lost and confused (please help)

Options
2»

Replies

• Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    TDEE is not supposed to account for your exercise routine. Just your daily life. Exercise should not be factored into deciding your TDEE or what is the point of logging exercises in MFP at all?
    My TDEE is based on sedentary because my life is sedentary. My workouts are hardcore, so on the days that I do those, I log them and eat additional calories as appropriate. Ratcheting up your TDEE to account for workouts makes that entire section of this website meaningless.
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    MFP does not calculate TDEE,

Of course it does! BMR calculations don't require you to input your activity level. MFP asks for Sedentary, lightly active, etc... No reason to ask that if you aren't calculating TDEE.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    MFP does not calculate a true TDEE, and you are partially right if you use the numbers from MFP you are supposed to eat your exercise calories back but if you use the numbers from an outside website then the exercise is figured in for a closer TDEE. We are arguing about apples and oranges here. It is silly.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    bugger the numbers for a minute. how do you feel, and are you taking measurements. how much strength training areayoudoing, could you be replacing a little fat with a little muscle? that would explain static weight. are you seeing any difference in body shape.

if you are doing a reasonable amount of training you really have to eat those calories back to see some improvement in muscle tone. strength training done properly will make you lose weight more slowly, but you will still lose fat and inches.

the opposite happened to me. I went into overdrive to lose my last 2k, lost it really fast, then found I had burned muscle and increased fat.

a lot of people plateau after a few weeks, especially if on the lower end of calories. give yourself a couple of weeks off, eat maintenance calories, and let your body reset. I know everyone wants results super fast, but this seems to have worked for a lot of people, including me.

don't think that junk food is on just because you eat less and stay on calorie limit. junk is junk.
    heres my philosophy, if the ingredients on the packet are not really available in the supermarket to add to your food at home, then why are good manufactures adding it.
    except sugar, I know why they add this, because it is addictive, makes you crave more, and makes them loads of money.

come on girl, you have come this far, let's do it properly, eat wisely, your body will love you for it, and you will love your body :-)
  • stormydestiny
    Options
    thank you i have lost four inches from my waist and hips. two from each arm and one on each leg. idk i feel good enerfized and such, not hungry and when i am i eat
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I would aim for 20% less than your TDEE (around 2050 calories) and if you log any exercise on MFP, eat at least half of what it says you burned doing the workout. (i.e. if you walked and burned 300 calories, eat an additional 150 to 300 calories that day.)

the TDEE calculation should include exercise so theres no need to eat them back.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight and inch loss so far, you've made amazing progress!

The hard sums are difficult and confusing, but MFP uses similar calculations - I've never found mine to be more than a handful of calories different than those on other sites.

To keep things simple, I'd use MFP's default settings to lose 1lb a week (yes we all want to lose faster, but with a lot to lose it will come off faster at first and you won't have to make radical adjustments down the line) and eat back a good proportion of your exercise calories. I wouldn't personally count walking unless it's at a fitness pace that makes you properly out of breath.

Eat healthy food you love, do exercise you enjoy, realise this is along-term commitment to health, not an overnight weighty-loss fad, and Bob's your uncle :flowerforyou:
  • nylphia
    Options
    You can Eat 1200 calories of lean meat or 1200 calories found in olive oil. do you think the difference will be the same. Its still 1200 calories right. Clearly the Oil will have a completely different effect. Try to make sure your calories are balanced. I read Dr. Phil Ultimate weight loss and his formula really helped me to change my eating habit and I see the results. Plan your meals and keep it simple but Stick to your calorie count for the day but break it up into Daily nutritional requirements.

3 servings per day - Protein
    i.e. Breakfast (B) - EGGS - 1 whole or white- (moderate by calories) – whole eggs have more calories than white eggs so you get to eat more if you have 3 egg whites rather than three whole eggs.
    Lunch (L) - Chicken breast / burger meat / fish , etc -
    Dinner (D) - Lamb chop, chicken, fish, lean meat etc.

2 Servings - Dairy
    i.e.- low fat cheese, yogurt, skim milk, etc

2 - 3 Servings of Carbs (whole grain or wheat when you can)
    i.e. Oats, Bread, Bagel (half), muffin, Brown Pasta, Brown rice, High Fiber Cereal

2 Servings of Veggies

2 Fruit

1 serving of Fat
    i.e. Nuts - olive oil - low fat oil can be 2 tbl spoon

A serving is measured by the label and not how much can fit on your plate. Good Luck.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You will get lots of advice on here telling you to eat more...especially from large muscular men. You can certainly try it, but my experience is that I can't lose on anywhere near what those TDEE calculators say I should eat.

However, you should be losing at 1200 calories, or probably 1500 calories. My suggestion would be to make sure you are really being accurate on your calorie count. Get a food scale, and weigh or measure everything, at least for awhile. Eventually you'll get pretty good at estimating portion size, but at first it's difficult.
  • stormydestiny
    Options
    thank you everyone :)