Not losing...need advice

Options

Replies

• jfassas
    jfassas Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try avoiding carbs and sugar after 6pm.... Any work out is better than none.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Not losing weight? Eat fewer calories than you were before.

It's really, really simple. :drinker:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

yes, because everyone knows sugar and carbs can tell time...
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

You should know, look at what carbs have done to you. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Looking all skinny and toned.
    damn carbs :grumble: :grumble:
  • eksero2k
    eksero2k Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Why?
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Ok, well I will take a guess at BW, and say 150 lbs.
    Height at 5'5"
    That would be about (for no exercise) 1600 calories for your TDEE
    Your BMR is ~1350

So that being said, your
    fat == ~0.4gr/lb body weight == ~60 gr <-minimum
    protein == ~0.6 - 0.8gr/lb body weight == 90gr - 120gr
    Your carbs can be whatever you wish to make up the remainder of your calories, so ~90 gr would be 360 calories.

Actually I'm 5'6" and 167 (150 is my ideal, but I haven't seen that since before I had my kids). My BMR is 1522. But I do appreciate the macro break down:)

Oh, well, 1522 is much better. You should be losing at 1440/day. Perhaps, it is in your estimates. If you are properly measuring and being honest, then, theoretically, you should be losing. Btw, the Morningstar Farms products have tons of sodium in them. Could it be water retention?
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have been doing TDEE - 20% for calories and that's what has worked for me. The two sites below give me different numbers so I picked the one that was lower. You pick your exercise level too.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I do not recommend eating under your BMR for any sustained period of time. BMR represents the calories your body needs just for basic functioning. Most people don't feel very good if they eat under their BMR - tired, hungry, cranky.

To get a deficit, eat under your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) for your level of activity.

For your stats, I get:

BMR: 1522
    TDEE (sedentary): 1739

Eat between these numbers, and work out! Again, I think eating 1600 and burning 400 would be just about perfect for you. For me personally, I feel good eating over my BMR even if I net under it with exercise. You'll have less hunger, more energy, less stress and enjoy all the cardio benefits of the workout.

Good luck!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    No, not BMI, BMR...R...R! Basal Metabolic Rate. Check out the link provided to you, seriously.

And maybe you WERE averaging 1300-1400 calories per day, but, according to your logs, you've averaged 1440/day for the past 9 days. If your BMR is 1350, and your average is 1440, you're not eating at much of a deficit, kwim?

But, if you want to exercise, which IS a good thing, go ahead. That will put you in a deficit, too, provided you don't eat all of those calories back.

Someone asked about my BMI which is why I posted, but I did respond with my BMR which would be about 1566, so even if I did average 1400 daily I would have a deficit.

My bad. That did come out sounding mean. Sorry about that!
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You said that you don't eat prepackaged food and make your own meals- are you using a food scale to weigh your food?

ETA
    -The food scale really changed my life, no joke.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    The 5:2 plan works for me. Everyone is different but something you could try. Lots of books on Amazon and videos on Youtube on this topic. Tons of research done on it too. The thing I like about it is the flexibility it offers. Good luck.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Unless you are weighing your food, you cannot know how much you are eating.
  • tamiootz
    Options
    The thing that jump started my weight loss was giving up wine (which I see you had to do as well, yes I hated to give that up too) and drinking a ton of water and just water. With the water I find I'm not as hungry and helps me stay focused eating right. I find that if I don't have much time to exercise during the week, then on weekends I will get in about 2-3 hours of exercise. Everyone is different on how they lose weight, so the only advice I could really give you is don't give up, just think how you will feel and look when you lose the extra weight . I know that it took me a couple of years to become overweight and I know that it may take just as long to get back in to shape but I know that it will be worth it in the end.
  • Jojupiter
    Jojupiter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was going into Nutritional Ketosis. I am now eating around 2000 calories per day and am still losing weight at a rapid rate. I am never hungry, and sometimes have to force myself to get enough calories in every day. Some of us just can't handle the carbs - you may be one of us. Read "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living". If you want to friend me, you are welcome to see what I eat every day.
    Please, those of you who are carb-lovers, respect that your way may not work for everyone, even though it works for you, and save your responses to me. I'm sticking with this, and if it helps the OP, that's all that matters to me. Thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • angie007az
    Options
    Ok, well I will take a guess at BW, and say 150 lbs.
    Height at 5'5"
    That would be about (for no exercise) 1600 calories for your TDEE
    Your BMR is ~1350

So that being said, your
    fat == ~0.4gr/lb body weight == ~60 gr <-minimum
    protein == ~0.6 - 0.8gr/lb body weight == 90gr - 120gr
    Your carbs can be whatever you wish to make up the remainder of your calories, so ~90 gr would be 360 calories.

Actually I'm 5'6" and 167 (150 is my ideal, but I haven't seen that since before I had my kids). My BMR is 1522. But I do appreciate the macro break down:)

Very well then, carry on

Why post?

Why post what? I was looking for advice to see where I may be going wrong or if there is something else I need to do (besides the obvious of working out).

It's 85% diet. :-)
  • angie007az
    Options
    The thing that jump started my weight loss was giving up wine (which I see you had to do as well, yes I hated to give that up too) and drinking a ton of water and just water. With the water I find I'm not as hungry and helps me stay focused eating right. I find that if I don't have much time to exercise during the week, then on weekends I will get in about 2-3 hours of exercise. Everyone is different on how they lose weight, so the only advice I could really give you is don't give up, just think how you will feel and look when you lose the extra weight . I know that it took me a couple of years to become overweight and I know that it may take just as long to get back in to shape but I know that it will be worth it in the end.

I agree. Liquor is a diet killer.
  • musicboxes
    musicboxes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I find water is the key for me. I have learned that my daily water intake definitely affects my weight loss. The more I drink, the faster my weight comes off. I know when I am drinking enough water & when I'm not as it shows on the scale. I know I'm not drinking enough water everyday & I am working on that. Hope this helps.

I have read to drink half your weight in ounces per day.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Can you and the family go on a 30 minute walk after dinner each night to get in some extra exercise? Also sometimes eating a little more than 1200 can help your metabolism as well. Make sure you are drinking at least 2 liters of water a day and try to cut out sodium/ artificial sweeteners and stuff like that can cause water retention...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You never answered the question - are you weighing your food? If not, that's probably your problem, not that you're goal is too low or too high or that you're eating the 'wrong' foods.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

LMAO..the joy of sarcastic people.....:drinker: