can you stll lose belly fat and have carbs?

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Wheat belly has been dubunked and is ridiculous. He clearly misquoted and falsified the information presented. His referenced studies don't support his claims.

You're fine.
    Serious question- Do you have links to studies that have debunked this? I haven't read the book, but have heard of bit about it and it makes sense for some people. Would like to read some scientific studies that have proven it to be untrue, if that is the case. And did it debunk everything that was claimed, or just certain parts?

http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.no/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html

http://www.weightymatters.ca/2013/02/diet-book-review-wheat-belly.html

Sorry, but I read both those articles and didn't find any scientific studies. They are simply blog postings of opinions of the book.
    Blogspot isn't a scientific source, and neither are book reviews.

Will continue reading thru the posts to see if anyone else has any scientific studies to share.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Wheat belly has been dubunked and is ridiculous. He clearly misquoted and falsified the information presented. His referenced studies don't support his claims.

You're fine.
    Serious question- Do you have links to studies that have debunked this? I haven't read the book, but have heard of bit about it and it makes sense for some people. Would like to read some scientific studies that have proven it to be untrue, if that is the case. And did it debunk everything that was claimed, or just certain parts?

Just think about it for a minute. This whole low carb thing started just recently. There have been, and are, a lot of fit low bodyfat people who eat tons of carbs. Most people who are fit and low bodyfat eat lots of carbs. Pro athletes all eat tons of carbs; they couldn't perform if they didn't.

Actually, low carb diets have been around since the 1800s. William Banting was around way before Atkins was.

OP- I eat over 200 carbs a day on average and have a flat stomach. I ate high amounts of carbs while losing weight and I eat high amounts of carbs now in maintenance.
  • jigglyone
    jigglyone Posts: 410 Member

You're fine.

Just think about it for a minute. This whole low carb thing started just recently. There have been, and are, a lot of fit low bodyfat people who eat tons of carbs. Most people who are fit and low bodyfat eat lots of carbs. Pro athletes all eat tons of carbs; they couldn't perform if they didn't.

Actually, low carb diets have been around since the 1800s. William Banting was around way before Atkins was.

OP- I eat over 200 carbs a day on average and have a flat stomach. I ate high amounts of carbs while losing weight and I eat high amounts of carbs now in maintenance.

wow! thanks so much!
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    According to MFP this morning.....i have 317carbs to eat today. .... and im going to enjoy every single one!!!!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member

You're fine.

http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.no/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html

http://www.weightymatters.ca/2013/02/diet-book-review-wheat-belly.html

Sorry, but I read both those articles and didn't find any scientific studies. They are simply blog postings of opinions of the book.
    Blogspot isn't a scientific source, and neither are book reviews.

Will continue reading thru the posts to see if anyone else has any scientific studies to share.

Read the studies referenced in Wheat Belly itself. You'll see they do not, at all, support his opinion. In fact he clearly misquotes them and draws conclusions from them that aren't even mention or are directly opposite of the studies themselves.

He supposedly backs up this claim in the very next sentence by continuing, "A Mayo Clinic/University of Iowa study of 215 obese celiac patients showed 27.5 pounds of weight loss in the first six months of a wheat-free diet." Sounds pretty impressive and compelling ... until you realize he's wrong.

First of all, the study didn't examine 215 obese patients. Body Mass Index for study participants ranged from underweight to normal to overweight to obese. Secondly, only 25 of those 215 patients lost weight, and the weight loss was not restricted to the obese subset of participants. (Further, 91 of the 215 patients gained weight, but I'll return to the issue of weight gain among obese celiacs in a moment.)

Read the full study here:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/4/669.full

Here Davis invokes a study reported in the American Journal of Gastroenterology. He claims that of newly diagnosed celiac disease patients, 39 percent start overweight and 13 percent start obese. Next Davis writes that "by this estimate, more than half the people now diagnosed with celiac disease are therefore overweight or obese."

Not quite. Actually, the study noted that overweight and obese patients together accounted for 39 percent of diagnoses. The 13 percent obese patients were a subset of the overweight group. By Davis' questionable math, underweight, normal weight, overweight, and obese celiac disease patients would account for 114% of diagnoses, which is impossible.

The same study from which he errantly claimed more than half of newly diagnosed celiacs are overweight? Here is what researchers actually found, and I quote directly: "Of patients compliant with a gluten-free diet, 81 percent had gained weight after 2 years, including 82% of initially overweight patients"

Here's the full study:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17032202

Davis makes the claim that gluten exorphins are addictive like morphine (another opiate), and that those addictive properties cause you to eat more calories and gain weight. As the theory goes, block the gluten exorphins with naloxone, and you block the addictive properties of wheat-based foods. To back up his boast, he then cites a study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, in which binge eaters were left in a room filled with a variety of foods for one hour. Davis writes "participants consumed 28 percent less wheat crackers, bread sticks, and pretzels with the administration of naloxone." And there you have it! See? Naloxone blocked the evil action of gluten exorphins, and those binge eaters ate fewer calories as a result! Except that's not what happened.

Here's the truth: While naloxone appeared to have an impact on the consumption of high fat and high sugar foods, it had no effect that correlated with gluten. In fact, while Davis claims that participants consumed 28 percent fewer wheat crackers, bread sticks, and pretzels, they actually consumed 40 percent more gluten-containing bread sticks.

Full study here:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/61/6/1206.full.pdf

Happy?

Even his referenced studies don't even support his claims. He merely relied upon the fact most people see "Written by M.D." and it has sources cited, they never review them for themselves.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    The only carb associated with belly fat is alcohol. The liver prefers to store the excess calories from it in your abdominal fat. I couldn't find the study, but I found this quote. "In general, alcohol intake is associated with bigger waists, because when you drink alcohol, the liver burns alcohol instead of fat," says Michael Jensen, MD, an endocrine expert and obesity researcher with the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. ( http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-truth-about-beer-and-your-belly )

There is no way to burn fat in one area, like your belly. The amount of carbs you eat doesn't determine fat. Calorie surplus is what causes fat. You can eat 0 carbs and still gain fat if you eat more calories than you burn.

Some people find reducing carbs, or eating carbs with a lower Glycemic Index, helps them control how many calories they eat. If that works for you, great; use it as a tool and realize that's all it is. Carbs are not good or bad, they're just a macro that gives you energy. I find it easier to control my calories when I eat less higher GI foods. I still eat them, I just plan for how I will deal with the blood sugar crash a few hours later so I can stay within my calorie limit for the day/week.

You are very wrong. there is no storage for alcohol calories.
  • DatMurse

Even his referenced studies don't even support his claims. He merely relied upon the fact most people see "Written by M.D." and it has sources cited, they never review them for themselves.

Kind of like the china study lol
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    The only carb associated with belly fat is alcohol. The liver prefers to store the excess calories from it in your abdominal fat. I couldn't find the study, but I found this quote. "In general, alcohol intake is associated with bigger waists, because when you drink alcohol, the liver burns alcohol instead of fat," says Michael Jensen, MD, an endocrine expert and obesity researcher with the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. ( http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-truth-about-beer-and-your-belly )

There is no way to burn fat in one area, like your belly. The amount of carbs you eat doesn't determine fat. Calorie surplus is what causes fat. You can eat 0 carbs and still gain fat if you eat more calories than you burn.

Some people find reducing carbs, or eating carbs with a lower Glycemic Index, helps them control how many calories they eat. If that works for you, great; use it as a tool and realize that's all it is. Carbs are not good or bad, they're just a macro that gives you energy. I find it easier to control my calories when I eat less higher GI foods. I still eat them, I just plan for how I will deal with the blood sugar crash a few hours later so I can stay within my calorie limit for the day/week.

Yes--there are many people who find that they can control their blood sugar much better if they don't have a high percentage of their calories in carbohydrates.
  • Ithina1
    Ithina1 Posts: 93 Member

Good to know the 100 or so calorie in a shot of vodka don't need to be tracked because they're not absorbed. Oh wait, they are. Alcohol is a type of sugar broken down and processed by the liver. Ethanol (alcohol) is oxidized to acetaldehyde by liver enzymes and then it enters the citric acid cycle to be metabolized. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kreb_cycle
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member

Good to know the 100 or so calorie in a shot of vodka don't need to be tracked because they're not absorbed. Oh wait, they are. Alcohol is a type of sugar broken down and processed by the liver. Ethanol (alcohol) is oxidized to acetaldehyde by liver enzymes and then it enters the citric acid cycle to be metabolized. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kreb_cycle

Yes, they go to a place called "boozeland". It's probably where all the extra calories go for special snowflakes too. How magical
  • DatMurse

Yea because alcohol is a carbohydrate. BECAUSE ALCOHOL CAN BE STORED BY THE BODY?
    NO it can't, you have no idea what you are talking about and linking the krebs cycle for what?

Alcohol is not a nutrient. Carbohydrates are nutrients

Alcohol must be metabolized. it cannot be stored for later usage. You do not get sober until it is metabolized out of your system.

Why in the world would you call alcohol a carbohydrate? Sounds like you are making a judgement off of people saying beer is liquid bread or some garbage.

Alcohol slows the oxidation of all of the other sources of energy until it is out of the system.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html

Please get your facts straight before you make yourself look foolish

The metabolism of alcohol National institute of health with references, NOT WIKI
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3484320/
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Yes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

Yes, they go to a place called "boozeland". It's probably where all the extra calories go for special snowflakes too. How magical

Alcohol must be metabolized by the body immediately...alcohol cannot be stored by the body as fat...that energy has to be used immediately. While your body is busy doing that, it can't metabolize other nutrients or oxidize fat though.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    how booze was explained to me say your a "fire"(dude*et) and you drink some "shine"(gas) and you eat some "pork rinds"(white oak), your body will burn the "magic" that the "shine" is entirely comprized of befor it will burn the "pork rinds"... also pouring gas on bacon is bad and will get you slaped by your fellow campers
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member

ABS-so-lutely. Anyone that tells you different is just plain wrong.
  • jigglyone
    jigglyone Posts: 410 Member

ABS-so-lutely. Anyone that tells you different is just plain wrong.

lol :) thanks!
  • Ithina1
    Ithina1 Posts: 93 Member
    Yea because alcohol is a carbohydrate. BECAUSE ALCOHOL CAN BE STORED BY THE BODY?
    NO it can't, you have no idea what you are talking about and linking the krebs cycle for what?
    I said it is like a carbohydrate. They are different. Carbs have 4 calories per gram, ethanol has 7. Ethanol is metabolized in a similar manner to fructose. I linked to the citric acid cycle as a quick way to reference that some of the alcohol is metabolized into glucose. Obviously you missed the reference.

If something has calories and we are able to metabolize those calories, then it is possible to store them. Clearly they're not stored in their original form, but in a form we're actually able to store.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    You can't target any particular area through diet or exercise. You just need to eat at a deficit and you will lose fat from all over your body, not just your stomach.

I personally love carbs, and fat and protein. I haven't had trouble losing weight, while eating anything I want, as long as I'm at a deficit. Carbs usually make up about 50% of my calorie intake.

I'm glad it's working out for you. It should be noted that you are 22 years old. Older individuals may have different weight loss parameters.

I am 47. I eat a TON of carbs and I have lost 10 inches in my waist and 8 inches in my hips since I started counting my calories and logging at the end of May 2013.
  • DatMurse
    I said it is like a carbohydrate. They are different. Carbs have 4 calories per gram, ethanol has 7. Ethanol is metabolized in a similar manner to fructose. I linked to the citric acid cycle as a quick way to reference that some of the alcohol is metabolized into glucose. Obviously you missed the reference.

If something has calories and we are able to metabolize those calories, then it is possible to store them. Clearly they're not stored in their original form, but in a form we're actually able to store.

What form is it stored in? how is alcohol converted to being able to be stored?
    On top of all of this. You seem to be referencing the same concept of fructose as lustig, who is a joke
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Yes.

TQT9GLi.jpg?1

I eat lots of carbs.