'm not going to break up with him or anything, it just seemed like the next thing he would say would be: oh, I don't want us to hold hands or kiss in public or let's just tell my friends we're just friends...

How old are you? Serious question... That can alter my response :)
  • AryaSnow
    Options
    24 :)
    He also said he would give me his facebook pass to make sure he's not cheating on me or anything. That wasn't the point in any case. It was just if he's serious about me, why hide it?
  • TheBackStory
    Options

How old are you? Serious question... That can alter my response :)

My thoughts too
  • stat1124
    stat1124 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority of people here even though most made tongue in cheek jabs at facebook and the phenomena of the allure of it. However, Facebook should never dictate anything you do in real life PERIOD. It shouldn't have any bearing on your interactions with those that you are in a relationship with. I say listen to your head as much as you listen to your heart. If you feel that things are not quite what they should be, then address them, immediately and don't let it linger. Trust me, if he isnt the one for you, you will see more red flags than him not wanting to be attached to you on facebook. I personally have changed my status when or when not in a relationship if the person I was involved with wanted me to change it because at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter to me. However if it mattered to her and she wanted to be proud to see her name under mine when she went to my page, why wouldn't I want her to be happy. However would it have been a deal breaker for either of us, no way in hell. Your connection to him is the only thing that matters.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    He's not serious about it if he doesn't want everyone to know about you. Pretty straightforward.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    2 ****ing weeks!
    start breaking his balls once you've been together for 2 years, not 2 weeks.
    i'd be getting red flags from you right now if i was him.

^^^^ THIS. Over and over and over again.