Do you have a strategy for Thanksgiving yet?

Options

Replies

• sd_dilligaf
    sd_dilligaf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It is the day after Wednesday. The plan applies, the calerie count applies, the nutritional balance applies. This is one way to understand what "Lifestyle change" really means.
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Those all sound very good! I am going to eat 100 cals less each day up til Thanksgiving the week of, go to the gym M-TH (yes, on thanksgiving!) and since I am going to a restaurant for thanksgiving I will have alot of choices I am sure. So my goal is to load up on salad and any other veggies, eat the items I totally want and I could say at any amount I want but I will be moderate :), not eat the things I am just so-so on (like Mashed Potatoes..I know that horrifies most ppl)..anyhow...create a bigger deficit throughout the week with diet and exercise and pretty much eat what I want..have a great turkey day!

This is a great strategy! I especially like the part about eating 100 fewer calories each day during the week of Thanksgiving.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm sticking to my traditional family recipes, which means high fat and high caloric dishes, however my step daughter I are planning a 2.5 mile run that moring after we put the food in the oven and a "Just Dance" - dance-off with the family that evening. . . that is if we don't fall asleep after that triptophan overdose :laugh:

I'm planning on resting on Friday, but Sat & Sunday, it's all hands on deck for decorating for the holday, so that will burn off some turkey running a round. It's the holidays. I enjoy them.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    - I will not waste stomach room or calories on things I don't care about like gravy, dinner rolls, or green bean casserole.
    - I will have my cocktails and not worry about it. I can't wait to sip on a glass of red wine!
    - I will remind myself of how far I've come, and that stuffing myself beyond full will only make me feel crappy for the afternoon, where as making healthy choices will leave me feeling better.
    - I will remember that ONE meal won't make or break anything!

This! Especially the part about not eating the green bean casserole. That has been banned from my house. And the part abouit the wine. Love red wine.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I plan to enjoy the heck out of Thanksgiving, and that means lots and lots of real butter. It goes in everything, and this is not the time to try the "light" gravy. It will be within reason, my portions will be smaller, and I will stop when I'm full

However, in an attempt to not un-do the last 9 months of hard work, I am being very strict on what I am consuming up to that yummy, delicious, fat-calorie-sodium filled day. I like to "treat" myself a few times a week. A cookie here, some ice cream there. I'm a sucker for cheddar popcorn. I am on snack and treat restriction until Thanksgiving. Just today I was craving a slice of pizza from a working lunch. Instead I munched on baby carrots, an apple and a turkey wrap. No it was not as satisfyingly decadant as the pizza. But if I want the mashed potatoes and gravy and stuffing and pie and rolls on Thanksgiving, I have to be good now. Who knows, I may be drop some unexected weight.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I will be eating lite the day before and the day after, and i will also be doing extra exercise those days aswell. But thats just my way of enjoying the holiday.

If i was not able to eat less and exercise more those days I would fill up on turkey and eat very small portions of the unhealthy sides and desserts.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Doing an extra workout, eating a light breakfast and eating dessert first.

Newbie here :) Why are you eating dessert first?

Why not?
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I plan on focusing on eating less days before and the day of exercising and drinking plenty of water. I plan on eating what I want within reason. I do not plan on making a plate for the next day. May take some desserts to freeze individually for single servings. I don't do cheat days either.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating a little bit of everything, just not stuffing myself beyond stuffed. I don't do the cooking so I can't modify recipes or menu or anything.
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am hosting Thanksgiving at our house tomorrow for the first time ever. (When your in the hospitality industry Holidays never happen on the exact day) I am cooking a turkey, homemade mashed potatoes, box stuffing, green bean casserole and rolls that come from the tube. Im not much of a made from scratch kinda gal so the easier the better. Plus I can track all that stuff easier too. I will have a light breakfast and then wait till dinner to indulge. All of it is scheduled to fit into my daily calories and most importantly will have wine and pie. This might make me go over but oh well totally worth it. Ive done pretty darn good over the past few months so 1 day isn't gonna hurt me.
  • Lindsay_1984
    Lindsay_1984 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    - I am not going to track anything on MFP but I am going to try and eat sensibly and not stuff myself (because that would just make me feel like crud anyway)

- I am going to fill up 1 plate with a big portion of turkey covered in gravy, medium size portions of veggie dishes, and small portions of the high-carb dishes. 1 dinner roll.
    - 1 slice of pie for dessert
    - Go for a walk afterwards
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Doing an extra workout, eating a light breakfast and eating dessert first.

Newbie here :) Why are you eating dessert first?

because life is short. and dessert is fracking delicious.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It is the day after Wednesday. The plan applies, the calerie count applies, the nutritional balance applies. This is one way to understand what "Lifestyle change" really means.

This^^^^
  • rie_q
    rie_q Posts: 73
    Options
    We don't celebrate Thanksgiving where I am, but Christmas is a big feast day... And with my family, it's high-fat high-sugar foods and alcohol from dawn until... next dawn. Christmas Day followed by boxing day - it's a two-day event in my family, since we rarely all get together! Food, drink and family are important to me, and it's important for me to be able to indulge on these days... So I will do so!
  • robinb07
    robinb07 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat within moderation and eat what I want. I'm going to enjoy the day and then get back on track on Friday.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Boston for the holiday (Tuesday-Saturday). I've never been there and want to be able to enjoy everything. I'm bringing my yoga mat and my running shoes and plan to get a little of each in each day. But, I'm also trying to be hyper diligent this week. No snacks and limit sugar even more so than I usually do.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Yes. Exercise. Eat. :drinker:
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My plan for Thanksgiving is to eat and enjoy, be thankful and spend time with family!

However, Thanksgiving is one day/meal. I plan to stay on point before/after, not binge for a week or two. ;)
  • randysbombshellgirl
    Options
    What a great plan I give you big props for that!!! My plan is running s 5 mile race in the morning and eating what I want but in smaller portions. Then after the meal (and clean up) taking a brisk walk. Hopefully this will keep the inevitable gain somewhat reasonable. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    It's one day...i didn't get fat because of a holiday, birthday, or other special OCCASION...I got fat because I treated everyday like a holiday and didn't move.

I will be enjoying the day. I'm not going to eat to the point of being sick, but I'm not going to worry about how many calories I'm eating and I'm not doing some random unplanned exercise either. I have a planned lifting session the day before and I have a planned long ride the Saturday after. Basically I'm going about business as usual.

QFT

thanksgiving can be stressful enough without having to worry about going over my calories. Maybe I'll guesstimate my intake but I'll probably be too drunk to do so and I'm perfectly ok with that. Next day will be business as usual. ONE DAY isn't going to do anything significant. Enjoy the day with your loved ones, eat all the foods and be happy