The sabotaging partner

Options

Replies

• tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Well, if he sees you stop eating before he does and then says "We're growing apart," then yeah, that is one messed-up dynamic and it's probably going to get worse before it gets better. Sorry. I don't know how to fix something that is that broken.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Dear OP - the more excuses you make, the longer, further, tougher, and more discouraging it to work towards your goal. That is all.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    And thank you very much to the posters that understand where I am coming from. It is more than just him bringing it in front of me. It is the guilt trio I get for not eating it. The statements that we are "growing apart" if I try to not eat if I am full. I know he does not mean to but it is a switch. Once I have one chip I want the bag. It is like an addict they can;t just have one. You have to have an understanding of addiction to know where I am coming from!

Ouch he does sound manipulative. "Growing apart" for not eating? Hmmmm very odd sounds insecure.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Okay maybe I should have elaborated. When I tell him "no thank you" (bc I am totally not an idiot I knew this) He guilts me with BS. Lots and Lots of BS. I try to explain to him that food is like drugs to me. I have to stay away from it and get to a "clean" spot before I can reintroduce stuff. But when I suggest other things he makes me feel like I am just ruining his day. He says things like well you deserve a break or we don't get out much we deserve this! It makes me feel like I am wrong for trying to get healthy. So no he doesn't force feed me at gun point but he does bring it in front of me and pressures me into eating with him. I hope everyone understands that I know I can make my own choices and I do take responsibility for my choices. but If you have never struggled with addiction then it is hard to pass judgement.

Wow.
  • BeautyDoll
    BeautyDoll Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. When you're stronger and further along in your journey it will become more difficult for anything or anyone to take you off track. Stay the course and just try to do better each time. Yes we all make decisions but it can be difficult. Hang in there until you reject it easily.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Did your husband tie you to a chair and force that food in your mouth? No? Then do NOT blame him for your lack of discipline. That's wrong and uber childish.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    And thank you very much to the posters that understand where I am coming from. It is more than just him bringing it in front of me. It is the guilt trio I get for not eating it. The statements that we are "growing apart" if I try to not eat if I am full. I know he does not mean to but it is a switch. Once I have one chip I want the bag. It is like an addict they can;t just have one. You have to have an understanding of addiction to know where I am coming from!

Addiction? No.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as sabotage. You either make the right choices or you don't. I really don't think your husband, or anyone for that matter, sits around planning how to derail a person's new healthy life.
  • paulylovesme
    Options
    Hang in there. When you're stronger and further along in your journey it will become more difficult for anything or anyone to take you off track. Stay the course and just try to do better each time. Yes we all make decisions but it can be difficult. Hang in there until you reject it easily.

Thank you :)
  • jessiej1980
    Options
    You can do it. I totally understand where you are coming from. My hubby likes to make unhealthy food on the nights he cooks, after a long day at work it is hard for me to say I will make something else. Sometimes people DO plan to derail you for their own selfish reasons. Maybe he thinks if you lose weight you will find someone "better" or maybe for another reason....Maybe he is just being selfish himself when getting told no....eiether way..keep doing you because he will not make the changes for you, and he isnt living in your skin...he will either get over it or he wont. Where you go from there is up to you.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Bring something healthy with you when you go out. That way you won't be tempted and you'll still be eating with the family. Bring a protein bar, fruit like apple or a small bag of nuts when you go to the cinema. You'll still enjoy the movie and have something while they are enjoying popcorn and pop. Maybe it'll be a win-win situation for all. Just my suggestion. Don't give up on your diet and your family - that's all.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to say... It's a matter of self control and it's all on you and on no one else.
    The world doesn't stop turning because you are trying to lose weight. People will eat more and eat things you don't want to eat and you have to deal with it.

Simple, moderation, say no or eat something else.
    Unless someone ties you down and forces food down your throat then it's your job to remember how much you want to lose the weight and the choices you have to make to get the results you want.
  • paulylovesme
    Options
    Bring something healthy with you when you go out. That way you won't be tempted and you'll still be eating with the family. Bring a protein bar, fruit like apple or a small bag of nuts when you go to the cinema. You'll still enjoy the movie and have something while they are enjoying popcorn and pop. Maybe it'll be a win-win situation for all. Just my suggestion. Don't give up on your diet and your family - that's all.

Good suggestions thanks, J
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I like to eat out and tend to overeat without even realizing it, so I try to plan what I'm going to eat before we go out and see how much food I can "afford" to eat or I decide whether I'll only eat half and save the rest for tomorrow. I also order water (even though I love sweet tea). Thus far, I've successfully navigated a Puerto Rican wedding, several restaurants, and a very indulgent party without going over my calories OR being miserable OR limiting my boyfriend from the places he wants to eat. And, of course, I exercise a little bit more when I expect that my deficit will be challenged. :) Hang in there. You're not the only one!
  • paulylovesme
    Options
    The point was I am on a 30 day challenge to not eat out. He knew this and it caused a big fight Saturday bc he thought I should just make exception for him. He did not understand that I made this commitment and wanted to stick with it. At the same time I did not want to make him feel less important than a challenge. So I caved. How do I get him to not guilt me about things? That was my point! I know I am an adult and make my own choice but it is hard when someone is making you feel bad about what you are trying to accomplish. It is not like I am blaming him for the food I ate but I am blaming him for the guilt! He should have more compassion towards my goals. Just because I am trying to eat better doesn't mean he is less to me. How can I get him to realize my goals are important?
  • emilynw10
    Options
    When you and your husband have quality time together, does it always involve food? This is the rut that my husband and I got into. Whenever we'd go out... it would be to eat. Want to do something together when the kids are in bed? Pick up some junk food, beers, and a movie. Everything involved food. I couldn't eat out anymore because I was breastfeeding my son and he has multiple food allergies, and at one point my husband said, "We never spend time together anymore because you can't eat anything." I pointed out the absurdity of that statement (and the truth) and we changed our game plan.

So maybe your husband feels the same. Maybe he feels like the only things you can do together involve food and now that you're getting healthy, you're more interested in your new "hobby" (I know it's not a hobby) than him. He probably doesn't even realize it.

My advice: come up with things to do that don't involve food! My husband and I love to go for walks or long drives with no destination. Go to a movie with no popcorn (sneak in some healthy snacks if you can't watch a movie without food). Do some home improvement projects. That way your husband doesn't feel like your new lifestyle is shutting him out.
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    This isn't about weight loss. This is a relationship problem.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    I had a heart to heart with my hubby. I told him how important getting healthy is to me. I told him that it's hard when he offers me stuff I know I shouldn't be eating. I also told him to get used to me saying no a lot. I told him that sometimes I will enjoy a treat with him but just not as often. He told me that it is more of a habit based on the way we used to and since he isn't following the same "diet" as me he just had to get used to the changes. He wasn't trying to sabotage me like I thought. He is getting better and actually eats better just by seeing what I am doing. It was hard in the beginning and even gets hard now and I'm only 8 months in.

You can still eat the foods you mentioned. You just have to learn self control and find your voice. We have gone to eat at places that he chose and there was nothing healthy on the menu (not even a salad).....instead of eating something I knew I would regret, I had them make me a salad from all the hamburger toppings they had (lettuce, tomato, avocado and mushrooms. If you keep reminding yourself why you are doing this it will get easier.
  • paulylovesme
    Options
    He didn't force you to eat anything, so your going to have to learn discipline, will power and to just warrior the f**k up.

Although harshly honest ur response was helpful :) Ty
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    The point was I am on a 30 day challenge to not eat out. He knew this and it caused a big fight Saturday bc he thought I should just make exception for him. He did not understand that I made this commitment and wanted to stick with it. At the same time I did not want to make him feel less important than a challenge. So I caved. How do I get him to not guilt me about things? That was my point! I know I am an adult and make my own choice but it is hard when someone is making you feel bad about what you are trying to accomplish. It is not like I am blaming him for the food I ate but I am blaming him for the guilt! He should have more compassion towards my goals. Just because I am trying to eat better doesn't mean he is less to me. How can I get him to realize my goals are important?

People don't exude guilt, they feel guilt. So it's still on you. He cannot "make" you feel guilt unless you allow him that power over you. I'm not trying to be harsh, but realistic. And yes, I do understand that it is MUUUUCH harder to live it than it is to peek in from the outside and tell you this.

Does your partner sound manipulative...absolutely. However, remember you get to control how you act and react to every single thing that passes your way. It's the only thing we truly have control over. Use it. And, you know, maybe seek some counseling for your relationship. It sounds like a neutral third person might really help the communication issue.

edited for spelling :)