Very serious wildlife question: beaver dams

Options
mister_universe
mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
Hi all.

In the south central area of my property, there's one lone tree that has been there for forty years or more, since well before I can remember, anyway. It's a good tree, solid and hearty, and since it's the only one on the property, I've cared for it carefully over the years. I've put a fair amount of time pruning it, keeping it disease free, and giving it the right kind of nutrients to grow up big and strong.

For many years there's been a small stream running through the property, and the tree derived a lot of moisture from the stream. Just recently, a small female beaver (near as I can tell it's just one) has taken up residence, building a dam that not only blocks the moisture that my tree would receive, but diverts it to a neighbor's property!

So what should I do about my beaver dam? I consider it mine, as it's on my property, but I'm afraid that if I just go out and destroy it that the beaver will be left homeless, and I've grown kind of fond of her even if she is a pain.

Thoughts?

Replies

• lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Contact your local wildlife conservation department for a possible relocation of the beaver. done.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Does the tree ever branch out? I mean sometimes those beavers chew on the roots, and you just can't have that. The tree may have to seek alternative sources of moisture. Most do eventually anyway. It just depends how long the tap root is, really.

HTH
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Can you divert the water back onto your property? I'd love to be able to keep both a great old tree and a beaver dam on my land.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    A man's propensity to grow fond of a beaver will always lead to the demise of his stout wood. It's just the way life is. Accept it.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Contact your local wildlife conservation department for a possible relocation of the beaver. done.
    tumblr_m85bw9fGtf1rqfhi2o1_500.gif
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Shoot it.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    A man's propensity to grow fond of a beaver will always lead to the demise of his stout wood. It's just the way life is. Accept it.

:):)
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Can you get dynamite?
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

So what should I do about my beaver dam? I consider it mine, as it's on my property, but I'm afraid that if I just go out and destroy it that the beaver will be left homeless, and I've grown kind of fond of her even if she is a pain.

Thoughts?

Beaver. Can't live with em, & can't live without em.
  • cedarblack
    cedarblack Posts: 63 Member
    Options

TRUTH
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Can you get dynamite?

Yeah, I thinking this needs to turn explosive.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I love to eat beaver.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I feel like this thread was specifically set up for this response. Well played. :drinker:
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Haha! Want me to ask my beaver trapper husband? He's a beaver expert. Loves going out beaver scouting and trapping with his buddies.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Beaver makes a fine hat.

Rigger
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

Confucius said that...he was a wise man. Never underestimate the power that beaver has over a man.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Haha! Want me to ask my beaver trapper husband? He's a beaver expert. Loves going out beaver scouting and trapping with his buddies.

Don't we all, don't we all.
  • sassyrayofsunshine
    sassyrayofsunshine Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Beaver makes a fine hat.

^this. wear it proudly :)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I hear beaver tail is delicious. Seriously. We are having the same problem on our property and they are tearing up the natural dam between our two ponds. The hubby plans on hunting it this weekend.