A call to more heavily regulate the supplement industry

Options

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that the market is NOT taking care of these things. The market has largely NOT taken care of purity, content, efficacy, and safety. The market has NOT taken care of scientifically establishing efficacy. The market has NOT taken care of scientifically establishing side effects. The market has NOT taken care of misleading labeling.

These things are - right now - actual problems. People are spending billions of dollars a year on unregulated supplements being marketed to them for essentially specious purposes. The market has not fixed this.

I wouldn't either if people are happy to spend billions on my crap.

Exactly. People are so happy to lap this stuff up, there's no market pressure for any of it. The public clearly doesn't give a damn if the stuff actually works, as long as some "expert" goes on TV and tells them it does.

But if they're so happy with the arrangement, why take it away from them? Why do you want to make people unhappy, jonnythan? First you say you're smarter, THEN you wanna take away their fun! Sheesh!

That's the thing about scientists. We don't want to be told something works. We want to see the data. We want to know what people are putting into their bodies. And then we get called a bunch of uncaring so-and-so's by paranoid, knee jerking, fine upstanding, pot smoking citizens. *sniff*

I wasn't aware scientists liked to tell people what to do.

Where am I telling someone to do something?

Oh, YOU'RE not....

But I must have sounded far too serious in my other post....
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    I'm rather highly educated. I have college-level education in multiple disciplines of science and research. I have a degree in a hard science (biology). I have professional experience with actual live clinical research. I am a graduate student in public health. I am, forgive me for my arrogance, rather more intelligent than the vast majority of Americans.

I have a rather higher ability to sort out "science" from "marketing" than most people, yes.

Education isn't intelligence, although I'm not questioning your IQ or anything.

That's why I listed intelligence and education separately. The line about intelligence wasn't a conclusion from the previous lines, though I see it can look that way.

Besides, my education, which is largely in science, public health, and research, is extremely relevant to my ability to make informed decisions for myself about supplements.

While it does sound like you're very well educated, intelligent, and well reasoned with most of your posts (not like I stalk you or anything), I have to think that most people given a small surplus of time and enough interest would come to the same conclusion without compulsion from an outside entity.

I'm not sure I share your optimism, given the fact that millions of people have tons of time and still load up their carts with raspberry ketones.

Note to self: Invest in raspberry ketones
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that the market is NOT taking care of these things. The market has largely NOT taken care of purity, content, efficacy, and safety. The market has NOT taken care of scientifically establishing efficacy. The market has NOT taken care of scientifically establishing side effects. The market has NOT taken care of misleading labeling.

These things are - right now - actual problems. People are spending billions of dollars a year on unregulated supplements being marketed to them for essentially specious purposes. The market has not fixed this.

Exactly. People are so happy to lap this stuff up, there's no market pressure for any of it. The public clearly doesn't give a damn if the stuff actually works, as long as some "expert" goes on TV and tells them it does.

But if they're so happy with the arrangement, why take it away from them? Why do you want to make people unhappy, jonnythan? First you say you're smarter, THEN you wanna take away their fun! Sheesh!

That's the thing about scientists. We don't want to be told something works. We want to see the data. We want to know what people are putting into their bodies. And then we get called a bunch of uncaring so-and-so's by paranoid, knee jerking, fine upstanding, pot smoking citizens. *sniff*

This whole thread is about telling people what to do. You think you are smarter than the rest, so you get to say what we can or can't put in our own bodies.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I'm rather highly educated. I have college-level education in multiple disciplines of science and research. I have a degree in a hard science (biology). I have professional experience with actual live clinical research. I am a graduate student in public health. I am, forgive me for my arrogance, rather more intelligent than the vast majority of Americans.

I have a rather higher ability to sort out "science" from "marketing" than most people, yes.

Education isn't intelligence, although I'm not questioning your IQ or anything.

That's why I listed intelligence and education separately. The line about intelligence wasn't a conclusion from the previous lines, though I see it can look that way.

Besides, my education, which is largely in science, public health, and research, is extremely relevant to my ability to make informed decisions for myself about supplements.

While it does sound like you're very well educated, intelligent, and well reasoned with most of your posts (not like I stalk you or anything), I have to think that most people given a small surplus of time and enough interest would come to the same conclusion without compulsion from an outside entity.

I'm not sure I share your optimism, given the fact that millions of people have tons of time and still load up their carts with raspberry ketones.

Wait, raspberry ketones don't work? WHAT?!

Being silly, of course. Honestly, I do have a friend who takes the green coffee bean supplement because she's so fed up with trying to lose weight and not succeeding. I think it's a complete waste of money and I've told her so. It's hard to see her buying things like that (and God only knows what else) when I know that it isn't doing to do a damn thing. But there's no way I--or any science--can change her mind.

If the supplement industry was regulated and that coffee bean supplement was removed from the market, I have no doubt that something else would just fill its place. And she would buy it. Repeat, ad infinitum, for a great deal of the population.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Let me help this thread out with a real example from my past experience.

Garlic supplements. Garlic supplements can thin your blood. This has the potential to be dangerous if you are taking Warfarin.

When I sold garlic supplements, I checked with my customers. I was not required to, however, and many other managers/staff did not. There is no requirement to post contra-indications on the bottle.

You can, today, go out and buy garlic oil supplements, take them on top of your Warfarin, and have no idea that there is a potential interaction.

You can also get prescriptions from different doctors that can counteract or cause a negative reaction. It is impossible to prevent that from happening. People have to be responsible. You can't force it through laws.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

Garlic supplements. Garlic supplements can thin your blood. This has the potential to be dangerous if you are taking Warfarin.

When I sold garlic supplements, I checked with my customers. I was not required to, however, and many other managers/staff did not. There is no requirement to post contra-indications on the bottle.

You can, today, go out and buy garlic oil supplements, take them on top of your Warfarin, and have no idea that there is a potential interaction.

You can also get prescriptions from different doctors that can counteract or cause a negative reaction. It is impossible to prevent that from happening. People have to be responsible. You can't force it through laws.

Also people, keep your prescriptions at ONE pharmacy! Quit jumping around, we have no idea what you're taking if you use multiple chains...contraindications GALORE....
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

This whole thread is about telling people what to do. You think you are smarter than the rest, so you get to say what we can or can't put in our own bodies.

Actually, if you read my original post, I sort of advocate Darwin when it comes to this sort of thing. Not a fan of big govm't, though I do understand a great deal of how the FDA works and why it exists. But you were too busy doing your knee jerking exercises to realize that, I suppose.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Honestly, I do have a friend who takes the green coffee bean supplement because she's so fed up with trying to lose weight and not succeeding. I think it's a complete waste of money and I've told her so. It's hard to see her buying things like that (and God only knows what else) when I know that it isn't doing to do a damn thing. But there's no way I--or any science--can change her mind.

If the supplement industry was regulated and that coffee bean supplement was removed from the market, I have no doubt that something else would just fill its place. And she would buy it. Repeat, ad infinitum, for a great deal of the population.

This is the point the self-righteous can't seem to grasp. Consumers and producers always find a way to meet each other's needs.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Fundamental misunderstanding. No one is trying to ban anything (unless it's straight up deadly).

What we are looking for is -

1. Regulations ensuring that what it says on the label, is what you get in the bottle.
    2. Clinical proof of all health claims made, no matter how couched in soft language like 'is thought to...' or 'was once used by peruvian farmers to...'

Beyond that, you can do whatever the heck you please. If St. John's Wort is shown to be a worthless weed, you can still sell it for all I care. You just can't tell the unsuspecting public that "it may treat symptoms of depression", because it's been shown not to.

I also support the legalization of drugs, as it happens. I'd like to see them regulated too. I'm not a user, but it would be nice to know that I had the freedom to make the choice if I wanted to, and that if I did choose to partake, I'd know precisely what I was putting in my body.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Actually, if you read my original post, I sort of advocate Darwin when it comes to this sort of thing. Not a fan of big govm't, though I do understand a great deal of how the FDA works and why it exists. But you were too busy doing your knee jerking exercises to realize that, I suppose.

That was supposed to have been directed at the OP. Sorry if I misread that.
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Like the gov. has done such a great job with the Rx industry? NOT
    They believe the manufacturers and then the manufacturers get to charge a few thousand times what their drugs are worth
    And we want to let that happen to supplements?
    Will they later come after me for growing my own herbs?
  • SaraLily
    Options
    I agree. This is ridiculous. They ban so many things because some people used it irresponsibly. But cigarettes / alcohol is still legal...I know it's not the same thing, but still, looks to me they will ban whatever doesn't bring them money with taxes.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Fundamental misunderstanding. No one is trying to ban anything (unless it's straight up deadly).

What we are looking for is -

1. Regulations ensuring that what it says on the label, is what you get in the bottle.
    2. Clinical proof of all health claims made, no matter how couched in soft language like 'is thought to...' or 'was once used by peruvian farmers to...'

Beyond that, you can do whatever the heck you please. If St. John's Wort is shown to be a worthless weed, you can still sell it for all I care. You just can't tell the unsuspecting public that "it may treat symptoms of depression", because it's been shown not to.

I also support the legalization of drugs, as it happens. I'd like to see them regulated too. I'm not a user, but it would be nice to know that I had the freedom to make the choice if I wanted to, and that if I did choose to partake, I'd know precisely what I was putting in my body.

1. Laws against fraud already do that. And current regs on meds, even prescription meds, don't *guarantee* that it won't happen. There was a case not long ago of a pharmacist who defrauded cancer patients by not putting the correct dosage of meds in their pills and adding filler.

2. Current laws about *not* making health claims are sufficient. Manufacturers shouldn't be making health claims, imo.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Like the gov. has done such a great job with the Rx industry? NOT
    They believe the manufacturers and then the manufacturers get to charge a few thousand times what their drugs are worth
    And we want to let that happen to supplements?
    Will they later come after me for growing my own herbs?

They already do in some places. Look at what is happening in Europe. :ohwell:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Unlike the garlic, those medications have warning labels.
  • peachcats
    Options
    I don't go anywhere near supplements(including protein powder, even though it's a food).
    So many dangerous chemicals, etc. Many of the products BB.com was selling were laced with steroids.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Also people, keep your prescriptions at ONE pharmacy! Quit jumping around, we have no idea what you're taking if you use multiple chains...contraindications GALORE....

True. And sometimes people do this on purpose, just as they "doctor shop" in order to get the drugs they want.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Unlike the garlic, those medications have warning labels.

Oh, but people aren't as smart as you! However will they read the warning?
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

You're right. It's hopeless. Let's not even try.

And food safety - to heck with it. You can catch E.Coli from spinach grown in your garden, right? So why make farms adhere to any sort of safety standards?

Drug testing? Nah, just let them put it on the market and find out about side effects from the populous. I'm sure if enough people die, then the links will be made to the drugs in at least a couple of years, and the company will get it right off the shelf before too many more people die or are made sick enough to live the rest of their lives in financial ruin from medical bills.

Your nihilistic viewpoints ignore the fact that you are currently protected by countless regulations, and you have no idea what would happen if they were not in place. We all live a luxurious, protected life, with little or no worry about the safety of the food we eat and the medicines we use, precisely because of the regulations you so despise.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

The thread is a discussion on potentially regulating and industry. Not telling individuals they can or cannot consume something.
This discussion has been closed.