I'm amazed 45 pounds down and I still feel just as fat

Options
1235»

Replies

• bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have had days where I have felt like that but the thing that has helped me the most are my weekly pictures. Every Monday I weigh in and I take a picture of myself in the mirror. Whenever I am doubting about there being a significant visual difference, I open up my phone and compare the first picture I took back in May 2013, with my most current one. That's when it comes together and I pat myself on the head and tell myself "Good Job, it's working".

I did something similar to this - I have taken "progress" pics every 1-2 months (my profile pic is the most recent one). I do one picture in sporty underwear and one in "feel good" underwear and compare my progress over the long game. This really helps me see the changes.
  • lilymae71
    lilymae71 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I don't usually take part on the forum here but I wanted to commend you for keeping at it. You've done a LOT of good. As a lifetimer from WW since 1985, I've heard a lot of stories, whether up or down, and I can say the first 10% that you get off makes probably the biggest difference in *health.* A lot of people can't see that but if they started out with solid stats like blood sugar or BP, cholesterol info or how they took meds, it's a really big change that happens right there -- for everybody (with those specifics to go by). But if you didn't have them, I can see where you don't feel that different.

I'm assuming that you have lost more than 10%, so you've already passed this point!

It's a drag to not have that celebration but getting smaller is ... fun! If you don't already, I strongly suggest taking tape measurements. The scale is so easy and quick for feedback but it's crappy feedback. It's not telling you about your blood sugars or cholesterol. Tape measures don't either but I'd rather be tinier and heavier than fluffier and lighter any day.

And I mean that.

I've weighed the same at a size 4 or a size 10 that I couldn't button, same brand. Same weight. I also really like that my cholesterol was excellent :D

It's really worth it for your health. Also, I think most women have a little body dysmorphia going on -- I do. It may be worth looking into because understanding it's an issue is one thing. Working on it is another. I've worked on it and it still affects me but I can look back at it and go, 'Okay. This is my brain not being helpful here.' Rather than continue bashing myself.
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    I can relate and I actually get confirmation at work that my 26 pounds lost is noticeable but I still see the fat girl in the mirror. I'm not taking note of the changes in my hips, my legs, even my stomach but rather I focus on how my arms haven't changed much despite my hard work on them. I can even see the "guns" I'm getting but still see too much flab.

I'd lost 50 pounds over 5 years ago and know that my mind did start to catch up with my body. Unfortunately, I gained it back, plus a little. I'm back down 26 of those. :smile: I'd also suggest doing what I just recently started tracking, take your measurements. Hard numbers and seeing them go down helps get the mind in line with the changes of your body.

You can do it! Keep working hard, keep losing and you'll reach your goal. Your mind will catch up to you.
  • silkyb1
    silkyb1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I use to be some years ago 240 lbs and it can be hard to see your self skinner you still have that mind set. Just keep up the good work. I have a ? I'm 210 now i have gain 30 lbs since last summer. How did you start losing your weight i have a terrible time writing things down.
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like this, I look through my old pictures on my facebook profile and realize when I compare myself now to me in those old photos, I look good! Granted I have a long way to go yet but still, I've come so far from the old me.
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yep, I can relate. From what I read, it's pretty common, too. I'm almost at goal and sometimes I'll see a morbidly obese woman and feel like I still look like that. My head is slowly catching up though. The problem is that, neurologically, our brains still perceive us at our usual size, and it takes a while for it to rewire and adjust to the new size.

Also, If you have excess skin, like me, and maybe a post-baby pooch that just won't budge, it makes it harder to see yourself as thinner. One thing I've found that helps is shapewear to hold in and smooth out all of that. I get corset style under-the-bra vests that you have to fasten all the way down your tummy with hook and eye closures. They are hard to put on at first, but they stretch a little and you get used to it quickly, and they cinch the waist and let your hips out a little to give an hourglass appearance. The other shapewear flattens the hips, IMO, and I don't like the way they look.

I feel like I look much better and thinner in them, and they help my posture and perk up my chest some too. They should be difficult to squeeze on but not roll up, by the way. That means you've got the right size.

They're hard to find, unfortunately. I tried online but they are expensive. I've found mine at various discount stores, like Burlington coat factory outlet, and I have to dig, dig, dig through thousands of pieces of lingerie and shapewear!

Anyway, hope that helps.
  • rrosborne88
    Options
    I can definetly relate! I have lost 17lbs. I feel like an over weight whale today. I looked in the mirror, my pants fit that didn't before and my shirt is baggy on me. But that doesn't mean anything to my brain. I feel like i haven't lost any weight.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the thoughtful and insightful replies.

Just got back from work and I had a good experience of seeing myself in a floor length mirror and at that moment, I could really see the difference. I realize that loving the person I'm becoming is part of this, so I'll keep working on that too. In the meantime, I'll pick out today's workout, plan out a healthy dinner and enjoy the rest of the day. :) Thanks again.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    My head isn't caught up to my loss often either. I'm down 155 now too.
    Idk if anyone mentioned it but let the tape measure be your friend! By
    keeping track of those digits rather than the scale .? your mind might
    have an easier transition into excepting your accomplishment!
    Keep doing great .. your body is happier! :)
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    At times my head still sees me not only at my heaviest but heavier. At other times it sees me as a heavy but not the fattest person around. At still other times I actually feel cute and sassy. Part of it is what tape is playing in my head and as well as the clothes I am wearing. I know this sounds vain but so be it, I have found when I am wearing clothes that are too big or not flattering I feel fatter that when I am wearing clothes that are fitting properly and are flattering.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I totally agree with the two posters who mentioned that they didn't "see" their weight gain, either. And I think there must be truth in the comment that you tend to see yourself at your "usual size".

The summer/fall of 2007 I was at my usual size of about 265 lb. Comfortable in a size 22, sometimes able to fit into a 20. That December I started a new and extremely stressful job, had a lot more extra cash, and went out to lunch and dinner and sometimes breakfast - all of the time. By the middle of 2008, I thought my jeans were shrinking in the wash (seriously) and I took a bunch of selfies and I still looked the same as always, if not leaner - in the face. Somehow I totally ignored the fact that all of my fall clothes were 24's and up, nothing below a 3X.

Nov 2008 I saw myself in photos at a work banquet and I was positively shocked and horrified. I had all of these rolls. I had a double chin. I looked so gross sitting in a chair in the photos! WTF!? I weighed 307, my all-time high. Somehow I never even noticed a >40 lb weight gain in under 1 year.