Motivation in the cold northern states

Options
The cold and dark have settled over Minnesota and it's affecting my plan. I don't like to walk in the dark - and I mean it's DAAARK! And the cold revs up my cravings for carbs.

How do others in cold northern climates stay on plan?

A few caveats:
Please do NOT judge me by my diary of late. It's not typical. See the first paragraph.
I'm 95%+ wheat free on the advice of my doctor.
I don't mind bundling up for a walk as long as it's light out, even an overcast day, but I work full time!
I take 5000 IU's of Vitamin D each day
My almost daily smoothie is a mix of fruit, spinach, unsweetened almond milk and flax seed - not a sugary commercial drink.
I do not wish to join a gym - my budget is just too tight.
Yes, I do DVD's at home occasionally.
Unless you live in a dark cold winter climate like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Maine, Canada, etc it's very hard to understand this.

Replies

• bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I can definately understand as I live in Alaska. I take a break in the middle of the day and take a walk, if the wind isn't blowing. An alternative is to go walking at the mall. Get some window shopping and people watching done in the comfort of heat. :)
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It was 23 degrees and dark and foggy when I went running this morning. You just have to DO it. Get up, get dressed and head out the door before you have time to talk yourself out of it.
  • Renee_Elizabeth
    Options
    I live in Maine and am feeling the same way! I hate being cold! In the summer I am outside all day long and feel amazing. I have access to a weight room and have been doing circuits there. Many nights all I want to do is cuddle up by the fire and take a nap! The thing that consistently works for me is to find a group to workout with. Then, when I don't want to I know they are waiting!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I am in WI and i usually lose more in the winter just because there is not a lot to do in the evening for me so i work out.

I have a treadmill, exercise bike and elliptical along with many dvd's. I also walk on my lunchtime (i bring my shoes, scarf, mittens, etc) if it is not raining or snowing.

I do have to make sure my eating is on track and for me it helps to work out after supper so i don't snack as much.
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I don't live in the dark cold winter climate as you say, but why not try some body weight or strength training exercises at home? Nerdfitness has a few workout ideas that are completely free. Then you can get your exercise in, AND stay indoors where it would be safe and warm.

Here is a link to the beginner's body weight workout

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Do you have a UV/sun light? I find that sitting under that like a lizard helps me stay warm enough to cut the carb craving and helps my energy levels. I've even gotten to the point where if my SAD is really bad, I'll sit in a tanning bed for 10 minutes or so, just to warm up (I don't burn, so this isn't the worst option for me).

Are you able to walk during lunches and eat later? It might be a way of getting your walk in while it's still light.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    photo.jpg
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am in northwestern canada and I am the type that hates the cold and it seems winter has already set in so leaving my house is even a task for me let alone a walk!!!! I walk a lot during the summer, spring and fall and up my in home workouts during the winter. I have a catalogue of over 60 workout dvd's, bands, weights and an elliptical so there is no need to leave the house unless absolutely necessary. Of course here are certain winter activities I enjoy like cross country skiing, snow shoeing and tobogganing as well as skating but as I get older these don't happen as often. Looking forward for when my daughter gets to an age when we can do that stuff together!
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Canada here! I definitely understand where you're coming from. I'm lucky because I can do laps at work in our shop. I do that three days a week (I work from home on the other two days). I do walk outside once and awhile but I can't stand it if my face and ears get cold, instant headache. As for food, yes, we're coming into soup, stew and pasta season! I have soup everyday for lunch, which I've found to be very filling and low calorie. Last night I made spaghetti sauce and turkey meatballs and instead of pasta I put it on Spaghetti squash.

I really do hate winter and this is definitely the time of year where I put on weight. Aren't we suppose to hibernate this time of year?? :-)
  • CaraLeighD
    Options
    I've been having the same issue and I live in Wisconsin! I've found, though, that in the winter it helps me to exercise more portion control and if I'm having carbohydrates, that they be coming from fruit and veggies. I try to walk during my lunch breaks and am always active in the evenings when I get home (go for a walk, do an exercise DVD, or even just CLEAN), and that helps too.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I am glad with the time change I can walk in the light at 6 am. I plan to keep walking outside as long as I can but we don't have sidewalks and it gets dangerous once there is snow on the road. I bought a small pedal machine and have my WII for when I can't make it out any more. I will still probably pull on the snow boots and walk around my property. Mall walking is another alternative if you are lucky enough to have one that is close by.
  • kgerm317
    kgerm317 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm in Maine and training for a 5K on January 1st. I'm fortunate enough to have a job where I can use my 30 minute lunch break to walk or run while it's still light out. My current schedule for exercise is:
    Mon + Wed- I get up early and do a 30 minute belly buster routine and I walk 1 mile at lunch
    Tue + Thu- I get up early and do 30 minutes of yoga and run 2 miles at lunch
    Fri- I get up early and do 30 minute belly buster routine
    Sat- I go for a longer 3-4 mile run around 10:30ish (when it's warmer)
    Sun- I rest.

I am also doing a 30 Day "Little Black Dress Challenge" so I incorporate those exercises into my day.

I also cannot afford a gym membership as I am a single mom to twin 7 year olds. I often go onto youtube to find in-home workouts to do. The best advice I can give you is to get up early and do something in your home. It certainly makes you feel good to start your day off with activity AND you don't have to worry about whether it's cold or dark outside.
  • Daveb1355
    Daveb1355 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I live in Michigan, and it's pretty much dark by 5:15 now, but the days are still getting shorter! I totally understand you.

It's not quite as cold here as it is there, but I just bundle up. Get a baklava and some good gloves at a running store. As long as it isn't too far below zero with the wind chill, I still walk outside. My plan for this December is to hit some neighborhoods that have a lot of Christmas lights up, and walk those. See the sights, make it an event sort of thing.

I really don't like getting in the car to drive off someplace to walk! It sort of ruins the simplicity of just heading out the front door.

My other tip would be to get a good pedometer like a fitbit. Then try to get in a bunch of extra steps in your day. Park at the far end of the parking lot, just work a lot of extra steps into your day. Then there is not a big push to get out for a long (cold) walk!

And tell yourself you are burning all those extra calories trying to stay warm and trudge through the snow!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Mall walking, home dvd's - there are so many you won't ever be bored...Walking during lunch time - I do 3-4km's most days, (bundled up in layers and with an umbrella) then go home and do weights/P90X/Chalean Xtreme/treadmill HIIT or plain old bodyweight stuff in the living room or basement...If you prefer cardio - Zumba, dancing, and loads other cardio stuff on dvd or free on youtube....
    NO Excuses....
  • funnygirlt
    funnygirlt Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    As someone who lives in Wisconsin, let me just say that I feel your pain! It snowed here this week, and since it gets dark around 4 or 4:30, walking outside in the windy dark cold air is hardly a fun time. I am not looking forward to a very long, long winter...feel free to add me to your friend list..I am following much the same diet as you are, and had a knee injury in August that is still slowly healing...

stay warm !! terri
  • fleetwood1
    fleetwood1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I live in MN as well. During the winter season, I normally do a combination of exercises though out the entire day if I am not working out to DVDs. Take small walks, do floor/standing exercises, incorporate free weights, dance around the house and go up/down at the stairs at home.

I know...winters can get long in MN. I just try to change things up and keep moving :)
  • cjcolorado
    cjcolorado Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm just a bit northeast of you in the U.P. of MI. Typically, I bundle up to run outside a bit when it's cold, but before the snow hits. Then, when it gets icy, I do more treadmill work. To mix it up, in the past I have done a variety of DVDs indoors (Jillian Michael's, P90X, or power yoga). When the snow is on the ground and the trails are groomed, I XC ski regularly for cardio work. This year, I've joined a CrossFit gym, which has really kept me motivated on a daily basis far better than anything else has in the past. I typically hit the doldrums after a long summer of running and racing, then get squishy over the winter with intermittent workouts and skiing. I hope to do differently this year! (Oh, and to combat the gray, dreary days of little light, I got a "happy light" UV light that I use for about half an hour each day while working from home.)
    I hope you can find something to keep you moving and happy during these long, dark months!
  • LilBritGettinFit
    LilBritGettinFit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This is exactly where I am at right now. I work in Duluth so I am able to take advantage of the skywalk system. 45 minute walk and some days I go down and up every set of stairs I encounter. But, I haven't been going to Curves lately and I plan to put in my Jillian DVD a few times a week but I just like to snuggle up with a fleece blanket on the couch these days. And yes, I have been having some issues keeping within my calories and nailing my macros. So, I have a calendar that I 'plan' out work outs and I may stray from them but I try to do something for at least 30 minutes almost every day, I prelog my food and try really hard to stick with what I chose and I need to just suck it up and get back into my routine and quit being lazy! I think it comes down to just doing it; kicking and screaming!
  • jaimie120
    jaimie120 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Cold, dark, drap and depressing. I am from Central Alberta and it is Cold most of the time. We have winter for 6-8 months of the year. I have learned to find the fun in winter. Free things to do are, tobogganing, outdoor skating, and snow shovelling. Not free but cheap, indoor skating &skiing at small ski hills. There is snowman building, snowball fights and snow- ball (baseball or football in the snow). I try to get outside everyday to enjoy some fresh air, sometimes the only thing I enjoy is getting back into my warm house. I have a walking partner for the dark evenings, also many fitness centres or hockey rinks have a fee to use indoor walking tracks (in my community it is $20 per year I think). Some people have mentioned DVD's, I have never used one but I think they work from the results I see on here. I have some 8lb weights that I do some arm exercises with, I run on the spot, jumping jacks, jump squats, mountain climbers, burpees, push ups, sit ups, crunches and more with no equipment at all. I hope this helps and good luck in your quest to find the fun.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I live in Northern-most Vermont. It IS cold here but, like some else stated, I just GO. I run or walk and just bundle up. Being we are away from the city here, wildlife is a concern as is the darkness. I make sure to bundle up, wear reflective clothing, take my cellphone(in an armband), and take a flashlight ( I have "knuckle-lights" that strap on my fingers with elastic so i don't have to carry something when i run). Barring that, I do Turbo Fire if its REALLY late. It really, to me, doesn't matter WHAT I do AS LONG as i do something every day.

Youtube has a lot of free fitness videos and there are other free workout sites as well ( I like bodyrocktv.com a lot) that can be mixed up for some variety :bigsmile:

I, too, find that my carb cravings increase in the cold months. I just increase my protein and water. IF i end up giving in to the cravings, it is literally a couple bites ONLY unless they are planned in with a healthy meal. :smile:

You can do it - it just comes down to how important is sticking to your program to YOU. :flowerforyou: