Oil Drilling Project

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Wow, sorry for asking for suggestions. I forgot how this place operates, especially for the people who troll the forums and spend all day on the internet.. Like being back in junior high, except you're all old enough to be my parents ;)
    You didn't do your homework in jr high? That explains why you're having problems now.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Wow, sorry for asking for suggestions. I forgot how this place operates, especially for the people who troll the forums and spend all day on the internet.. Like being back in junior high, except you're all old enough to be my parents ;)

In that you're asking other people to do your graded homework project for you, you may want to rethink your perspective.

I asked someone to do the job analysis and write the job description and come up with the pre-emp test and discipline policy? I must've missed that post.

Your ability to creatively organize and present your work is part of what's being tested. Many HR professionals see fantastic analysis ignored because they don't spend enough time figuring out how to communicate it in a way that engages and influences key stakeholders. This is just as important as the work you have done to date, and a key differentiator in successful individuals.

My client couldn't give a **** about the visual. If it were up to him, we wouldn't waste time even doing one, he has received what he needed from us. The only part my professor grades is our visual, the client grades us on everything else.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Where did the old people trolls go? This was my entertainment for the evening :)

On behalf of the "old people"...

...I suggest instead that your entertainment for the evening be the homework assignment you and your team waited so long to finish.
  • skierxjes
    Options
    Where did the old people trolls go? This was my entertainment for the evening :)

On behalf of the "old people"...

...I suggest instead that your entertainment for the evening be the homework assignment you and your team waited so long to finish.

Oh, I am working on it. I have quite a few tabs open with suggestions others have passed my way. And thanks to the small suggestions each one made, I have many possible ideas now :)
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    talk about hand safety, I spent some time in the oilfield...those fools get a hard on talking about pinch points and hand safety.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Where did the young slackers go?

Oh, still here.
  • skierxjes
    Options
    Where did the young slackers go?

Oh, still here.

And not going anywhere! :wink:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how we are supposed to come up with ideas for a presentation when we don't know the details. YOU may know them, but all we have is some vague description of a tri-fold board, an oil drilling company, and "don't make it look like a 5th grader did it". That's not much to work with. It's like asking someone to write an essay for you without giving them the prompt. :huh:
  • skierxjes
    Options
    I don't understand how we are supposed to come up with ideas for a presentation when we don't know the details. YOU may know them, but all we have is some vague description of a tri-fold board, an oil drilling company, and "don't make it look like a 5th grader did it". That's not much to work with. It's like asking someone to write an essay for you without giving them the prompt. :huh:

As I said in my intial post: My company is an Oil Drilling company based in the town my college is in. Our scope was to do a job analysis, create a job description for a certain position, create a point based disciplinary system and create a pre-employment job test.

That's what the project was. Now, we need to creatively present it. After speaking with a few people via message, a tri-fold presentation for doing a job analysis and job description doesn't make sense.

Each group had vastly different project scopes, ours just so happens to have been hmm "boring" and making a "pretty visual" for it isn't as easy as some others.

A previous group had a scope on on boarding and laid their board down and glued a train and track to it and had signs with "All aboard for on boarding" as an example.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm one of the old people now :sad: :sad: :sad:

Maybe it's my time spent as a high school teacher, but I'm also of the opinion that you should do your own homework. Your teacher assigned it because she believes the skills required will be valuable to you in your chosen career.
  • skierxjes
    Options

Maybe it's my time spent as a high school teacher, but I'm also of the opinion that you should do your own homework. Your teacher assigned it because she believes the skills required will be valuable to you in your chosen career.

The job analysis, description, test and discipline policy - yes, those will be helpful for my future career. Making a trifold board about it? Not so much.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options

The job analysis, description, test and discipline policy - yes, those will be helpful for my future career. Making a trifold board about it? Not so much.

I think you are missing something very important here. There is a reason your teacher is emphasizing this. Communication skills are a critical differentiator in long term career success. Good luck to you.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...A previous group had a scope on on boarding and laid their board down and glued a train and track to it and had signs with "All aboard for on boarding" as an example...
    [/quote]

If you're just looking for a theme, maybe you could try some old timey turn of the century oil strike stuff. Look back at some history, come up with a cute slogan, etc...

oilstrike_zpsbf49dd5f.jpg
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Don't be so sure. Part of most "career" jobs is getting other career people to buy into your project, idea, vision, whatever. A fundamental skill necessary for having a successful career is the exchange of ideas, and communication with others. There is more to communication than just meetings and emails. Sometimes a sales pitch is what's needed. Whether it's a trifold board or a set of train tracks if you get someone to pay attention to you for a few minutes, you have that much more chance of getting your point across.

You're probably too young to have fought these battles, but meetings are often a thinly-veiled power struggle, with subtle undercutting and everyone trying to get the boss notice them. Effective presentation skills are your kung-fu, and it is strong.

- successful "old" engineering nerd
  • skierxjes
    Options
    ...A previous group had a scope on on boarding and laid their board down and glued a train and track to it and had signs with "All aboard for on boarding" as an example...

If you're just looking for a theme, maybe you could try some old timey turn of the century oil strike stuff. Look back at some history, come up with a cute slogan, etc...

oilstrike_zpsbf49dd5f.jpg
    [/quote]

Thank you! This was all my post was getting at, some simple ideas so I could go off of them and create something :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    hispanic-woman-glasses-thinking-pen-23429388.jpg

IF only there were someone creative around here? Who used to work in M&OD. Making creative graphics for binders and presentations. With lot's of corporate experience. In vastly different fields and departments. Oil being one of them. Who's daddy worked in oil? Hmmmmmmmmmm? And who wasn't also.....OLD!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    hispanic-woman-glasses-thinking-pen-23429388.jpg

IF only there were someone creative around here? Who used to work in M&OD. Making creative graphics for binders and presentations. With lot's of corporate experience. In vastly different fields and departments. Oil being one of them. Who's daddy worked in oil? Hmmmmmmmmmm? And who wasn't also.....OLD!

burning-bridges.jpg
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I just want to know why all my friends are in here helping you when I also have homework to do. Traitors.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I just want to know why all my friends are in here helping you when I also have homework to do. Traitors.

MAN I hope your homework has something to do with your butt. Or your perfume collection.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

MAN I hope your homework has something to do with your butt. Or your perfume collection.

Both. I got most of the bottles in my perfume collection because of my butt.