Embarrassing fat stories!

Options

Replies

• AngelinaB79
    AngelinaB79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Firstly I'd like to say a big thank you to all of you for sharing some of your experiences.

I have been there with a few of them.

I think the biggest insult and least sympathetic person was my mum.
    This insult was the last straw and last time I let her insult me about my weight and considering I'd lost a bit of weight and still 3 x smaller than her she had no right to be so cruel =(...
    She babysat one night when we went to a friends wedding reception.
    As I lost a couple of pounds I was so happy when my friend lent me a gorge dress and it fitted me.
    I felt a million dollars, when we got home and it was time for me to take her home, she asked me if I was going to change out of the dress and into a pair of jeans and a top.
    When I said to her I was going to drive her home in the dress because I felt great.
    She leant over and grabbed the front of my tummy and wobbled it and said to me, "What's that then?"...
    My heart sank and it knocked me back with my weight for another 2 years, when back in January I decided to do it for me.

She has tried to insult me with her "fat" comments, but now always say, I'm doing something about it and surely you can't judge.

Blessings x
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I had never wore big sizes before but was beginning to wear 1x tops, weighing 208 lbs. I asked a lady in a dept store where to find raincoats and she yells The Plus Stuff is Upstairs. How embarrassing for everyone to hear.

Also I had thin parents who were so mean to me about weight. I took parents out for their anniversary and had bought a cute jean dress and was feeling good and we were at the restaurant and I paid for everything and got balloons and stuff, made it cute and made a comment to my Dad how nice he looked and he was no nice and tall and he said yes, and I have this short and dumpy daughter! I felt awful all evening.

Another time I was out with these parents (which as you can see pretty emotionally abusive) My Mom keeps yelling at the restaurant to my Dad, don't say anything to her about her weight and let her eat that pie very loud and everyone heard.

My two brothers came in from out of town,we are all adults and it was at a restaurant, and my Mom begins to explain loudy that I have been trying to do something with myself but the last time I did I got sick and gave up. Why was she discussing my weight with everyone, so embarrassing. She said she must have fluid. WTH?

Oh yea, one more, my Dad would call down and leave a message on the answering machine saying How Many Sandwiches have you eaten today and laughing.
  • NessaWilde
    NessaWilde Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Edited out double post.
  • NessaWilde
    NessaWilde Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's pretty disgusting the way doctors and nurses talk to/treat fat patients. It's one thing to say "you might want to think about losing weight," or to talk about specific measurements like blood pressure or heart rate, but doctors who shame and mock their patients should have their licenses revoked.

Totally agree.

I am still mildly phobic about doctors "thanks" to my childhood physician who would always talk to my mom, never me (even when I was 11 years old and very outgoing & smart for my age). He would tell my mom that I was obese and stuff like that. I was 5'6" and 130-140 lb which yeah, NOT normal size for a 10-11 yr old but really? Obese? That's pretty much perfectly weight/height proportional actually.

The last time I had a regular (non-gyno) medical checkup I still weighed around 280 and my doctor was awesome, plainly and calmly saying I should aim to lose about 30 lb at minimum, to avoid becoming pre-diabetic and such, and all of my bloodwork looked good, etc. When I told him I'd been walking a lot and lost over 20 lb but wanted to continue that he acted like he was so happy to hear it, and like he believed me. I got the feeling he would have handled it tactfully even if I did have some serious weight-related health issues, too. More doctors need to be like that. I'm more motivated by that than shaming and negative comments, that is for sure!!

I recently moved to a new city and I've been looking for a new GP/gyno... I can always tell who's had bad experiences with doctors and who hasn't based on their reaction when I tell them I wouldn't even consider a male doctor and would prefer a slightly overweight woman! Look at this thread there are a lot of people who mention that they avoid certain activities because of embarrassing experiences related to those activities, and it's sad when it's something fun like going to the beach, but it's downright scary when you think about how many people avoid/put off going to the doctor because they get treated badly there.

Exactly! It's one thing if I avoid the pool because I don't like how I look in a swimsuit. Kinda sucks, but ultimately no big deal. I also hate going to the doctor because of the pediatrition who told me I had to lose weight if I ever wanted anyone to love me. That's a pretty big deal. Avoiding checkups is dangerous!
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I had never wore big sizes before but was beginning to wear 1x tops, weighing 208 lbs. I asked a lady in a dept store where to find raincoats and she yells The Plus Stuff is Upstairs. How embarrassing for everyone to hear.

Also I had thin parents who were so mean to me about weight. I took parents out for their anniversary and had bought a cute jean dress and was feeling good and we were at the restaurant and I paid for everything and got balloons and stuff, made it cute and made a comment to my Dad how nice he looked and he was no nice and tall and he said yes, and I have this short and dumpy daughter! I felt awful all evening.

Another time I was out with these parents (which as you can see pretty emotionally abusive) My Mom keeps yelling at the restaurant to my Dad, don't say anything to her about her weight and let her eat that pie very loud and everyone heard.

My two brothers came in from out of town,we are all adults and it was at a restaurant, and my Mom begins to explain loudy that I have been trying to do something with myself but the last time I did I got sick and gave up. Why was she discussing my weight with everyone, so embarrassing. She said she must have fluid. WTH?

Oh yea, one more, my Dad would call down and leave a message on the answering machine saying How Many Sandwiches have you eaten today and laughing.

Wow, I can't imagine how much those things have hurt you and I am sure there were many more instances! Parents of all people should be loving and accepting of their children, no matter the circumstances! I really feel for you that the place/people you should feel the most comfortable with in you life were so emotionally abusive!!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later, and add my own.
  • briana12077
    briana12077 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    So quick story: i was on a swing and it broke! that sucked :(

Another was when I was on a roller coaster and me and my friend were trying to put the seatbelt on and the it wouldn't fit and the guy who comes around to make sure we are strapped in told me to "just suck it in real quick" and while me and my friend laughed for quite a while it was harsh :(
  • briana12077
    Options
    It's pretty disgusting the way doctors and nurses talk to/treat fat patients. It's one thing to say "you might want to think about losing weight," or to talk about specific measurements like blood pressure or heart rate, but doctors who shame and mock their patients should have their licenses revoked.

Totally agree.

I am still mildly phobic about doctors "thanks" to my childhood physician who would always talk to my mom, never me (even when I was 11 years old and very outgoing & smart for my age). He would tell my mom that I was obese and stuff like that. I was 5'6" and 130-140 lb which yeah, NOT normal size for a 10-11 yr old but really? Obese? That's pretty much perfectly weight/height proportional actually.

The last time I had a regular (non-gyno) medical checkup I still weighed around 280 and my doctor was awesome, plainly and calmly saying I should aim to lose about 30 lb at minimum, to avoid becoming pre-diabetic and such, and all of my bloodwork looked good, etc. When I told him I'd been walking a lot and lost over 20 lb but wanted to continue that he acted like he was so happy to hear it, and like he believed me. I got the feeling he would have handled it tactfully even if I did have some serious weight-related health issues, too. More doctors need to be like that. I'm more motivated by that than shaming and negative comments, that is for sure!!

Ugh I agree. When I was younger (like under 10) my doctors would tell my mom I was obese right in front of me and were not nice about it. They would treat my mom like crap about how she was feeding me and everything and make me feel horrible about myself. I was shamed. I would freak about going to the doctors my whole life (and still do sometimes) for any reason whatsoever. I feel like if I say I have any problem they will take one look at me and diagnose me as fat instead of figuring out if there is a real problem. I hate doctors.
  • briana12077
    Options

Oh man!!! My parents have had some messups where they made me feel pretty awful myself. I don't think they meant it but it sucks. One time at the store buying school clothes (when I was much younger and needed mom to help me) she got so angry because none of the jeans were fitting me and she was like yelling in the dressing room about it and trying to force them on me. Then she drags me out of the dressing room and very loudly exclaims that she will just buy me sweat pants to wear to school. And yes... I wore sweatpants to school. That went well with the other kids.
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Running into an ex after not seeing each other, I'd gained 25-30 pounds but I'm 5'1 so that's A LOT on my frame. He didn't even recognize me at the time. When we ran into each other again at the same event he said "Wow...you're huge...I mean wow....". :noway:

Welcome to my world....I've gained 63 pounds in 18 months, and every time I run into an ex, its torture......I can just see it in their eyes, they cant believe whats happned to me......
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    Running into an ex after not seeing each other, I'd gained 25-30 pounds but I'm 5'1 so that's A LOT on my frame. He didn't even recognize me at the time. When we ran into each other again at the same event he said "Wow...you're huge...I mean wow....". :noway:

Welcome to my world....I've gained 63 pounds in 18 months, and every time I run into an ex, its torture......I can just see it in their eyes, they cant believe whats happned to me......

That's why he is an X, such meanness, who needs him, he will just go treat someone else mean!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Totally agree.

Ugh I agree. When I was younger (like under 10) my doctors would tell my mom I was obese right in front of me and were not nice about it. They would treat my mom like crap about how she was feeding me and everything and make me feel horrible about myself. I was shamed. I would freak about going to the doctors my whole life (and still do sometimes) for any reason whatsoever. I feel like if I say I have any problem they will take one look at me and diagnose me as fat instead of figuring out if there is a real problem. I hate doctors.

YES! I can relate to that so much. I've also heard so many horror stories from acquaintances about doctors refusing to treat them due to morbid obesity, and those people were not much (if any) heavier than I was at the time...so I was terrified to find a new doctor and would get recommendations from fellow overweight friends and family only. Ridiculous, really.

One thing that really helped me, honestly, is owning a scale finally. I refused to own a scale until March when I joined MFP. I am 37 years old and never owned a scale 'til then, but it actually empowers me. I used to walk into the doc office extra scared, not knowing if I was around 260 or 310 really...now I know exactly what I weigh.
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Someone I know tried on a dress that didn't fit her in the largest size as it's a little fitting and she said you could see everything in it, so when about a week later she heard I had bought that exact dress (didn't know she tried it) she said, well she must have an extra large as it didn't fit me... I told her I got a medium and she didn't believe me! Not sure if that's an offense or if it's a laugh for me, still deciding:)

Also she always makes comments about my weight and a couple weeks ago she went to her mother (oma) and oma made a comment on the persons weight, she was so terribly offended and said a person should never do that to someone, meanwhile that's what she does all the time lol, little ironic!
  • allamitin01
    allamitin01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    here is my two cents. (it's kind of opposite to your “pregnant” stories but still falls under this topic, I think)…

I’ve never been super heavy, rather slightly heavier than other girls around. When I got pregnant and through my pregnancy I’ve lost so much weight that I was wearing the same cloths I wore before and my jeans fitted me like a glove. I have no clue why i was losing as I ate enough and my baby and I were perfectly healthy.

Anyways, here’s my story – when I was in my ninth month I was out shopping (I had so much energy that I had to spend it during the day, otherwise my husband could find me at night moving furniture around) and I met my distant relative who didn’t know I was pregnant. I was talking to her for about an hour and she never guessed that I was 9 months pregnant!!! I was bad enough not to tell her either ;) when my son was about three months old I met her again and she asked me whose baby it was and when I replied “mine” she passed out.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MakaylaRae4
    Options
    Since I was about 14 (I'm now 19, turning 20) I managed to hover around the same, albeit overweight, size. This summer I took on my first 8-4 desk job and I was really excited because that meant I could learn to roller skate and skateboard after work and I could go for long walks with my boyfriend (who also worked similar hours at the same place) and I could do all this healthy stuff. I really thought I was doing well, compared to my past two food service jobs where I never had free time to do anything because of weird shifts.

By the end of the summer I had to go to multiple doctors appointments because I could not figure out what was going on with my back - it hurt so much! When I had that first doctor's appointment, I had the shock of my life - over the summer where I thought I was eating healthier and being more active, I'd gained 20 pounds and had the usual back problems that occur with obesity, desk jobs, and unhealthy living habits. Two more appointments purely because I couldn't believe that any of this was true, and finally two regular painkilling medications later, I was scared into losing weight. (To be fair, I was also on a new type of birth control and ended up with a four week period because it messed up on me, which is a very probably cause of my weight gain.)

And of course I needed to tell my family this as well as my boyfriend - super embarrassing after a summer of bragging that I've been walking and skate boarding and roller skating. That's my embarrassing moment that motivates me to lose weight.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    here is my two cents. (it's kind of opposite to your “pregnant” stories but still falls under this topic, I think)…

I’ve never been super heavy, rather slightly heavier than other girls around. When I got pregnant and through my pregnancy I’ve lost so much weight that I was wearing the same cloths I wore before and my jeans fitted me like a glove. I have no clue why i was losing as I ate enough and my baby and I were perfectly healthy.

Anyways, here’s my story – when I was in my ninth month I was out shopping (I had so much energy that I had to spend it during the day, otherwise my husband could find me at night moving furniture around) and I met my distant relative who didn’t know I was pregnant. I was talking to her for about an hour and she never guessed that I was 9 months pregnant!!! I was bad enough not to tell her either ;) when my son was about three months old I met her again and she asked me whose baby it was and when I replied “mine” she passed out.

My best friend has always been about 5'3" and 150-160 lb. So a little bit overweight with a bit of a belly, but not a "big girl"...she has three kids, and with her third, NO ONE knew she was pregnant unless she told them. The way she carried her son was just really low and small and not noticeable, although both mom & child were healthy and he weighed almost 9 lb at birth. She found out after having him that a couple of women in her neighborhood who KNEW about her pregnancy just thought she had miscarried midway through, but didn't want to say anything!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Watching one of the first episodes of a new season, my kids told me to try out for the Biggest Loser. I was/am a size 12. Not sure if that should be motivation or just plain insulting. Scary to think they see me as that big, seeing how I was just happy to be able to shop not in the big ladies section anymore. Speaking of which, I am (again) a size Large/12. I went bathing suit shopping this summer, and I never shop. With limited time, I asked an worker where the suimsuits are, they directed me to the plus size department. Okay, this is depressing, maybe I'm wearing the wrong clothes if everyone thinks I'm 1-3 sizes bigger then I am. Sheesh.

My daughter recently told me I should be on the show Extreme Weight Loss. I'm 5'10" and 189 - so I am overweight but not huge - though I usually feel like I am. I lost 100 pounds a few years ago and she looks at pictures of me then so I don't know if that's the "me" she was referring to? Or if she just said it because I am talking about losing weight and exercise? Or because I am constantly bringing up why we eat certain foods and don't eat others all thet ime.........

I feel your pain on that one.

For the Extreme Weight Loss - from the way you said it, It sounds as if she meant because you've already lost an extreme amount of weight and are a success story. I'm thinking you can take that one as a compliment.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest, the largest part of me was my butt.
    I knocked things down regularly with my butt when squeezing through tight spaces. It's like my butt had a mind of its own.
    Very embarrassing in stores and at restaurants. It even knocked little children down:-(
    Now, I really delight in comfortably walking anywhere no matter how small the space or aisle.

Oh noooooooooo!
    That must have been mortifying for you!
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Grade ten English.

As soon as I sat down on the chair at my desk, I knew it was already broken because it was rocking back and forth. I figured it would be embarrassing switching chairs, so I decided to stay as still as possible. At one point, the teacher said "It will be a sninch" instead of "cinch" and as I bellowed in laughter at his innocent mistake chair crumbled, sending me to ground with it.

I was DEATHLY embarrassed. But the only people who laughed were my friends, one of which yelled out "get that guy a crate". He was only dude fatter than me in class so I let him get away with it.

LOVE. YOUR. TICKER!!!!