too self conscious for heavy lifting

Options
13»

Replies

• maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I can totally empathize. I don't mind going in there if it isn't crowded, but I don't like crowds under the best of circumstances, and a gym isn't the best of circumstances. Sometimes I can get myself to go in, even when it's crowded, but sometimes I chicken out. I'm thinking about getting an inexpensive set of weights for home. It's not like I need hundreds of pounds yet. And when I do need that much weight maybe I'll feel more confident.
  • Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    Just go ahead and do it. The big guys may turn out to be irritating or they may turn out to be nice guys, but that shouldn't matter. Just go ahead and do your thing, don't worry about the rest.
  • afronigga6
    Options
    If you want to start lifting heavier weight, here's what you do:

1) Just use weight that is slightly heavier than what you're used to. Eg. If you're used to doing 10lb bicep curls, go for 15. The small difference will ensure that you're still able to lift it, keep proper form and therefore, NOT make a fool of yourself. When your body feels comfortable enough to, you then move on to the 20lb, then 25 etc. You'll get there. What a lot of people forget is that getting the body you want takes TIME. Phil Heath didn't start benching 250lbs his 1st day at the gym.

2) As a guy, I think it's safe to say that I speak for the rest of our sex that I find a female who reaches for heavier weights....(You ready for this?) SEXY. Yeah, I said it. We're SO used to seeing women exercise with the 5lb weights EVERY week, using bad form, flirting with the trainers, leaving the gym with the same clothes they came in, so you know they didn't even break a sweat. :sick: Seriously? Now a woman who I see is making progress with her training, lifting heavier, struggling to get that last damn rep out, going as hard as I am...that s*^t is hot. Break the stereotype of a woman being weak when it comes to physical activities. Don't be like the other chicks who use their vagina as an excuse to waste their time in the gym and lift light weight all the damn time. When I see a female lift heavy, it also pushes me, makes me evaluate my entire exercise program, 'cus although no guy wants to lift less than a girl, it's great to know that there's one who can handle her own when weight training. Next time, just go and train in their area. I'm not saying to train with them, but they'll welcome you in time.

Don't worry about it. Just go there and lift some s#*t that's heavier than the last thing you lifted. Let's know how things go.

**Cheers** :smile:
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you want to start lifting heavier weight, here's what you do:

1) Just use weight that is slightly heavier than what you're used to. Eg. If you're used to doing 10lb bicep curls, go for 15. The small difference will ensure that you're still able to lift it, keep proper form and therefore, NOT make a fool of yourself. When your body feels comfortable enough to, you then move on to the 20lb, then 25 etc. You'll get there. What a lot of people forget is that getting the body you want takes TIME. Phil Heath didn't start benching 250lbs his 1st day at the gym.

2) As a guy, I think it's safe to say that I speak for the rest of our sex that I find a female who reaches for heavier weights....(You ready for this?) SEXY. Yeah, I said it. We're SO used to seeing women exercise with the 5lb weights EVERY week, using bad form, flirting with the trainers, leaving the gym with the same clothes they came in, so you know they didn't even break a sweat. :sick: Seriously? Now a woman who I see is making progress with her training, lifting heavier, struggling to get that last damn rep out, going as hard as I am...that s*^t is hot. Break the stereotype of a woman being weak when it comes to physical activities. Don't be like the other chicks who use their vagina as an excuse to waste their time in the gym and lift light weight all the damn time. When I see a female lift heavy, it also pushes me, makes me evaluate my entire exercise program, 'cus although no guy wants to lift less than a girl, it's great to know that there's one who can handle her own when weight training. Next time, just go and train in their area. I'm not saying to train with them, but they'll welcome you in time.

Don't worry about it. Just go there and lift some s#*t that's heavier than the last thing you lifted. Let's know how things go.

**Cheers** :smile:

I really enjoy a non-pc, HONEST response on this site.

This-and don't hog a station. Its very annoying to see someone screwing around, sitting on a machine or bench in between sets hogging it when there are people waiting.

As a guy I love seeing women lifting freeweights.
  • afronigga6
    Options
    As a guy I love seeing women lifting freeweights.

Told ya. :wink:
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    It all comes down to one really simple question that you have to ask yourself:

What is more important to you: the opinions of random strangers, or your body, health, and well-being?

It's your choice. Just think about that question. What's your answer?

Don't over-complicate it.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    They don't own the weights any more than you do. You go take what you want, girl. :D

Seriously, though, in my experience, the guys in the weight area are more than willing to share space-- especially for a woman. It's nice to see more women in the weights area of gyms.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    This use to be me! I finally decided I wanted to look good more than I cared what others thought. I needed to stop putting it off. Try Stronglifts it is good and easy :D
  • salsasally
    salsasally Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about bodypump? my class is mostly women, and they freaking kill it!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You look to be in good shape already. Just go for it. Nothing to be self conscious about, just have a plan with you on arrival.