Damned if I do, Damned if I don't

Options

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    You are a big boy, you can make your own food.
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    Been there. Hubby and I both eat fairly well. He was following Kris Gethin's meal plans. I was following something else. He made his own food. I didn't get upset, he was able to follow his new diet plan, and everyone was happy. Done. :flowerforyou:
  • L4gym
    L4gym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, she's actively undermining your efforts to eat healthy. I don't know you or your wife, so I can't say why. Having been married for 33 years myself, however, I will say this: your relationship has become toxic. You really should seek out counselling ASAP. It just ain't normal to resist or subvert the efforts of someone you claim to love to lead a healthier lifestyle................

Yeah, I completely agree.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i'm going to reply from a completely different perspective- because I am a young twenties college student and have this exact same problem with my mom.

I absolutely love my mother...if you want to go there I've "been married" to her for 22 years :laugh:

Anyway, she and I had once been fit together years ago, both slacked off, a year ago I got back into it and am now in the best shape of my ENTIRE LIFE. She, however, well not in unhealthy straits by any means, work out like she used to. She works a crazy schedule every day and the gym is often closed when she gets out, then she is so tired she'll eat anything quick and simple.

During the week, I make most of my own food decisions and meals, as well as my boyfriends. However, one of the pleasure's my mom actually enjoys most IS cooking, and each weekend she uses that time being home to try out a new recipe or make something she knows I love for the week.

Well, what I TRULY love is gobs upon gobs of mac and cheese! And she makes some good stuff! Nevertheless, a lot of the options she uses are the full fat kind. I was so excited to see she had made sweet potatoes and squash with a little bit of oatmeal and brown sugar crumble on top. I looked and it seemed very healthy and was DELICIOUS! Later I found out, it was covered in butter. I was, like you said, very frustrated- simply because I would have used more restraint than that if I had known (I ate like 3 bowls of it!)

I kept trying to tell her that it wasn't that I didn't absolutely love what she's cooking--just that I can't have that as a part of my life right now. It's simply too easy to binge on things that I enjoy when there is a HUGE platter of it sitting in the fridge all week. It suddenly becomes every meal for the next week, because I don't want to waste it and, well, I WANT it!

One day, it just clicked. Mind you, we did have a very hefty argument about how I worry about her getting older and staying healthy so she can be around with me and my grandchildren one day. But it wasn't right then, more like a week later- I noticed a big difference in her meals and her understanding of the situation.

She may still buy unhealthy food for herself (though I'm definitely rubbing off on her!) but she won't make huge week-long portions of it. And the meals she cooks now in bulk are healthy options like home-made italian wedding soup (YUM!) and kohlrabi fritters (DOUBLE YUM!). When it still tastes good AND is healthy, I think people are more likely to switch off. Sometimes they just don't trust it.

This is the same woman I once caught "rinsing" the vodka sauce container with cream for our pasta! If she can make the switch to healthy meals...your wife can do!

And frankly if she doesn't....well....pshht. Women....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You have to have a talk with her IMO. If you tell her that you'd rather eat healthier and then she gets mad that you don't eat the unhealthy things she makes, it's on her, IMO. I kinda see both sides, I'd be upset if I made dinner and hubby didn't want it, but if he told me that he's trying to eat healthier, and I'm ignoring it, I really can't complain about it, can I?

My husband made catfish with cornmeal on top a couple months back. I was pretty annoyed, because that's extra calories I didn't need, and, well, he should know better by now. I ate it anyway (I had spare calories), but told him not to add any next time. So now he makes a portion without for me (we both do the cooking). Otherwise I would have to remove the top, or not eat it. But if he makes noodles or couscous and I don't have the calories for it, I just don't have any, and it doesn't bother him. We don't really make fancy recipes though.
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    You are a big boy, you can make your own food.

Ummm yeah my husband is a big boy and can pick up food on his way home but that doesn't mean I won't get very emotional if he did that without asking me what we are having, if I cooked, or if I wanted him to pick something up. If I make dinner I'm going to get emotional of he goes behind my back on it. Most women will. I think his best policy here is helping her prepare the meals and emphasize being a team when it comes to eating. If she needs an ingredient then he should be willing to run to the store to get it so she doesn't have to substitute. Also. I have to wonder if he asked what was in it before he ate it or after. The post says she told him after and that he logs everything indicating that he had asked what ingredients she used in which he learned she used half and half and butter. Maybe he didn't ask so she didn't feel like he needed it and told it to him after he specifically asked for the ingredients. Then I really would be upset because my mentality is would be well why didn't you ask before. Why are you blaming me for eating something that you know is unhealthy. Everyone knows pancakes is a very unhealthy breakfast food. That's no secret there.
  • liloldDee
    liloldDee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Okay. Is she the only cook in the house. I will say this I am and I can completely see where she's coming from. First of all she cooks to show you affection so for you to say you didn't like it or it wasn't healthy enough so you probably wouldn't have ate it if you had known would be saying her affection wasn't good enough. Weird huh. Us women never claimed to be logical. We are very emotional creatures now if it had been me and my hubby said that to me I would have been in the bedroom balling and feeling unappreciative. I have a thing called the husband approval. When rob goes back for seconds I know I did good. I'm not the only person who has that. Healthy no but rewarding yes because I spent the time to cook and he showed his appreciation for it by going back for seconds. Never said we weren't weird either. My suggestion is to apologize and let her know they were very delicious but did not fit your lifestyle. Help her in the kitchen. If my hubby would come help me cook at night the whole world would come to a screeching halt as I loved on him. It's an emotional connection thing. I have learned to use the recipe part of the diary. If there is a recipe we like I log it in so that I can still only have to make that kind of entry once. Any other time we fix it it is already loaded. The main thing is see if you can help her cook. Avid cookers don't always have what they need to make that item on hand so we substitute in order to continue instead of having to go to the store early in the morning. Is it a possibility that maybe y'all were out of milk and oil and so she substituted for those because there just happened to be half and half in the fridge? Just curious. Is it a part of married life.....no in the fact that you don't have to eat what your spouse fixes. On an emotional level yes because she is looking for that connection that says what she made in love you enjoyed.

I LOVED this! I am a stay-at-home-mom and I could not have said it better! Cooking is a form of affection and if my kids or bf do not like what I cooked, it is a blow to me emotionally and if they loved what I cooked, then I feel proud of myself and that I accomplished something. It is my pat-on-the-back!

No offence to you but just because you see cooking as a sign of affection doesn't mean your family will realise that. If you want pats on the back give them to yourself but don't demand them or resent it if someone in your family doesn't like what you prepared. I think calling other people not liking/liking what you made a blow or an accomplishment is quiet needy.

I make the majority of meals in our house and will tweak them to make sure everybody has a healthy meal they like, I don't believe in forcing someone into eating something they don't like or in my coeliac husbands case can't eat.
  • parrotlover
    parrotlover Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    OK, so I read some of the women's responses on here and I don't necessarily agree...yes it probably did hurt your wife's feelings a little bit with what you said in the beginning of your post but I don't agree with her saying you just have to eat what she makes and then she used more fattening ingredients in her breakfast after telling her you wanted to eat healthier. I don't think that was right and personally I think it was mean....why would she use those ingredients after you told her u wanted to lose. I would be hurt if I were u and I understand you are upset. I do agree with the first response in the sense that she told you to have a heart to heart with your wife. after your children are in bed in the evening....tell her how you feel from your heart (not in a mean way) and tell her how important it is to you to lose weight so you can be a better husband, father and person.
  • annbillingsley
    annbillingsley Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Okay. Is she the only cook in the house. I will say this I am and I can completely see where she's coming from. First of all she cooks to show you affection so for you to say you didn't like it or it wasn't healthy enough so you probably wouldn't have ate it if you had known would be saying her affection wasn't good enough. Weird huh. Us women never claimed to be logical. We are very emotional creatures now if it had been me and my hubby said that to me I would have been in the bedroom balling and feeling unappreciative. I have a thing called the husband approval. When rob goes back for seconds I know I did good. I'm not the only person who has that. Healthy no but rewarding yes because I spent the time to cook and he showed his appreciation for it by going back for seconds. Never said we weren't weird either. My suggestion is to apologize and let her know they were very delicious but did not fit your lifestyle. Help her in the kitchen. If my hubby would come help me cook at night the whole world would come to a screeching halt as I loved on him. It's an emotional connection thing. I have learned to use the recipe part of the diary. If there is a recipe we like I log it in so that I can still only have to make that kind of entry once. Any other time we fix it it is already loaded. The main thing is see if you can help her cook. Avid cookers don't always have what they need to make that item on hand so we substitute in order to continue instead of having to go to the store early in the morning. Is it a possibility that maybe y'all were out of milk and oil and so she substituted for those because there just happened to be half and half in the fridge? Just curious. Is it a part of married life.....no in the fact that you don't have to eat what your spouse fixes. On an emotional level yes because she is looking for that connection that says what she made in love you enjoyed.

I LOVED this! I am a stay-at-home-mom and I could not have said it better! Cooking is a form of affection and if my kids or bf do not like what I cooked, it is a blow to me emotionally and if they loved what I cooked, then I feel proud of myself and that I accomplished something. It is my pat-on-the-back!

No offence to you but just because you see cooking as a sign of affection doesn't mean your family will realise that. If you want pats on the back give them to yourself but don't demand them or resent it if someone in your family doesn't like what you prepared. I think calling other people not liking/liking what you made a blow or an accomplishment is quiet needy.

I make the majority of meals in our house and will tweak them to make sure everybody has a healthy meal they like, I don't believe in forcing someone into eating something they don't like or in my coeliac husbands case can't eat.

No offence taken :)
    LOL, I never said I was in the right or logical. I have issues with food, which is why I am here in the first place lol. I don't force anyone to eat what I cook. I cook what MOST people in the house will eat and enjoy. But I also cook on a budget, and cannot afford to make every one of them a separate meal. Bottom line, baked chicken nuggets or a small pizza isn't going to kill us. My bf and I just have to learn portion control and self-restraint. If any one of us had a disease, that would be different, and cannot even be compared to his situation or mine.
  • LGS1974
    Options
    You need to have a talk when you are both feeling calm. Maybe part of her role is being a feeder and she's not sure who she is if she isn't doing this.

At the end of the day you need to be clear you're doing it because you want to be alive to see your sons grow and spend your retirement with your wife.

Instead of saying 'you undermine my efforts' say when you don't support me it makes me feel sad. That way you are owning your emotions.
  • L4gym
    Options
    OK, so I read some of the women's responses on here and I don't necessarily agree...yes it probably did hurt your wife's feelings a little bit with what you said in the beginning of your post but I don't agree with her saying you just have to eat what she makes and then she used more fattening ingredients in her breakfast after telling her you wanted to eat healthier. I don't think that was right and personally I think it was mean....why would she use those ingredients after you told her u wanted to lose. I would be hurt if I were u and I understand you are upset. I do agree with the first response in the sense that she told you to have a heart to heart with your wife. after your children are in bed in the evening....tell her how you feel from your heart (not in a mean way) and tell her how important it is to you to lose weight so you can be a better husband, father and person.

Finally a female that's not a unreasonable witch.
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Cook your own food then you can ensure she's not sabotaging your efforts. Or only eat half of the meals she makes if they're usually ladened in lard.

P.S. You have nothing to apologise for!
  • TonyaMeadows
    Options
    I have read ALL of the responses and here is something that I did not see. Could it be that she doesn't want to have you loose weight because she could be afraid that she would loose you. There are so many men out there that are that way and there are just as many women that way as well. I also agree with everyone that you need to apologize for not correctly communicating what you are trying to do. Are you letting her know that you are wanting to get healthy to be around longer for the family? Did you ask her if she thought that it would be great if the whole family slowly starts eating healthier and talk about getting new recipes or checking out books, web sites or on here for healthier recipes? If she is over weight, then why not tell her you want to do it with her so that it can spice up your lives as lovers? I mean spicing it up and making her feel loved and wanted might be what she needs. She could seriously be thinking that you want to get thinner to attract someone new and it not be her. If my husband stated things as you did, well, he wouldn't have gotten a chance to make another post on here until he came out of the coma my iron skillet put him in. She sounds hurt and pissed off for sure and I can't blame her. As far as you and the putting recipes in takes too long..... suck it up and be a man not some whining whimpering boy. We all have to do it just like everyone on here has said. My husband says he supports me and says yes to my healthier recipes and then either says he doesn't want it or fixes himself something else. We had pizza with his father {who is skinny} and I ate 2 slices but it was for 2 of my meals. My husband had 4 1/2 slices, over half of a 14 box of chicken wings and 2 pieces of crust, a small container of ranch dressing and one of pizza sauce. I about died because he says he is dieting with me. I do not call it dieting, i binge eat if I do. I am changing my eating habits and trying to eat healthier. I have also found that I can have some of the not so healthy foods but in moderation. So you can either eat smaller portions of her foods or cook for yourself. But you do seriously need to grow up and accept getting healthy takes boring work like entering in the recipes. You also need to look at it as if your wife decided out of no where she wanted to loose weight and you were the cook and she said all that to you. So saving you at least 1 session with a counselor there. I still feel like there is a fear of loosing you in there. You get out and interact with others while she is there. Most of the time when a man starts something like loosing weight, it is to attract another lover. If your doctor told you to do this, why did you not let her go back with you or set up another appointment to have him talk to you both about what is wrong with you and future outcome if you do not loose the weight. So many options that can help you, her, the kids, and keep your marriage from heading into a worse disaster than you have already created. Now I want to add this is just my opinion of the situation and you are a grown *kitten* man who can do what he wants.
  • L4gym
    Options
    I have read ALL of the responses and here is something that I did not see. Could it be that she doesn't want to have you loose weight because she could be afraid that she would loose you. There are so many men out there that are that way and there are just as many women that way as well. I also agree with everyone that you need to apologize for not correctly communicating what you are trying to do. Are you letting her know that you are wanting to get healthy to be around longer for the family? Did you ask her if she thought that it would be great if the whole family slowly starts eating healthier and talk about getting new recipes or checking out books, web sites or on here for healthier recipes? If she is over weight, then why not tell her you want to do it with her so that it can spice up your lives as lovers? I mean spicing it up and making her feel loved and wanted might be what she needs. She could seriously be thinking that you want to get thinner to attract someone new and it not be her. If my husband stated things as you did, well, he wouldn't have gotten a chance to make another post on here until he came out of the coma my iron skillet put him in. She sounds hurt and pissed off for sure and I can't blame her. As far as you and the putting recipes in takes too long..... suck it up and be a man not some whining whimpering boy. We all have to do it just like everyone on here has said. My husband says he supports me and says yes to my healthier recipes and then either says he doesn't want it or fixes himself something else. We had pizza with his father {who is skinny} and I ate 2 slices but it was for 2 of my meals. My husband had 4 1/2 slices, over half of a 14 box of chicken wings and 2 pieces of crust, a small container of ranch dressing and one of pizza sauce. I about died because he says he is dieting with me. I do not call it dieting, i binge eat if I do. I am changing my eating habits and trying to eat healthier. I have also found that I can have some of the not so healthy foods but in moderation. So you can either eat smaller portions of her foods or cook for yourself. But you do seriously need to grow up and accept getting healthy takes boring work like entering in the recipes. You also need to look at it as if your wife decided out of no where she wanted to loose weight and you were the cook and she said all that to you. So saving you at least 1 session with a counselor there. I still feel like there is a fear of loosing you in there. You get out and interact with others while she is there. Most of the time when a man starts something like loosing weight, it is to attract another lover. If your doctor told you to do this, why did you not let her go back with you or set up another appointment to have him talk to you both about what is wrong with you and future outcome if you do not loose the weight. So many options that can help you, her, the kids, and keep your marriage from heading into a worse disaster than you have already created. Now I want to add this is just my opinion of the situation and you are a grown *kitten* man who can do what he wants.

Wise and wonderful Tonya
  • liloldDee
    liloldDee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Annbillingsle, I get what you mean, I suppose for me I have reached the stage where I consider my weight problems while, not a disease, a definite health problem. I just think it's a shame that the ops wife is allowing her pride to stop her husband eating the meals he feels will be beneficial to him.

I think I am empathising more with the op because I know how hard dieting can be, it would be easy for him to throw in the towel and say " I'm not able to diet because it will upset my wife". I think he deserves a pat on the back for trying to find a way around this.

If you learn the secret to self restraint, will you please share with me, I need a dose of it.;-)
  • MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If what/how she cooks bothers you *that* much (or you think it takes "too much time" to log what she cooks) then cook your own damn food.

Seriously, though.....she's taking care of three kids (YOUR kids) all day long. That's difficult enough without having to worry about whether what she's cooking is "acceptable" for you to eat.

Should she support you in your weight loss efforts? Sure. But is it her responsibility to make sure you're eating within your calorie goal, or getting your macros in and all that? Nope. That's *your* responsibility and yours alone. And you can do that without having to eat anything different than what she is cooking. It "takes too long" to log it? Bull. Suck it up and do it, because this doesn't have anything to do with your wife, or what she cooks. This is about what you're willing -- and not willing -- to do in order to meet your goals.
  • annbillingsley
    Options

I agree!!!! He needs to look at it from HER point of view as much as she needs to look at it from HIS. I lost 200 lbs and I can tell you personally that how I felt for my then-husband changed because my self-esteem went way up. What I put up with at 451 lbs was NOT what I put up with at 251 lbs. I know from experience that losing weight CAN be the demise of a relationship.
  • BlankDoll
    Options
    granted...I'm not married but I'm not understanding why people are saying he should apologize. He has been upfront and honest about his desire to lose weight. She should support him as well. There is no reason to use higher fat/cal items when you can easily substitute other items in an effort to support your spouse in their fitness goals.
    This^
    Also the fact that she used half & half deliberately sounds like sabotage.
  • annbillingsley
    Options
    Annbillingsle, I get what you mean, I suppose for me I have reached the stage where I consider my weight problems while, not a disease, a definite health problem. I just think it's a shame that the ops wife is allowing her pride to stop her husband eating the meals he feels will be beneficial to him.

I think I am empathising more with the op because I know how hard dieting can be, it would be easy for him to throw in the towel and say " I'm not able to diet because it will upset my wife". I think he deserves a pat on the back for trying to find a way around this.

If you learn the secret to self restraint, will you please share with me, I need a dose of it.;-)

In my case, my bf insisting I change my entire way of shopping, cooking and eating was a HUGE trigger for my eating issues. I HAD to face them in order to cook healthier instead of just sticking my head in the sand and eating like calories didn't matter. the OP's wife, from how he made it sound, seems like she has issues with food as well(whether it be eating or how cooking makes her feel). She very well may have been triggered by this sudden revelation of his to change the way she cooks. I also know from experience that dramatic weight loss can ruin a relationship. I took a lot of crap from my ex because I didn't think I could find anything better or deserved anything better. When I lost 200 lbs from gastric bypass surgery, things changed. I finally stood up for myself and he left me and found someone else he could manipulate. Granted, it was the best thing for me, but a lot of us don't want to rock the boat like that. This new-found desire to be healthy, which many of us interpret as "look good", has probably shoved her insecurities to the forefront and she is dealing with them the only way she knows how. This is just a guess, mind you lol. Things are not always so black and white as to say she HAS to be supportive in the way HE wants her to be or she is a witch and unsupportive. Most of us would prefer our significant others to be around as long as possible, but we also have issues of our own to deal with, especially where food is concerned.

I keep all of my MFP stuff private and completely separate from my bf, who is also an mfp member. I feel this is my journey and should be completely detached from my relationship. I am working through many issues regarding food (I am a food addict and I binge eat) and self-esteem, so I need this to be all about ME and not my bf....and I feel the same should be said for him. If he wants to make this journey to a healthier him, he should not rely on my support because it is HIS journey. And at this point, I just don't have anything left emotionally to be his cheerleader. I support my bf by cooking healthier meals, weighing and measuring the foods that go into meals, and by not sabotaging him. If he cannot handle my level of support and respect that I have issues that *I* need to resolve as well to get healthier, I can't say or do anything more for him.

I do feel for the OP, because I had to make a decision to be a healthier me when my ex didn't want me to for fear he would lose me. And because of the gastric bypass, I have to follow certain "rules", so for me it is ALL about the protein and as few carbs that aren't veggies as possible. But because *I* chose the surgery to be healthier, doesn't give me the right to impose it on any other person....especially if I was not the cook. I would never tell my ex or my bf that I didn't like how they cooked....after 7 years of it being wonderful...HAS to change. That the way they plan meals...the way the shop HAS to change. If he wants to change, then he really should take the responsibility out of her hands and lead by example, rather then demanding she change. And my suggestion that he cook for the whole family was to get him to appreciate how difficult meal prep is for a family :). Like I said previously, when my bf insisted I change my entire way of shopping and cooking to suit him, I told him that is fine, he can shop and prepare the meals for us all. AMAZING at how fast my cooking was just fine and he'd have to learn portion control instead of me doing it for him. lololol!
  • MimikoMomoko
    Options
    Your wife and family should support your decisions to lose weight and be healthy. My husband knows how I feel about losing weight and whole heartedly supports me. We eat the meals I cook no matter what I cook and if one doesnt like something then they simply dont eat it. I do portion out my own meals and let him decide how much he wants. I may be reletively new to marriage myself but it baffles me how someone can't be more supportive of such an important lifestyle change. She just seems like being unreasonable to me. But it all does play into your own family dymatics. This is just my family and my own beliefs. You may just have to cook your own meals and have her do maybe basic prep for you.

There will come a time when you will understand. In newlywed phase first year support is always there. As you get out of that phase you learn that you don't always have that support. After all you are two different people. My husband supports me eating healthy but will not go to the gym with me. He supports but does not participate. You can not force your spouse to eat what you want to eat all the time. I tell him what he's eating so he can decide if he wants to participate. I have him taste it then I tell him what it is and he tells wether he likes it or not. My support for him is making sure I fix what he will eat in the guidelines that I have. For example I can't eat bread so last night I mad hamburgers. Told him he can add bread if he wanted to. My point is it's your lifestyle change not your spouses. You can't force your spouse to make a change even if you know it's better for him. I only succeeded once and that was smoking because the cigarette smoke made me sick and I told him if he ever wanted to kiss me again then he would have to stop. And he did. Yes you do have support in a relationship but possibly not what you are thinking support is. Support can be something as little as fixing a meal that you can modify that he will like also.

I see what youre saying but I'm not quite sure you understand what I was trying to get across but what you said IS what we do. I'm not a person who says you know 'my way or the highway' I frequently make foods my husband likes and ask him what he wants to eat and I portion out my own food of that. I don't force him to eat anything... ever. Lol I find that quite rediculous.. for example he loves fish i hate fish he wants it i make it and i eat chicken instead.. I make foods he likes BUT healthier versions of them. As a family everyone can make changes in their eating habits. When it comes down to it its your own family dynamics. There needs to be improved communaction, understanding, support, and action. To us eating and exercising is a lifestyle which will foster other improvements in our relationship and family. We've always been together of several years living under this premise and so far its worked for us. But this is our family and this is what we do. We always make decisions together and act accordingly.