Thanksgiving...?

Options
13»

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    As long as I've met my goal by then (should be no problem), I'm going to eat all the things until I have to roll away from the table. Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite holiday; I spend the whole day cooking with my best friend and her family while our kids play, and we make some amazing stuff. It's one day. I don't care if I don't lose that day or even (gasp) gain a tiny bit -- I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Me personally? Going to eat what I want, as much as I want, starting the evening of Thanksgiving and through either that Friday or Saturday.

But I really think every person needs to do what's best for them. If you honestly know you're in a weak place and overindulging on Thanksgiving, or indulging at all in foods that trigger you, could lead to trouble, then severely limit them or avoid them altogether.

I think some people who just tell you to eat in moderation, log, and move on don't' realize that a lot of people just aren't that strong yet, particularly during a socially sanctioned season of gluttony. For some people one Thanksgiving feast can lead to weeks of holiday stuffing, and quite a few additional pounds by the time the weeks long binge is finished.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Me personally? Going to eat what I want, as much as I want, starting the evening of Thanksgiving and through either that Friday or Saturday.

But I really think every person needs to do what's best for them. If you honestly know you're in a weak place, and overindulging on Thanksgiving, or indulging at all in foods that trigger you, then severely limit them or avoid them altogether.

I think some people who just tell you to eat in moderation, log, and move on don't' realize that a lot of people just aren't that strong yet. For some people on Thanksgiving feast can lead to weeks of holiday stuffing, and quite a few additional pounds by the time the weeks long binge is finished.

You said stuffing..... now I want stuffing.... :laugh:
  • tigerlily886
    tigerlily886 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Going all out. I just got back on the wagon, so I am trying to lose what I can now. It is just one day. I will do my best to eat more veggies, but I will never turn down mashed potatoes. If I have leftovers, I will keep on track with that food.
  • vvvalentines
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly what the plans are this year in my family, but if there's a big get-together I'm going to have a small portion of everything I want and volunteer to take home some leftovers (because there are always leftovers) so I can revisit my favorites later in the week. When I know I can look forward to the same foods again after a special occasion, I have an easier time not overeating at parties or family gatherings. It's a lot easier to say "no" to a second piece of pie or serving of stuffing when I'm not worried I'll have to wait a year before getting another chance to eat it!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

But I really think every person needs to do what's best for them. If you honestly know you're in a weak place, and overindulging on Thanksgiving, or indulging at all in foods that trigger you, then severely limit them or avoid them altogether.

I think some people who just tell you to eat in moderation, log, and move on don't' realize that a lot of people just aren't that strong yet. For some people on Thanksgiving feast can lead to weeks of holiday stuffing, and quite a few additional pounds by the time the weeks long binge is finished.

You said stuffing..... now I want stuffing.... :laugh:

Would you believe that when I typed it I literally said to myself "somebody's going to notice that I used the word stuffing in a post about Thanksgiving". :laugh:

And to think, we're not even having stuffing this year!
  • Bmoy87
    Bmoy87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm going to take off that week and make everyday a 2000 calorie diet except thanksgiving and I'm gonna crush some turkey and everything else! It only comes once a year and one mean won't make me gain back my 108 pounds. So enjoy the day and give thanks!!!
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Small portions of lots of awesome stuff, I think. I'm not logging that day, but if I eat *too* much I'll probably beat myself up over it :(
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    I'll probably at half way decent (because my mom is into healthy cooking); but the alcohol, plasterize me cap'n.... Mmmm.... Hangover deadlifts and hill sprints the next morning.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    What pray tell is "unhealthy" about any of the traditional Thanksgiving foods? Also, it is one day of many days of the rest of your life...I can assure you that I didn't get fat because of Thanksgiving or Christmas or someones birthday or the rando birthday party...I got fat because I ate like a big all of the time and didn't move. This isn't about what you do on occasion...it's an occasion...this process is about what you do most of the time, not 10% of the time.

I feel the same. Overall the Thanksgiving foods we eat at my house are pretty calorie friendly - other than the pie. And I definitely plan on having pie too! Just keep the celebration food to the day and not the entire season and it'll be fine!
  • montreal_wanderers
    Options
    What pray tell is "unhealthy" about any of the traditional Thanksgiving foods? Also, it is one day of many days of the rest of your life...I can assure you that I didn't get fat because of Thanksgiving or Christmas or someones birthday or the rando birthday party...I got fat because I ate like a big all of the time and didn't move. This isn't about what you do on occasion...it's an occasion...this process is about what you do most of the time, not 10% of the time.

I'm going to enjoy myself, just like I did last year...when, BTW I lost most of my weight between end of Sept and the New Year. I didn't hold back an eat only lettuce on Thanksgiving...I celebrated the holiday with my family and friends and enjoyed myself...did the same at Christmas and through the New Year. Again, it's one day...just don't treat the entire two months as a reason to stuff yourself and you'll be fine.

This is spot on. One day or one rough short-term period will not do significant damage. To add, one day out of the week I eat significantly more than maintenance and I do not wake up the next day 10 pounds heavier. Thanksgiving or a few days over the holidays will not do anyone much harm. I think a lot of people forget it takes 3500 calories to equal 1 pound of fat. So everyone, enjoy yourselves over Thanksgiving! : - )