A call to more heavily regulate the supplement industry

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Let me help this thread out with a real example from my past experience.

Garlic supplements. Garlic supplements can thin your blood. This has the potential to be dangerous if you are taking Warfarin.

When I sold garlic supplements, I checked with my customers. I was not required to, however, and many other managers/staff did not. There is no requirement to post contra-indications on the bottle.

You can, today, go out and buy garlic oil supplements, take them on top of your Warfarin, and have no idea that there is a potential interaction.

You can also get prescriptions from different doctors that can counteract or cause a negative reaction. It is impossible to prevent that from happening. People have to be responsible. You can't force it through laws.

You're right. It's hopeless. Let's not even try.

And food safety - to heck with it. You can catch E.Coli from spinach grown in your garden, right? So why make farms adhere to any sort of safety standards?

Drug testing? Nah, just let them put it on the market and find out about side effects from the populous. I'm sure if enough people die, then the links will be made to the drugs in at least a couple of years, and the company will get it right off the shelf before too many more people die or are made sick enough to live the rest of their lives in financial ruin from medical bills.

Your nihilistic viewpoints ignore the fact that you are currently protected by countless regulations, and you have no idea what would happen if they were not in place. We all live a luxurious, protected life, with little or no worry about the safety of the food we eat and the medicines we use, precisely because of the regulations you so despise.

What *must* be done is to have an avenue of justice for victims. We must keep laws simple and to the point. A false sense of security is much more dangerous than a free market.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that the market is NOT taking care of these things. The market has largely NOT taken care of purity, content, efficacy, and safety. The market has NOT taken care of scientifically establishing efficacy. The market has NOT taken care of scientifically establishing side effects. The market has NOT taken care of misleading labeling.

These things are - right now - actual problems. People are spending billions of dollars a year on unregulated supplements being marketed to them for essentially specious purposes. The market has not fixed this.

I wouldn't either if people are happy to spend billions on my crap.

Exactly. People are so happy to lap this stuff up, there's no market pressure for any of it. The public clearly doesn't give a damn if the stuff actually works, as long as some "expert" goes on TV and tells them it does.

But if they're so happy with the arrangement, why take it away from them? Why do you want to make people unhappy, jonnythan? First you say you're smarter, THEN you wanna take away their fun! Sheesh!

That's the thing about scientists. We don't want to be told something works. We want to see the data. We want to know what people are putting into their bodies. And then we get called a bunch of uncaring so-and-so's by paranoid, knee jerking, fine upstanding, pot smoking citizens. *sniff*

I wasn't aware scientists liked to tell people what to do.

Where am I telling someone to do something?

This whole thread is about telling people what to do. You think you are smarter than the rest, so you get to say what we can or can't put in our own bodies.

The thread is a discussion on potentially regulating and industry. Not telling individuals they can or cannot consume something.

That completely ignores consumers, as if consumers have *nothing* to do with the very existence of an industry. People don't buy things because they are for sale. Rather, people sell things that consumers want to buy.
  • peachcats
    Options
    Regulation has nothing to do with keeping supplements from consumers, just ensuring that what vendors are claiming their product is... really is that.
    Until then, enjoy your dangerous metals in your protein powder.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Let me help this thread out with a real example from my past experience.

Garlic supplements. Garlic supplements can thin your blood. This has the potential to be dangerous if you are taking Warfarin.

When I sold garlic supplements, I checked with my customers. I was not required to, however, and many other managers/staff did not. There is no requirement to post contra-indications on the bottle.

You can, today, go out and buy garlic oil supplements, take them on top of your Warfarin, and have no idea that there is a potential interaction.

You can also get prescriptions from different doctors that can counteract or cause a negative reaction. It is impossible to prevent that from happening. People have to be responsible. You can't force it through laws.

You're right. It's hopeless. Let's not even try.

And food safety - to heck with it. You can catch E.Coli from spinach grown in your garden, right? So why make farms adhere to any sort of safety standards?

Drug testing? Nah, just let them put it on the market and find out about side effects from the populous. I'm sure if enough people die, then the links will be made to the drugs in at least a couple of years, and the company will get it right off the shelf before too many more people die or are made sick enough to live the rest of their lives in financial ruin from medical bills.

Your nihilistic viewpoints ignore the fact that you are currently protected by countless regulations, and you have no idea what would happen if they were not in place. We all live a luxurious, protected life, with little or no worry about the safety of the food we eat and the medicines we use, precisely because of the regulations you so despise.

What *must* be done is to have an avenue of justice for victims. We must keep laws simple and to the point. A false sense of security is much more dangerous than a free market.

See, I'd rather minimize the victims in the first place.

If my daughter dies of E.Coli from infected spinach, it's cold comfort that I can sue the farm.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    The bottom line is that the market is NOT taking care of these things. The market has largely NOT taken care of purity, content, efficacy, and safety. The market has NOT taken care of scientifically establishing efficacy. The market has NOT taken care of scientifically establishing side effects. The market has NOT taken care of misleading labeling.

These things are - right now - actual problems. People are spending billions of dollars a year on unregulated supplements being marketed to them for essentially specious purposes. The market has not fixed this.

Exactly. People are so happy to lap this stuff up, there's no market pressure for any of it. The public clearly doesn't give a damn if the stuff actually works, as long as some "expert" goes on TV and tells them it does.

But if they're so happy with the arrangement, why take it away from them? Why do you want to make people unhappy, jonnythan? First you say you're smarter, THEN you wanna take away their fun! Sheesh!

That's the thing about scientists. We don't want to be told something works. We want to see the data. We want to know what people are putting into their bodies. And then we get called a bunch of uncaring so-and-so's by paranoid, knee jerking, fine upstanding, pot smoking citizens. *sniff*

This whole thread is about telling people what to do. You think you are smarter than the rest, so you get to say what we can or can't put in our own bodies.

The thread is a discussion on potentially regulating and industry. Not telling individuals they can or cannot consume something.

That completely ignores consumers, as if consumers have *nothing* to do with the very existence of an industry. People don't buy things because they are for sale. Rather, people sell things that consumers want to buy.

I'm currently taking some MBA marketing courses. I can tell you that this is categorically wrong.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

I am not advocating that anything be outright banned. In my opinion, marijuana, cocaine, opiates, etc should be legal. There is a difference between telling an individual that they cannot put something in their body and telling a company they have to be honest or face civil/criminal charges.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

I'm currently taking some MBA marketing courses. I can tell you that this is categorically wrong.

Yeah, it ignores that some products are created to exploit people with certain medical issues, thus creating the market.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Well, to be fair... sounds like you're a student not a master. :wink:
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Well, to be fair... sounds like you're a student not a master. :wink:

Always a student. Always. It'll be a boring life if there's ever nothing new to learn.

Edited to snip. I don't think the thread needs any more walls of quotes...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I opened this thread. OMG. There are crazy people everywhere in here. I'm out. :noway:
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I will admit, I came in here like
    Eunjung+T-ara+Vitamin+GIF+(3).gif

After serious (and some silly) discussion, I am willing to admit that I changed my mind--slightly. The labeling could definitely be better, but there are rules in place already to address the issue of false claims.

ETA: We also had an interesting discussion about why some drugs shouldn't be illegal, including prescription and recreational drugs that don't necessarily have beneficial effects for everyone.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Well, this tread took a few detours to crazy town. After reading it all, and some other related material last night, my position is now this:

1. Regulate it.
    2. Companies must verify the contents of that they're selling, labeling to be included on the bottle.
    3. Companies must show evidence to support their health claims.
    4. Companies cannot be held liable for the consumer misusing the product.
    5. Companies are not responsible for the consumer's health if they fail to check drug interactions.

I hate the idea of adding mass to the federal government but I decided that his was an area I could stand to see, a necessary evil if you will. It goes along with a similar view I hold towards prostitution, but that would be state run regulation instead of national (a bit off topic I know except in the regulatory sense).

That's it for me. The rest of you continue to have fun.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I cannot comment on whether government should regulate the claims that herbal supplements make as I'm totally biased towards clinical trials and western medicine. However, I find it really interesting that there is an argument about the FDA (or some company) verifying/regulating the content of these supplements.

This is from a new study where 44 supplements from 12 different companies were tested....
    BMC Med. 2013 Oct 11;11(1):222.
    DNA barcoding detects contamination and substitution in North American herbal products.
    Newmaster SG, Grguric M, Shanmughanandhan D, Ramalingam S, Ragupathy S.

1105-HERBAL-FOR-FRONT-popup_zps41e9813b.jpg

"Although we were able to authenticate almost half (48%) of the products, one-third of these also contained contaminants and or fillers not listed on the label. Product substitution occurred in 30/44 of the products tested and only 2/12 companies had products without any substitution, contamination or fillers. Some of the contaminants we found pose serious health risks to consumers."

Even if you don't like government regulation, how can one argue that these companies should continue to be left to their own devices and blatantly mislabel and mislead the public?

*edited to fix picture
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I cannot comment on whether government should regulate the claims that herbal supplements make as I'm totally biased towards clinical trials and western medicine. However, I find it really interesting that there is an argument about the FDA (or some company) verifying/regulating the content of these supplements.

This is from a new study where 44 supplements from 12 different companies were tested....
    DNA barcoding detects contamination and substitution in North American herbal products.

"Although we were able to authenticate almost half (48%) of the products, one-third of these also contained contaminants and or fillers not listed on the label. Product substitution occurred in 30/44 of the products tested and only 2/12 companies had products without any substitution, contamination or fillers. Some of the contaminants we found pose serious health risks to consumers."

Even if you don't like government regulation, how can one argue that these companies should continue to be left to their own devices and blatantly mislabel and mislead the public?

*edited to fix picture

I :heart: this study.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

*edited to fix picture

The market will correct itself once consumers learn this!!!!

Of course, they won't. Consumers just assume that the stuff on the label is true. Companies get away with this crap, though, because there is no authority which can fine or otherwise punish them for it. Reputation be damned. You will notice there are no dozens of lawsuits against these companies either.

The market is not correcting itself.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

*edited to fix picture

This is great information. Thanks!
  • rbcrawford1
    rbcrawford1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Government is no more than organized crime, the difference is that the mafia has principles. Politicians are not held accountable, they get bounced out of office and into cushy lobbying posts. Government has more blood on it's hands than all private corporations combined could ever dream of, so why would you put your trust in nameless faceless bureaucrats?

Rigger

Well, I work for the federal government. You can put my face on it. Didn't know I was in the mafia, though. Guess I should be agitating for a bigger paycheck.
  • rbcrawford1
    rbcrawford1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love how the anti-regulation side ignored my question as to what due diligence would entail.

Well, first you'd need a lab. And probably an advanced degree in chemistry.

So....yeah.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Government is no more than organized crime, the difference is that the mafia has principles. Politicians are not held accountable, they get bounced out of office and into cushy lobbying posts. Government has more blood on it's hands than all private corporations combined could ever dream of, so why would you put your trust in nameless faceless bureaucrats?

Rigger

Well, I work for the federal government. You can put my face on it. Didn't know I was in the mafia, though. Guess I should be agitating for a bigger paycheck.

The "cement shoes" clause in the contract didn't tip you off?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

*edited to fix picture

The market will correct itself once consumers learn this!!!!

Of course, they won't. Consumers just assume that the stuff on the label is true. Companies get away with this crap, though, because there is no authority which can fine or otherwise punish them for it. Reputation be damned. You will notice there are no dozens of lawsuits against these companies either.

The market is not correcting itself.

and the FDA can be trusted to correct it for us?

They're completely above board, non-biased, and have never done anything shady, right?

I'm sure we can find a safer option... like Consumer Reports.
This discussion has been closed.