Mathematics of Weight loss - How to really lose weight.

Options

Replies

• geneet3
    Options
    Oh yeah! Loved it!!!
  • epigirrl
    epigirrl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Tagged for later
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome talk! It makes everything make sense!
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    awesome!
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Really interesting post! Thanks.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Tagged for later
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Looks interesting, looking forward to finishing later.
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    bump to watch when I go home.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    bump
  • perfectflightisbeingthere
    Options
    bump for later too!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Interesting, thanks for sharing!
  • CaseyKay1980
    CaseyKay1980 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Tag and Bump
  • Kitty7814
    Options
    Very cool, thank you!
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Interesting video, but his chemistry is a little off. To lose 10kg of fat, you have to exhale about 29.2kg of CO2 and about 12kg of H2O (he kinda ignores the whole stoichiomatry bit in his math). To those trying to figure out how calories fit into this business, the short of it is that anytime a chemical bond is formed or broken, energy is absorbed or released. This is usually calculated in joules (which can readily be converted to calories). Depending on how our body metabolises(does a chemical reaction with) a given molecule will control how much useable energy we get out of it. With regards to thermoregulation, our body constantly produces heat as a by product of metabolising molecules. If we get too hot we cool off with perspiration. If we get too cold we start to shiver. This is because as we shiver we move and as we move we burn energy so our body metabolises more in order to produce heat to try and heat us up. Of couse the more in detail you look at this stuff, the more complex it gets.

Thanks for writing this up. Very informative.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    This fundamental question has been vexing me since I started my fitness efforts a few months ago. Now I know, great video.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Interesting video, but his chemistry is a little off. To lose 10kg of fat, you have to exhale about 29.2kg of CO2 and about 12kg of H2O (he kinda ignores the whole stoichiomatry bit in his math). To those trying to figure out how calories fit into this business, the short of it is that anytime a chemical bond is formed or broken, energy is absorbed or released. This is usually calculated in joules (which can readily be converted to calories). Depending on how our body metabolises(does a chemical reaction with) a given molecule will control how much useable energy we get out of it. With regards to thermoregulation, our body constantly produces heat as a by product of metabolising molecules. If we get too hot we cool off with perspiration. If we get too cold we start to shiver. This is because as we shiver we move and as we move we burn energy so our body metabolises more in order to produce heat to try and heat us up. Of couse the more in detail you look at this stuff, the more complex it gets.

Thanks! Somehow I feel like the energy/heat generated by breaking down the fat molecule is an important part of "where the fat goes" and he doesn't really acknowledge it. Although I suppose he is only concerned with where the actual mass/molecules go. Pretty cool to think about.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    As an addendum to the original video, this is another one that talks about the psychology of weight loss and what the difference is between a person who successfully loses weight and keeps it off and those who don't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWfqBy4sSD8

Loved the TED video (not a science nerd) but I loved how he said it is as simple as eat less move more and his "hand slapping" of the "Diet Guru's".

Now this video I did watch....not sure I agree with her totally.

The psycology of weight loss may prevent people from losing weight but that is not a hard scientific truth. IMHO it's a choice and you either really are ready to lose the weight and listen to those who have done it and maintained....or you are not and you really just want a quick fix.....perhaps that is psycology working but everyone can change that part.

She says in one part "just eat less is wrong and counter productive"....it's not, it's a hard fact

Then she goes on to state the reason's people fail....

1. Deprevation - Agreed but she says change your preferences which takes time to find those things you do like but in reality eat less of what you like already...no one should give up what they really love to eat just eat less of it

2. Self control is limited - ah no...you have as much self control as you give yourself. Her explaination is that the more you use self control the less you have...she goes on to talk about being mentally tired due to forcing yourself to go to the gym and doing something you really don't want to do....again why do that....find something you love to do. I hate cardio so I lift weights which I love (this is not rocket science.)

3. Thought Suppression - Her example is "don't think of pizza" that's all you think about...why not think about pizza....???? again it goes back to deprevation not working. but I do agree with her on being mindful of what you are eating....use the kithen scale and weight your food.

It goes on to ask the question

What are successful dieters doing? Her reply "we don't really know." because there is not enough pycological research done but she sums up what she has observed.

Sucessful People who lose the weight and keep it off do 2 things

1. Don't view it as a "DIET" and don't subscribe to the whole "deprivation" idea, but rather a permanent lifestyle change to treat your body well with one of the side effects being weight loss.
    1b. Taking a personalised approach eating the foods you love and moving in a fun way for them.
    2. No Fad diets as they don't work for permanent weight loss

What makes it easier according to her is "weight loss counselling" getting good advice to realign expectations (no you can't lose 30lbs in one month) to how to make it a sustainable thing (no deprevation) and that people who get this advice and support are more likey to lose and maintain.

Her concluding point was Weight loss shouldn't be about eating less it should be about thinking differently.

So basically her 9.5 min "talk" can be summed up in one sentence.

Listen to the "mean" people here and you will get the success you want because they are stating everything that has been proven to be a "successful" method of losing weight and keeping it off.
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    FAQ - do I lose weight if I breathe more - Answer: bla bla bla ... no
    Ending statement: to lose weight, eat less, move more and ,,, wait for it ... *breathe more*

Mr scientist, are you smoking some of that liquid nitrogen?

Other than that, awesome lecture.