LOL
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Absolutely outrageous.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the recommendation to increase bariatric surgery. Surgery should always be a LAST resort.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the recommendation to increase bariatric surgery. Surgery should always be a LAST resort.

Huh? Cant read the post how does an article on cholesterol=bariatric surgery. What is up with physician's lately every last one of them is knife crazy. I work with one MD who still feels that it should be a last ditch option. The rest are ready to cut the fatties open. Even my OB was saying well after you deliver maybe you want to consider it...I'm like uh I lost 70lbs doing my own thing thanks for the advice doc but no thanks.

sorry didnt mean to go off on a tangent but ive been seeing it everywhere lately. It's because they dont know what to do about obesity.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Agree!
  • rtfmtech
    rtfmtech Posts: 3 Member
    Options

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1200111

Actually for Diabetics, having the surgery can reverse the condition, even if they are of a healthy weight.. so it shouldn't always be overlooked because its "The easy way out"
  • Rob_Zamites
    Rob_Zamites Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's going to poison more of the citizens and line the pockets of big pharma. #keto
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The architects of the guidelines say their recommendations are based on the best available evidence. Large clinical trials have consistently shown that statins reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes, but the committee concluded that there is no evidence that hitting specific cholesterol targets makes a difference. No one has ever asked in a rigorous study if a person’s risk is lower with an LDL of 70 than 90 or 100, for example.

Dr. Neil J. Stone, the chairman of the committee and a professor of preventive cardiology at Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine, said he was surprised by what the group discovered as it delved into the evidence. “We deliberated for several years,” he said, “and could not come up with solid evidence for targets.”

Dr. Nissen, who was not a member of the committee, agreed. “The science was never there” for the LDL targets, he said. Past committees “made them up out of thin air,” he added.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/13/health/new-guidelines-redefine-use-of-statins.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0&hp
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Interesting, because my LDL is 180 and I don't want statins. No stank you. :glasses:

Eta: skimmed both CNN & Acg67 articles.

So ratios no longer matter?
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My total cholesterol is 224... my LDL is 124 and my HDL is a fabulous (as my doctor says) 85. There would be no way I'd take a statin.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Big Pharma wins again
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    I would imagine about 70% of the population has more than 1 risk factor that relates to CVD.......they'll be lining up for prescriptions.:tongue:
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Pretty crazy. This goes in the face of many recent studies saying medicating for high cholesterol is harmful in many cases. Really sounds like some people got paid big pharma money in the AHA.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why they would automatically place patients on a statin because they have risk factors. Why not focus on eliminating the risk factors? Ie improve diet, quit smoking, exercise? It's a standard of practice to give statins to patients who have had a TIA, CVA, heart attack a statin - but I don't see why they are essentially planning to give it out like candy.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    It was a heavyweight battle between ... big medicine and big surgery. And the surprising outcome -- THEY BOTH WIN! What a shock.

Take more pills
    Have more surgeries
    And don't forget your Soylent Green
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Pretty crazy. This goes in the face of many recent studies saying medicating for high cholesterol is harmful in many cases. Really sounds like some people got paid big pharma money in the AHA.

Most statins are generic. So this isn't a conspiracy by big pharm. The recommendations are designed to keep people alive longer, and they're based on the best available data.

Sure statins can have side effects. But in terms of longevity, you're better off taking them if you meet the new criteria which really aren't all that aggressive. If I had heart dz, DM, extremely high LDL, or a significant risk of heart attack in the next ten years I'd be demanding my doc prescribe me a statin.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

And you disagree based on what exactly? Your personal opinion? Perhaps you should monitor some people with BMI's over 40 for ten years and see what happens to them if they fail to lose weight. It's probably not a good idea to wait until they've already had a couple MI's to intervene with major surgery.
  • tilmoph
    tilmoph Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Fun thing to remember; the doctor can write as many prescriptions for statins as they want. You are under exactly zero obligation to have them filled. Might want to keep this in mind when they start trying to up the statin prescriptions.

Also, possibly a dumb questions; the article says they have no idea what to target for ideal cholesterol, so their recommendation is to just toss cholesterol lowering drugs at people who may possibly have a heart attack. So, uh, why? If we don't know what we're shooting for as far as cholesterol numbers go, what are we trying to achieve with the cholesterol lowering drugs?