evening binging

Options

Replies

• vanillaminus
    vanillaminus Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm the same!! I do so well during the day and then the night comes and I stuff my face with whatever I find in the fridge...
    :sad:
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    The after dinner eating is a problem for me. Had it in check for a while but now it's back. If you've got some suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Eric
  • MrsSDolan
    MrsSDolan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yep.... I'm a binger too :-( trying to exercise instead of reaching for chocolate in the evenings, it's very hard x
  • nvconservative
    nvconservative Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm going to send everyone here a friend request! I'm struggling with this too... trying desperately to stay on track and looking for lots of support!
  • anitadmonet
    anitadmonet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is great to see. I would love to be a part of the group and receive new friend requests. Night eating and daily treadmill encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
  • hmseals77
    hmseals77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with binge eating at night after the hubby and kids go to bed. I will even sometime eat in the middle of the night if I get up with one of my kids, but I don't do it like I use to. Feel free to add me as a friend :smile:
  • Letje_Lux
    Options
    Things that help me:

Cutting back on alcohol - It messes up my judgement and causes cravings.

Tea - I can sometimes drink 2-3 cups at night. Caffeine free of course.

Pickles - Low cal and satisfies the crunchy/salt cravings.

Sunflower seeds (in shell) - if you really just want to sit and eat something for a while, it takes forever to eat sunflower seeds in the shell. The most I've done is a whole pack. Afterwards I was throughly tired of it.. but it was only 180 calories.

Almond milk with a scoop of protein powder - If I'm craving sweets.

If it's really bad, I engage in psychological warfare. lol

Write down all the reasons why you want to lose weight. It sounds dumb but it works.

Look at fat pictures of yourself.

Look at pictures of people who have your ideal body.

Try on your goal jeans.
  • driii123
    driii123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I too am a terrible binger. I am pretty good all day and then it all goes to h*ll. I figure if I even go over by 10 cals I am over so I may as well make it count and I can't stop myself. Last night was so bad I stopped logging. Would LOVE to be able to beat this.
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be friend with everyone here. I struggled with this for years, lately it's better. For me, I started eating throughout the day about 5-6 meals, full of protein. At night, I eat my dinner, maybe make tea and shut off my kitchen light (I live in a studio so the kitchen is right there in the open!! lol).
    Of course sometimes my brain just takes me to the kitchen for no good reason, but I fight it. I stopped craving sugar and treats , i used to be the Queen of Sugar Binges, so I'm definitely on the right track but not perfect of course. I struggle with bingeing as well, so I feel it's all connected. I'd love to connect with you all!!
    best
    Miriam
  • frgprncss
    Options
    That's interesting. My Dr. is very holistic, and she first suggested getting allergens and food sensitivities out of my diet. Getting rid of wheat was like stopping an addiction. It was very hard. First I substituted wheat products for gluten free equivalents, then I continued to binge right along at night for a while. Soon, I noticed I just wasn't doing it much anymore, and I sort of quit buying and eating cookies and other substitutes, and it actually became easy. I rarely make some gluten free cookies, and have an occasional candy, but that's it, now. This process has taken since 4/28/13. Weight did not fall off me, but sticking to my diet is easier. I keep a symptom journal because I feel good, and then cheat. I have to go back and read my notes on why I never want to eat that stuff again. Just for the record, I am also allergic to turkey, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, nuts, chocolate, and other stuff :-(
  • frgprncss
    Options
    I'd like to be friend with everyone here. I struggled with this for years, lately it's better. For me, I started eating throughout the day about 5-6 meals, full of protein. At night, I eat my dinner, maybe make tea and shut off my kitchen light (I live in a studio so the kitchen is right there in the open!! lol).
    Of course sometimes my brain just takes me to the kitchen for no good reason, but I fight it. I stopped craving sugar and treats , i used to be the Queen of Sugar Binges, so I'm definitely on the right track but not perfect of course. I struggle with bingeing as well, so I feel it's all connected. I'd love to connect with you all!!
    best
    Miriam

Great advice on the small protein meals. This helps me, too.
  • Foxtrot2N
    Foxtrot2N Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Good to know we're not alone. Night binging has always been a problem and after staying on track for 7 months my first backslide was after-dinner cravings. It seems like once I run out of other things to do with my hands they just keep trying to grab food. I'm going to try the pre-prepped veggies but I need to find some more lo-cal, diabetic friendly snacks. I think part of the relapse was just tastebud burnout. A little variety and a routine shake-up seem in order. Good job and good luck everyone!!
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    No allergies here. I have been tested. So going for a more non-food approach I have listened to Deepak Chopra.
    STOP - Stop what you are doing - so no impulsive eating. Take a deep breathing break - to clm down. Observe your hunger level on a scale from 1 to 5 with 5 being famished. Proceed with awareness, and you might find you choose not to eat.

Here is the meditation to go with the STOP:
    What do you want?
    a joyful energetic body
    a restful alert mind
    a lightness of soul/being

I will post some more later.

Good luck ladies. How are you doing?
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Good to know we're not alone. Night binging has always been a problem and after staying on track for 7 months my first backslide was after-dinner cravings. It seems like once I run out of other things to do with my hands they just keep trying to grab food. I'm going to try the pre-prepped veggies but I need to find some more lo-cal, diabetic friendly snacks. I think part of the relapse was just tastebud burnout. A little variety and a routine shake-up seem in order. Good job and good luck everyone!!

Maybe this will help choosing foods that will satisfy your cravings in a balanced, thoughtful way, from deepak again.
    Looking for foods that are nourishing your body without overdoing how much you eat:

SWEET - nurturing yourself or nauseating yourself if eat too much (milk protein 2% milk)
    SALTY - enthusiasm or aggravating if too much (water rich foods like watermelon)
    SOUR - stimulating or critical if too much (lemons, berries)
    BITTER - strength or resentment if too much (broccoli, peppers, spinach, raw vegys at each meal)
    ASTRIHGENT - dry wit or cynical, skeptical (add pomegranate, cranberries to water, salad, yogurt)
    PUNGENT - passion, spice of life - or hostility,
    to calm - choose from sweet sour, salt
    to cool - choose from bitter sweet astringent
    to stimulate, bitter punch astringent

I am finding meaningful info from Deepak and might get his new book. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • livingpaperdoll1
    Options
    Wow. It was a relief to read through this thread. It's good to know I'm not alone. I'm a compulsive eater at night. I eat Vegan, and I'm allergic to wheat, (haven't eaten it in almost 3 yrs) BUT I can still find things to over eat at night!!!!! I have emptied my house of everything I thought would trigger my night eating, only to find something else. My family is trying so hard to support me. I would love to add you all on my friends list. Having support would be helpful!!!
  • jamie88moore
    jamie88moore Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    VERY GOOD!!!!
  • jamie88moore
    Options
    GOOD MORNING EVERYONE....WOW YOU ALL ARE ALSO A INSPIRATION TO ME......IM DOING GREAT AT NIGHT....EXCEPT I MADE FUDGE YESTERDAY AND OVER DID IT DURING THE DAY...SO ALTHOUGH WE MIGHT OVERCOME THE NIGHT...THEN WE DO IT DURING THE DAY....SO IM SEEING MY PATTERN AND THEN I WILL BE REALLY ON THE ROAD...IM GOING TO DOCTOR TODAY TO SEE WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH MY HORMONES....TALK TO YOU GUYS SOON....
  • nikki_tjinadjie
    Options
    I promise that eating more through out the day, like a big breakfast will help. A lot of people restrict throughout the day and end up caving into their cravings at night and it turns into a binge!
  • AniaFi
    AniaFi Posts: 18
    Options
    hey, I must admit it´s not easy for me to refrain from eating a second supper at 10 or even 11 pm. This terrible habit of late evening eating tends to ruin my successful daytime efforts and keeping diet regime. What´s more it ruins all the efforts I put into regular excercise. Would be more than happy and thankful if you accepted my FR.
  • jamie88moore
    Options
    HEY LOVE...CONGRATS ON YOUR SOBRIETY AND YES IT IS SUPER HARD FOR US....HOPE YOU STAY WITH US AND TELL US WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!! WITH RECOVERY AND YOUR FOOD!!!!