I'm amazed 45 pounds down and I still feel just as fat

Options

Replies

• odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. Literally every person that has seen me since last year remarks that I'm getting "too skinny" but all I see when I look in the mirror is the same fat kid I've always been. I still see my belly and though everything is definitely smaller, I still see it all.

I don't know if it ever goes away. I've read people on here who have lost over 100 pounds and they still see themselves how they used to be. It just takes time, literal years. Just focus on your progress and remember that you're awesome simply because you're you.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Look down at my counter... I still see the fat girl, and I'm down to a size 2.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is such a mental battle... I've just started to realize that I look much better and it's been 3 yrs in the making! Just keep up the good work and your mind will eventually catch up! I agree with the picture thing... I saw some pictures of me recently from 2008 and was like 'Wow! Do I look different now?'
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean!! At my kickboxing classes when I am skipping I can see all of my fat bounce up and down... it disgusts me! But you have to turn this disgust into positive energy and just work harder :) Measurements help me... When I put that measuring tape around my waist and it is 2 or 3 inches smaller than when I started I can't believe it and it makes me feel better.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. But you are now at the point where someone is going to be commenting on your weight loss every 10 lbs. 10 lbs goes at lot further the lower you get. I do agree though, that feeling better, and better overall health is the ultimate goal. Looking great is just a wonderful side effect. All your efforts are well worth it. You're doing great.
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Definitely can relate. I have only lost 23 pounds so far, so maybe there ISN'T a big difference, but when I look in the mirror, I see the same thing as when I started this. I know I have dropped a size in jeans, and am about to drop another, but....I still think I look the same.

Something happened last night though that caught me off guard. A friend took a picture of me without my being aware (we were having a sing along with friends lol) and she posted it on FaceBook without me knowing. Well, I came across it later and for the first time in a long long time, I thought I looked more like a "normal" person than a "fat girl". Still have a looong way to go, but I do think our heads will catch up with what our bodies are really starting to look like. Keep it up!!!

:flowerforyou:

This. A thousand times over. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Also, thanks Alienrite for the gem about keeping a pair of pants from one's heaviest weight. Never would have thought of that. It's brilliant!!
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    nahhh your not whacked, 160lbs here and I didn't really notice a thing untill about 100lbs in. The clothes getting smaller wasn't really enough for me cause I still wore them it was just a bit baggy. Its when I started to get compliments and I changed my entire wardrobe I began to notice and liked it so much I couldn't stop. So I would say keep at it, your eyes will play tricks on you because even though there is a loss its still not the reflection you desire so you see nothing. Just keep at it and dont stop!!!

Cheers,

Tof
  • meinola
    meinola Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way. I have lost almost 50 lbs (49.6) and I am still wearing size 12 pants (getting looser), when I started out in (an admittedly tight) size 16. That lower belly pooch hasn't caught up with the rest of my body's weight loss. Granted, I am ECSTATIC to have shirts button over my chest with ease and having to wear belts to keep my jeans up, but I still see that belly and feel like I haven't lost anything. Last weekend I saw a friend who hasn't seen me since I started losing back in July, and he couldn't stop saying that I looked great. I know other people see it, I just haven't quite gotten there yet. :(
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Find an activity, that you were having problems with before. Maybe a flight of stairs that kicked your *kitten* all the time. Try it now, revel in the EASE of taking that flight of stairs or find a chair with arms you were unwilling/unable to squeeze in before and know how much you've changed.

That will help you even more than pictures, belt holes, or numbers on a scale.

The day before I joined this site, I went to a Patriots game and getting to my seats on the top level of the Stadium made me want to die. Just walking up ramps. This past July I ran a 10K that ended in Gillette Stadium and I ran the @#$% out of those ramps before coming out of the giant inflatable Patriots helmet and across the the 50 yard line to finish the race. I cannot convey the feeling of TRIMUPH I felt.

This past september I did the electric run at Gillette and I didn't know we'd have to finish in the stadium running the ramps but I was hollering and whooping the entire time and the people around me must have thought I was out of my flipping mind.

Now THAT is inspirational!

Thanks! I will be doing that race every year (It's always on July 3rd) until I die or can't manage to run for whatever reason...
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I think our minds hold us hostage... So think about it in reverse... Over the past 4 years I have gained 65lbs... I looked at myself in the mirror every day but NEVER saw the heavier and heavier me. I still saw the skinner me even though I had to buy bigger clothes was losing energy and tired all the time and getting depressed I was still that skinner me?? It wasn't until one day I saw a picture of myself I literally had to look twice at is it because I truly didn't know that was me I thought it was someone else??? It was my husband in the picture but who was that women with him??? I was FLOORED!! I think our minds reflect what we feel based on our self esteem and not the actual image. Weight Loss/Gain is emotional not just physical. I truly believed I was still skinny so my mind just agreed .... You are losing weight, the scale, your clothes, your energy levels and appearance all know you have lost the weight but you still see yourself as the fat girl. The struggle is with your mind, once you start feeling better about yourself you too will begin to see the amazing deserving women who conquered 45lbs. You got this!!!
  • CHRISTTY33
    Options
    I think everyone has fat days/ skinny days. It takes a long time to get over the mental damage as much as the physical damage. I looked at myself every day in the mirror and talked down to that image and I know that does effect a person just as much as someone else saying nasty things. I would recommend really focusing on each of the positives that you've accomplished. Tell yourself you're doing great, look great, and are getting better each day. :)

So true our mental outlook has ALOT to do with what you see and how you feel...it takes time to realize hey, I lost weight and I accomplished a lot especially if u don't get much support from family and friends its easy to stall in the fat state of mind.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. It takes a long time for the brain to catch up to the body. Until that happens I will keep doing what i'm doing and try to stop the negative self talk until my stupid brain catches up :)
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Lost nearly 100 in total, Half of that on here since logging and I still feel fat. You will never be happy tbh even when it's nearly all gone. I suppose if you have been fat most of your life and unhappy for most of that time with being fat then mentally it's going to be tough to accept you might be just carrying a few extra pounds rather than being obese so you will always see yourself as fat.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I can pick out individual differences. My face is definitely thinner. My clothes are smaller. I have some great muscles going on underneath it all. I can feel my ribs without any effort but even with all that, when I look at myself and get the full picture, I don't feel any different.

It seems pretty whacked in my head.

Granted, at 197, I still am obese, I still have a ways to go but I feel like I should feel different.

So the game plan, keep working, keep pushing, keep on keeping on and hopefully my head can catch up with the changes in my body. Anyone else experience this?

It's because you're still you. Just a smaller version of you.
  • Kris_Marx
    Options
    I can pick out individual differences. My face is definitely thinner. My clothes are smaller. I have some great muscles going on underneath it all. I can feel my ribs without any effort but even with all that, when I look at myself and get the full picture, I don't feel any different.

Granted, at 197, I still am obese, I still have a ways to go but I feel like I should feel different.

So the game plan, keep working, keep pushing, keep on keeping on and hopefully my head can catch up with the changes in my body. Anyone else experience this?

same here!! 30lbs down, but I still have a long way to go, and I cant see or feel changes.
  • msfitmom_3
    msfitmom_3 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

I am feeling the EXACT same way... I went from 183lbs down to 133lbs -> Was SOOOOOO EXCITED to have lost 50lbs... but then looking in the mirror I still felt really fat. I got really down on myself and "gave up" -- gained back about 10lbs... I am trying to get those 10lbs off. I am now 3.8lbs away from being back at my 50lbs weight loss mark. Its very frustrating because I know I have lost a huge amount of weight and feel so much better than I did -- but I still look at myself and feel fat or "thicker" than ever. Why is that?? It's very hard to keep motivated too... But I am vowing to work my butt off - I'm not falling off that stinking horse again! I do not ever want to see those numbers again... I am exactly where I should be in my height/weight range for a healthy BMI.
  • weali
    weali Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I read an article where the person had dropped a good deal of weight (100+ pounds). Pretty much the whole article was about how with a lifestyle change and the results you have to focus not just on the physical but also work on the mental aspect of your new life.
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 130 pounds and sometimes feel like that. What I suggest is keeping so e of your bigger clothes and trying them on to physically show you how far you've come.

I think this is a great idea! more fun than even just pics!!
  • lynnkieu
    lynnkieu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have had days where I have felt like that but the thing that has helped me the most are my weekly pictures. Every Monday I weigh in and I take a picture of myself in the mirror. Whenever I am doubting about there being a significant visual difference, I open up my phone and compare the first picture I took back in May 2013, with my most current one. That's when it comes together and I pat myself on the head and tell myself "Good Job, it's working".
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I think most people suffer from at least mild body dis-morphia. There are days when I get changed 6 or 7 times because I feel uncomfortable in my skin. This may not help but at least you know you're not alone!