Lifting, Eating "Clean," and Muscle Definition

Options
Let's define "Eating Clean," as it was told to me and focus on THIS loose definition:

"whole grains, hormone free meat, veggies, and water"

Ok, the above is what I was told that I HAD to eat, and avoid all other foods, in order to achieve the "ripped effect" when lifting.

In your experience, is this True or false?

(Please, only those with experience in achieving actual results respond to this.)

Replies

• WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I suppose this would be more appropriate under "food and nutrition." Woops!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Well....

I wholly believe in eating clean and when I don't I don't lose, I feel like crap and have less energy.

HOWEVER.

Types of food you eat does not dictate if you will get ripped or not. The amount of food you eat, coupled with the type of exercise you do does this.

Eating at a deficit will create weight loss period. I believe eating more while exercising hard will give you the ripped effect. But have not tried to bulk. which is what I think you are referring to.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    False. I can could point to dozens of counter examples on MFP alone without even thinking hard.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I agree, you want to eat as clean as possible and eat the appropriate amount of calories for your goals. Perhaps slightly off topic but I personally don't believe "calories are calories". Your body will react very differently to a 450 calorie McDonald's burger than it will to a 450 calories of lean steak and vegetables. If this wasn't the case, pro bodybuilders (for example) wouldn't live off of Chicken & veggies (and other "clean" foods) to achieve the very low body fat %s while still being muscular.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Let's define "Eating Clean," as it was told to me and focus on THIS loose definition:

Ok, the above is what I was told that I HAD to eat, and avoid all other foods, in order to achieve the "ripped effect" when lifting.

(Please, only those with experience in achieving actual results respond to this.)

It's a load of bollocks.

I've been super ripped eating pasta, bread, rice, whatever. Just eat slightly below TDEE and put in the time and have patience. That's all it takes.

There are no magic bullets. There are no short cuts. There are no secret handshakes. It's good, old-fashioned, rolling up the sleeves and getting on with it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Broscience. The "ripped" look comes from very low body fat. For a female, it would be from 10%-12%. Now most of the females attaining this will eat a "clean" diet for one main reason (and competitive bodybuilders the same)..................................they usually eat in big amounts and snack all the time. Whole foods usually are less calorie dense so that means one can eat more in bulk compared to junk food and packaged foods. So if calories count, then whole foods allow more volume to be eaten. This way they don't have to reduce as much habitual eating.
    Can one achieve a ripped look eating "unclean"? Of course. I've seen/know many people do it on a regular basis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    lower BF% will give you the ripped look as long as you have at least some base of muscle underneath. As long as you are in a deficit that in not too large and get enough protein, and lift, most of your weight loss will come from fat, and in time you will have a ripped look. If you don't get enough protein, don't lift, too large of a deficit a large % of your loss will come from lean muscle and you will have to lose much more weight to looked ripped and it will most likely be skinny and ripped.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Utter baloney. I'm four weeks into a lifting programme, can see massive improvements already and eat much more interesting and tasty food that the restrictive list you quoted.
  • vsangelwings95
    vsangelwings95 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Broscience. The "ripped" look comes from very low body fat. For a female, it would be from 10%-12%. Now most of the females attaining this will eat a "clean" diet for one main reason (and competitive bodybuilders the same)..................................they usually eat in big amounts and snack all the time. Whole foods usually are less calorie dense so that means one can eat more in bulk compared to junk food and packaged foods. So if calories count, then whole foods allow more volume to be eaten. This way they don't have to reduce as much habitual eating.
    Can one achieve a ripped look eating "unclean"? Of course. I've seen/know many people do it on a regular basis.

IDEA Fitness member
    exactly what i was going to say
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Lol
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    This should be interesting.

OP sit back and enjoy the fireworks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I agree, you want to eat as clean as possible and eat the appropriate amount of calories for your goals. Perhaps slightly off topic but I personally don't believe "calories are calories". Your body will react very differently to a 450 calorie McDonald's burger than it will to a 450 calories of lean steak and vegetables. If this wasn't the case, pro bodybuilders (for example) wouldn't live off of Chicken & veggies (and other "clean" foods) to achieve the very low body fat %s while still being muscular.
    Well let's say the drugs help a little too. As I've mentioned, whole foods are less calorie dense and if you've seen a pro bodybuilder eat in the off season, it's like a week's worth of food for me in one day for them. So eating more volume helps to keep them from going insane. I haven't really known a pro body builder yet that doesn't eat some junk food in the off season. Jay Cutler claimed to, but then there were pictures posted of him eating a Double Western Bacon cheeseburger while relaxing.
    Don't get me wrong, a diet consisting of just junk food isn't going to cut it for them, but for pure bulk up, these guys will eat just about anything as long as it has high protein in it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Your comparison is irrelevant, a 450 calorie burger from McDonald's would have a different macronutrient profile than a "lean" steak with vegetables. Now, a burger vs a nice fatty steak, with vegetables, and mashed potatoes? Yeah, roughly equal, and body handles it the same way. The human body doesn't recognize "steak," "vegetables," or "Big Mac," that's 100% only your brain, your body just sees protein, fat, and carbs, and deals with them as it needs to.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i think 'clean' eating is great, don't get me wrong and i try to eat natural things to a certain extent but....just look at all the ripped guys and girls that post on here regularly who eat ice-cream etc.

"everything in moderation including moderation" ;)

ETA: i don't usually do motivational quotes, but i like this one.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Your comparison is irrelevant, a 450 calorie burger from McDonald's would have a different macronutrient profile than a "lean" steak with vegetables. Now, a burger vs a nice fatty steak, with vegetables, and mashed potatoes? Yeah, roughly equal, and body handles it the same way. The human body doesn't recognize "steak," "vegetables," or "Big Mac," that's 100% only your brain, your body just sees protein, fat, and carbs, and deals with them as it needs to.

;)

Hormonal Responses to a Fast-Food Meal Compared with Nutritionally Comparable Meals of Different Composition.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17536194
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    in for the lulz
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Ok, so, it would be reasonable for me to continue to eat an "80/20 diet," count calories (which is what I've been doing, nutritionally speaking), and achieve visible results, if I put in the physical work, right?
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    "Whole foods usually are less calorie dense so that means one can eat more in bulk compared to junk food and packaged foods. So if calories count, then whole foods allow more volume to be eaten. This way they don't have to reduce as much habitual eating."

Agreed. In my own experiences, I've found that eating junk only makes me hungry while counting calories, because I have such a low BMR (yay, 1350). I prefer to stick with a protein/fat + veggie + fruit and budget in small amounts of simple carbs (such as: bread and/or dessert). Otherwise, I'm ravenous and/or have the shakes from low blood sugar.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Well let's say the drugs help a little too. As I've mentioned, whole foods are less calorie dense and if you've seen a pro bodybuilder eat in the off season, it's like a week's worth of food for me in one day for them. So eating more volume helps to keep them from going insane. I haven't really known a pro body builder yet that doesn't eat some junk food in the off season. Jay Cutler claimed to, but then there were pictures posted of him eating a Double Western Bacon cheeseburger while relaxing.
    Don't get me wrong, a diet consisting of just junk food isn't going to cut it for them, but for pure bulk up, these guys will eat just about anything as long as it has high protein in it.

Wasn't referring to Cutler, Heath, or any of the other drugged out bodybuilders in my response. Look at someone who's a natural bodybuilder e.g. Cory Gregory. I'm sure he was the occasional "Double Western Bacon cheeseburger" but to get his lean, muscular look do you really think he doesn't eat clean most of the time? Seriously?

Bulking is a different topic and not what I was referring to in my response. Obviously, if you want to bulk up you need to eat in a surplus. But again, WHAT YOU EAT will make a difference in body composition. I'll use myself for an example. I have been trying to bulk up since July but want to put on as little fat as possible. Eating 2800kcal/day as clean as I can, I've gained 7lbs and haven't put on any fat. Pretty good IMO for someone who started at 125lbs. I guarantee you if I was eating 2800 kcal of CRAP my body composition at this point would be much different.

It's funny to me that a clean diet vs a crap one is even being debated one this forum. Just wow. Forget body composition, we haven't even touched on what eating unhealthy does for your health in general.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    In. :laugh: Out.