Any Menopause weight loss success stories?

Options

Replies

03221961 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree with you on the menopause does not make you gain weight. Here is what does happen naturally our stomaches seems to gather fat around the middle and I find I am hungry for sweets but if you watch and exercise the weight gain that people think comes from menopause won't happen.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly 61. Pounds crept on over the last 20+ years. Took an online nutrition class in January where one assignment was to log what I ate for a 24 hour period. Ate healthier that day :wink: and noted if I ate that well everyday, I should lose weight. The class gave me a sideways intro to MFP. I joined in February and I'm currently losing about 1 pound a week on 1500 or so daily calories. I'm eating cleaner and I quit keeping snacks in my car, except for very long drives and for that I've switched from tortilla chips to broccoli and hummus. There's nothing "magic" to losing weight - you just have to find a program that works for you that you can stick with for the rest of your life. (I'm also gluten free, but that is to resolve some pesky health issues - avoided gluten for almost 2 years with no downward trend in weight prior to MFP)

You ROCK, period! WOOT!!!!
  • inkwithgold
    inkwithgold Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bumping up - great advice and encouragement in this thread :smile:
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and post-menopausal. Since last July I've lost 77 pounds by exercising (Zumba, walking, water aerobics and weight machines) and tracking calories on MFP. It's working, but I think I do have to work harder than I would have if I'd done this 20 years ago! Today I posted some pictures on this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1052548-one-year-on-mfp-and-77-pounds-down-with-pictures
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Someone asked about HRT. I have never used hormones. I also have had no negative menopause symptoms, I think exercising makes a huge difference.
  • liln5k
    liln5k Posts: 6
    Options
    I am 42 and peri-menopausal. I don't have hot flashes or anything like that BUT I do have the irregular cycles, mood swings, anxiety, heart palpitations, etc... My husband and I started the virgin diet (lifestyle change) in late oct early nov of last year. I weighed 215 lbs. As of my Friday weigh in, I am now 128 lbs... I walk on the treadmill at work 5 days a week for 40 mins (5 min warm up; 30 min walk at 3.5 mph; 5 min cool down) I do upper body weight machines mon and wed and then legs on tues and thurs. I do standing ab's all 5 days. My husband has lost 95 lbs with the new lifestyle changes and he doesn't work out like I do... for us It comes down to clean eating... we eat meat, fruits, veges, good carbs and healthy fats (oliveoyl, etc) (lentils, sweet potatoes and brown rice)... we eat as organic as possible... We don't eat processed foods, dairy, eggs, peanuts, corn, soy, sugar or artificial sweetners... I average between 1200 and 1300 calories and it is a lot of food to eat!!! we are never hungry!!! if interested you should visit jjvirgin.com or visit her page on facebook... it really does work!!!:smile:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I am 42 and peri-menopausal. I don't have hot flashes or anything like that BUT I do have the irregular cycles, mood swings, anxiety, heart palpitations, etc... My husband and I started the virgin diet (lifestyle change) in late oct early nov of last year. I weighed 215 lbs. As of my Friday weigh in, I am now 128 lbs... I walk on the treadmill at work 5 days a week for 40 mins (5 min warm up; 30 min walk at 3.5 mph; 5 min cool down) I do upper body weight machines mon and wed and then legs on tues and thurs. I do standing ab's all 5 days. My husband has lost 95 lbs with the new lifestyle changes and he doesn't work out like I do... for us It comes down to clean eating... we eat meat, fruits, veges, good carbs and healthy fats (oliveoyl, etc) (lentils, sweet potatoes and brown rice)... we eat as organic as possible... We don't eat processed foods, dairy, eggs, peanuts, corn, soy, sugar or artificial sweetners... I average between 1200 and 1300 calories and it is a lot of food to eat!!! we are never hungry!!! if interested you should visit jjvirgin.com or visit her page on facebook... it really does work!!!:smile:

Just plain....W:heart: W!!!!!!!

This post is so utterly inspirational and encouraging to me. Thank you ever so very much for posting and I'm so proud of you (and your beloved) WOW!!!! You Rock, period. :heart: :drinker: :heart:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I can NOT thank you ALL enough for posting these super wonderful replies. YOU ALL are my shero's big time...

{{{{{{{ Hugs and High Fives}}}}} to each and everyone of you winners for taking the time to reply.

:love: :smooched: :heart: :flowerforyou: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :smooched: :love:
  • MrsMX
    MrsMX Posts: 98
    Options
    Well I don't know where I fit in all this ..
    Somewhere in the middle I believe and I must say its been a pleasure
    and very informative to read each and every story along the way ....

I've had the hot flushes and the irregular TOM's and literally am somewhere in the middle

I Cycle and do some Weights .. Walk/Jog and enjoy JM
    and have been on a plateau for several months now!!!

Frustration has hit and I am revising everything,
    Whilst doing this I googled menopause which bought me full circle back to MFP
    which oddly enough is where I began!!

I'm sure there is a lesson in this ..........................................
    thanx Ladies :flowerforyou:
  • ChickaDee2012
    ChickaDee2012 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and believe I'm peri-menopausal. I've gained 13 pounds already in 5 months. Went from 140 to 153 lbs. I've been eating fairly well mostly veggies, fruit, yogurt, eggs, chicken, fish. Whole grain sometimes. No potatoes, No dairy, sugar...and stay away from processed foods as much as I can. Granted, at this point, I'm only moderately active (with sports activities) but not going to the gym or working out regularly with weights or cardio. Although I am eating well...the scale keeps edging slowly higher and just bumming me out! I'm only now realizing that eating well alone isn't going to do it for me... I need to get my butt to the gym and follow all of your lead... I know what I need to do, but my mind plays tricks on me and finds every excuse not to... So I came online looking for some inspiration and motivation..

Here I am and I'm SO glad I came across this thread. I've read each and every one of your inspirational stories, and kept saying "WOW" over and over again! You ladies ROCK. And I love love one poster calling all of you "sherros"... Because you really are. I think this will be my "Go To" inspiration when I need it. Thank you ladies for the inspiration and for giving me hope!! Wish me luck!
  • Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bethann1976
    Options
    I'm only 36, but I had a total hysterectomy 3 months ago due to stage 4 endometriosis. Ovaries included, so technically I'm in surgical menopause, despite not having any 'symptoms' yet. Anyway.... 8 lbs down since surgery. I'm actually finding it EASIER now that all my troubled bits and parts are out of my body!
  • ruthrowlett1
    ruthrowlett1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Great inspiration ladies!!! I'm in pre/menopause and have been having issues. I'm staying with it and trying to regular my calories and carbs
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You can check out my topic- "How I did it" I got a lot of positive feed back.
  • bhsishtla
    bhsishtla Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    69 calendar years old, but feel much younger since changing my eating habits drastically almost 8 months ago.

I refuse to let food do anything but make me stronger and thinner and.....younger!

I'm enrolled in a musical theater training program at our local community college-

Talk about great exercise! We just finished a musical a week ago and will be starting another in January! The most

Fun I've had in years and years.

I eat lower carb veggies, eggs and egg whites, nuts and berries most days, occasional meat or fish,

And that's it. Nothing goes in my mouth unless it will make my body function better.

My husband of 36 years refers to me as his "new wife"!
  • susan_skipper
    Options
    I am almost 60 years old and have lost, as of yesterday, 45lbs. The only way I can loose weight is to write down everything that goes into my mouth, measure and weigh all food. It's amazing the amount of calories that you can consume when you think that you aren't really eating that much. I used to eat heaping tablespoons of peanut butter every day thinking that it probably wasnt that many calories. I could never figure out why I wasnt losing weight! Now I stick to 1200 calories a day and I easily lost the weight. I started MFP last January, so it has been slow and steady. I am not on a diet, I have just gotten in the habit of logging my calorie intake which I will do for the rest of my life so I never gain that weight back.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I have lost 87 lbs going thru menopause. I am post menopausal because I had a hysterectomy 16 years ago. I dont have a lot of the hot flashes, just warmer. I'm a cold natured person normally. I find that the best way for me to lose weight is low carb :bigsmile:
  • EvyMetal
    Options
    I am almost 60 years old and have lost, as of yesterday, 45lbs. The only way I can loose weight is to write down everything that goes into my mouth, measure and weigh all food. It's amazing the amount of calories that you can consume when you think that you aren't really eating that much. I used to eat heaping tablespoons of peanut butter every day thinking that it probably wasnt that many calories. I could never figure out why I wasnt losing weight! Now I stick to 1200 calories a day and I easily lost the weight. I started MFP last January, so it has been slow and steady. I am not on a diet, I have just gotten in the habit of logging my calorie intake which I will do for the rest of my life so I never gain that weight back.

Congratulations Susan! I have done pretty much the same thing. Will be 60 in January, had a full hysterectomy in Nov. 2011 and my eating was just out of control. Counting every single thing I eat or drink and walking every single day has done it for me. I now eat whole, organic foods and stay away from sugar as much as possible. I also stick to the 1200 calories a day and my weight loss has been amazing - 84 lbs. since January 6, 2013. My goal weight is in sight and I am so excited to continue to work on fitness and strength.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!