Deadlifts and Squats

Options
Hey.. So I tried searching this but couldn't find the exact issue.

So I've decided that I want to do strength training. I've been doing NROLFW for 3 weeks now and I love it.

Now... I've told my dad my plans to improve my strength and do the program and he is so dead set against me doing Deadlifts and Squats.
He seems convinced that it's going to destroy my hips and knees. He tells me that my grandfather (who was a trainer, lifter, and football player), had to get his hips and knees replaced because of years of Squats and Deadlifts and that I'm going to follow the same path if I do this.

He does approve of me weight training, he just wants me to pick different exercises....
I like that those exercises are supposed to be super effective, but I don't want to destroy my hips or knees either...

What do you guys think? Bad in the long run?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    just make sure you're using good form. get your form down before adding weight.

look up videos by mark rippetoe on form and practice practice. also if your gym has good trainers maybe find one to each you good form.
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    What? Deadlifts and squats are a girls best friend! Use good form, and you should be fine. You don't have to go crazy with the amount of weight.
  • SoccerGal1985
    Options
    I agree with the post about form.....I also think that the key word in the description of your grandfather should also be that he played football....and all the training that goes along with that...chances are it wasn't just the squats and dead lifts ;)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of this has to do with the amount and length of time your grandfather put a heavy toll on his body. My s/o was a college football player and can barely walk at 40 because he just played through hip injuries in his late teens and 20s. Hard to say.

Form is key. Get a trainer to check out your form. These are great exercises for major muscle groups and I don't think you should discard them on their face. You can even go lighter if it worries you. Perhaps your grandfather was a power lifter? Not sure. Even air (body weight squats) are better than no squats! :)
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    before I started on NROLW I booked a one off session with a personal trainer and went through all the exercises in sets A & B and worked out a sensible weight - and more importantly went over correct form. I have terrible problems with my knees and so I am building the weight up slowly to make sure I am not overloading too much - I am just heading into week 3 and so far so good.

I think getting the form right and not trying to go too heavy too soon is the best approach - but I am loving the squats, deadlifts and lunges - today it was set B and I managed to do some deadlifts at 50kg and a set of 12 lunges at 55kg (121lbs) and I am loving it - so I am looking forward to improving on that :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

So I've decided that I want to do strength training. I've been doing NROLFW for 3 weeks now and I love it.

Now... I've told my dad my plans to improve my strength and do the program and he is so dead set against me doing Deadlifts and Squats.
    He seems convinced that it's going to destroy my hips and knees. He tells me that my grandfather (who was a trainer, lifter, and football player), had to get his hips and knees replaced because of years of Squats and Deadlifts and that I'm going to follow the same path if I do this.

He does approve of me weight training, he just wants me to pick different exercises....
    I like that those exercises are supposed to be super effective, but I don't want to destroy my hips or knees either...

I think two things:

a) Crappy form effs you up. Whatever the lift. Learn the proper form and you'll be fine

and:

b) You're 24. Time to put your big girl pants on and make your own decisions.
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post about form.....I also think that the key word in the description of your grandfather should also be that he played football....and all the training that goes along with that...chances are it wasn't just the squats and dead lifts ;)

This! For sure. And/or bad form.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options

I think two things:

a) Crappy form effs you up. Whatever the lift. Learn the proper form and you'll be fine

and:

It's not about making my own decisions. I just said I've been doing the program for 3 weeks.
    I just wanted opinions on the risks.

Thank you everyone. I was thinking that perhaps it was more his lifestyle than the lifting that destroyed him... But I was really curious. I've seen the quote "Squats can be bad for you knees, but they're good for everything else". I get anxieties about these types of things :)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts and squats, when done with proper form, are very safe exercises. Only people who do them with bad form actually get injured. Being that your grandfather was a football player, he put a LOT more stress on his joints than the average person does, not to mention that the biomechanics of weight lifting was still rather new back when your grandfather would have been lifting.

There is a video that was posted here yesterday that actually talks quite a bit about squatting and the forces involved. I recommend giving it a watch.

http://www.nsca.com/Videos/Conference_Lectures/The_Science_of_Squatting/
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

I think two things:

and:

It's not about making my own decisions. I just said I've been doing the program for 3 weeks.
    I just wanted opinions on the risks.

Thank you everyone. I was thinking that perhaps it was more his lifestyle than the lifting that destroyed him... But I was really curious. I've seen the quote "Squats can be bad for you knees, but they're good for everything else". I get anxieties about these types of things :)

The forces exerted on your knees can be mitigated by doing low bar squats, which put more force on your hip joints.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Your grandfather probably had bad knees from playing football. That sport is brutal on the body. There's a reason the average NFL athlete lasts about 5-6 years compared to over 10 for every other sport, and the equipment in your grandfather's day was probably much less protective. You have seen former NFL linebackers/lineman/running backs waddle in to speak to kids about staying in school because their knees are completely broken, right?

EIther that, or he had really poor form on his lifts, which is possible because as mentioned the mechanics and science of strength training was in its infancy back then. But it's a bit of a stretch to point at weight lifting as the sole cause of bad knees when he played football.

If you do squats and deadlifts correctly and don't over-load the bar, you have nothing to worry about wrt injury.
  • LAnne16
    Options
    Yeah that actually makes me feel better... Thanks so much you guys. I've had my squats checked out but not my deadlifts yet. I'll have to bug one of the trainers to watch me once my shoulder is healed :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Squats are bad for my knees, but I have a weirdly hypermobile patella and a lot of knee stuff inflames mine. If all bad knees are anything like mine, you'll know when you can't do something because of the ongoing pain involved.

I do hate it when folks have ongoing knee pain and everyone says it can't be because of X or Y, though. My trainer insisted that it couldn't be the squats. I stopped the squats and/or leg press, and sure enough, that's what I needed to stop doing. My pain doc figured out why when he examined them. Mine are just built funny :) I do wish I'd laid off on certain things that caused a lot of knee pain over the years.

But if they don't hurt? I'd say it would be weird to have that screw up anything then, imho.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Probably one of the best break downs on the squat i have ever seen. Not riveting television per se, but unbelievably thorough.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I can't get past the part where you dad has to approve of your exercise routines. aren't you old enough that you should be having to get your husband's approval for things that you want to do?
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Make sure your form is good and you do proper warm-up with mobility exercises and you should have nothing to worry about.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to do a lit search for definitive proof, but I'd speculate that there is a much stronger causative relationship between obesity and future joint replacements than the relationship between lifting and joint replacements.
  • LAnne16
    Options
    I can't get past the part where you dad has to approve of your exercise routines. aren't you old enough that you should be having to get your husband's approval for things that you want to do?

He absolutely does not have to approve anything for me. I'm an adult, albiet one who is not very knowledgeable about weight training aside from what I've read online. And we can always trust google, right? I merely wanted his, and now your, opinion on the risks involved... Which I've already stated.
  • dockholiday8234
    dockholiday8234 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Your dad doesn't know what he is talking about.

Your grandad probably had terrible form like most people.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but its true.

Oh yeah.. Squats fixed my knees. Deadlifts fixed my back and posture.
  • LAnne16
    Options
    Your dad doesn't know what he is talking about.

Your grandad probably had terrible form like most people.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but its true.

Oh yeah.. Squats fixed my knees. Deadlifts fixed my back and posture.

Good to hear :)

That's what I'm hoping for haha. Definitely don't want to make things worse, so I'm pretty concerned about my form.