Am I doing Too Much Training?

Options

Replies

• ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    All my details from the fitbit are synced with MFP if i do any more in tense exercise in enter that on MFP.

I think your fitbit is counting the total energy expenditures you have in a day, from when you get up.to when you go to sleep. Right? This is what others referred to as tdee (ok im oversymplifying but just to make it clear ). When you tell mfp you are sedentary, it already counts with quite a bit of calories for your daily tasks and bmr, so if you add every step you have taken as measured by fitbit and put it on top of mfp allowance, you are counting it twice.

I would suggest putting your mfp setting as active and logging only the exercise you do for the purpose of burning calories. Or go to scooby calculator via Google and figure out your tdee, which would then give you a consistent number to go by every day without having to eat back any exercise calories.

I think this should help: -)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE? Activity level on MFP is set at sedentary and all activity is set by the fitbit unless it is extreme exercise like today where I did 1 hour of Body attack at the gym.
    It is fitbit adjustment.
    Cheers.

Why are you set to sedentary when you said you burn calories with your active job?
    I burn about 400 cals doing a really intensive hour of circuit training and 320 playing an hour of badminton.
    Your 1600 cals must include the cals you burn to breathe and stay alive, which is your BMR. Mine is about 1500 if I lay in my bed and did nothing all day. If you are already really fit you will burn less so maybe you burn 1200 plus a 400 cal workout?
    I eat approx 1800-2300 cals per day as I am in temporary maintenance. Which equals my BMR plus exercise. So I stay the same weight but because I lift heavy weights I lose fat and gain lean tissue.

Don't obsess about losing two kilos, go on what you see in the mirror and how you feel. I would reduce your cardio too, or drop it altogether in favour of interval training, but that's just my personal preference for building muscle and burning fat.

I use the the fitbit to enter all my activity as this is more accurate for me than guessing. if I do a big cardio workout I also enter that to MFP. I consider myself to be very cardio fit.

Yea it sounds like your gadget and your MFP setting are double counting some of your normal activity.

From your explanation of activity I would not say your are over training.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to burn that many calories???

No kidding. I don't even burn that much running a half-marathon! :huh:
  • tangy1
    tangy1 Posts: 16
    Options
    I love doing the amount of exercise (cardio & weights) I'm doing but want to make sure I'm eating enough.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are having issues with your gadget. There is no way you are burning 1600 cals from weightlifting and you would have to be running at a pretty good pace or for a long time to burn that much running.

What are you doing for cardio and lifting and how long?

ETA: Just for reference I burn about 630 calories for an hour of vigorous calisthenics and around 210 caloies for and hour of weightlifting.
    As an example. Yesterday I was up at 5am. Did 1hour les mills Body Attack which is a very high intensity cardio class. For the rest of the day I am constantly on my feet walking almost continuously while at work for 8 hours.
    Yesterday as an example I covered 22,000 steps and 17.55km, 80 min active minutes, 3786 cal. This is from my fitbit.

You don't get to count your everyday cals as extra. Your fitbit is counting your cals just from living and that is already included so you don't count those twice. Count your one hour of cardio. You are not over training at one hour if cardio
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Probably not. I train that much, but I'll take a break when my central nervous system feels like ****. It's pretty hard to over train if you have a good program even if you train hard as **** in the gym.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I am wondering what you all think as to if I am training to much? The reason for asking is I continuously have a lot of calories left over at the end of the day to consume, Although I feel I am full enough to not need anymore to eat. I feel really full.
    A quick snap shot. I am currently 83kg goal weight is 82kg. I am still soft around the stomach area.I wish to build definition and toning, I train 6 days a weeks as I enjoy it so much. Currently 3 days cardio & 3 days weights. I have been told I need to build more muscle mass to continue to loss the last stubborn fat areas around my stomach as muscle will burn more fat and I will continue to maintain a weight around the 82-84kg.
    Below is an average day on MFP.
    Goal 1640( this is to loss .5kg week), Food 1933, Exercise 1648 = 285 net. Calories remaining 1355. I continuously have over 1000 each day left over.
    Currently using a fitbit as a step and exercise counter.

It's most likely wrong that you are burning 1648 calories via exercise per day. And if it's right, it will self regulate soon. Meaning that you won't be able to continue doing it.
  • tangy1
    Options
    Hi All,
    I am wondering what you all think as to if I am training to much? The reason for asking is I continuously have a lot of calories left over at the end of the day to consume, Although I feel I am full enough to not need anymore to eat. I feel really full.
    A quick snap shot. I am currently 83kg goal weight is 82kg. I am still soft around the stomach area.I wish to build definition and toning, I train 6 days a weeks as I enjoy it so much. Currently 3 days cardio & 3 days weights. I have been told I need to build more muscle mass to continue to loss the last stubborn fat areas around my stomach as muscle will burn more fat and I will continue to maintain a weight around the 82-84kg.
    Below is an average day on MFP.
    Goal 1640( this is to loss .5kg week), Food 1933, Exercise 1648 = 285 net. Calories remaining 1355. I continuously have over 1000 each day left over.
    Currently using a fitbit as a step and exercise counter.

It's most likely wrong that you are burning 1648 calories via exercise per day. And if it's right, it will self regulate soon. Meaning that you won't be able to continue doing it.

Yesterdays tally above included a very vigorous 1 hour of body attack. MFP has this in the exercise charts at 500+ cal burned for the hour. I have a very active job, Always on my feet walk at a steady pace not a stroll. I only sit to eat lunch. yesterday I covered 22,000 step as the fitbit, So i don't stop while at work.
    Today I have covered 11,800 steps and have a few hours to go at work still.
    I was also informed by people using a fitbit regularly that I need to set MFP activity to sedatory and allow all activity to be updated with the fitbit.
  • tangy1
    Options
    Fitbits TDEE for the day today is 2957 calories at around 8pm. MFP is saying 1152 in FitBit calorie adjustment. Pretty sure all is accurate.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    1600 burn for weightlifting? What are you doing on the gym? Running a half marathon on a treadmill with a 45 plate strapped to your back?

:laugh:
  • robinsondel
    Options
    Personally, I don't use any gadgets. If I do start to use one, it will be an HRM. My reasoning behind this, and keep in mind, this is just my "feelings" on the subject, I'm by no means any kind of expert, just starting out really, but I refuse to count anything that is not specifically exercise. When I say exercise, I mean that I purposely exercised outside of "living". I do this, because I believe things you do everyday, like standing on your feet or walking, bending, crouching, etc, are not going to burn as much as a purposed movement. It seems to me that your body gets efficient at these motions that you do all day everyday and for me, I can't count those as anything more than TDEE. I spent 7 years as a Lowe's manager, and I can tell you from my personal experience, constantly being on my feet and running all over a 130k sq ft store, while intermittently throwing around lumber, sheet rock and 94lb bags of mortar, did nothing to make me lose weight. I did all day, everyday and it was just part of my TDEE. I'm not saying this is true for your, or for anyone else, but personally, I'd not count the all day fitbit calories.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your deficit is on the high side even adjusting for the potential Fitbit duplication. Given your stated goals of wanting to preserve or maybe even build a little muscle this is not optimal. At a body fat % of roughly 24 you are not obese (and as such have more to worry about in this regard.)

You are also making this waaaaaaaay too complicated. I think things like Fitbit are great for ensuring you keep general activity high but the whole calorie burn aspect of it is...meh.

I would suggest trying to average out your cals to about 2,300 - 2,500 a day (which accounts for your high level of activity so no need to worry about "eating back" exercise calories.) Some days you may eat more than that depending on how you feel, some days less but if it averages out to around that range over the week you will be fine.

Try this for 4 weeks keeping your training the same and see how you go (you have experience a short term spike in weight but that will go within this timeframe.)

If you are losing too fast then eat more, too slow then eat less.

Rinse.

Rpeat.
  • tangy1
    Options
    Sounds like your deficit is on the high side even adjusting for the potential Fitbit duplication. Given your stated goals of wanting to preserve or maybe even build a little muscle this is not optimal. At a body fat % of roughly 24 you are not obese (and as such have more to worry about in this regard.)

You are also making this waaaaaaaay too complicated. I think things like Fitbit are great for ensuring you keep general activity high but the whole calorie burn aspect of it is...meh.

I would suggest trying to average out your cals to about 2,300 - 2,500 a day (which accounts for your high level of activity so no need to worry about "eating back" exercise calories.) Some days you may eat more than that depending on how you feel, some days less but if it averages out to around that range over the week you will be fine.

Try this for 4 weeks keeping your training the same and see how you go (you have experience a short term spike in weight but that will go within this timeframe.)

If you are losing too fast then eat more, too slow then eat less.

Rinse.

Rpeat.

Good tip. My issue is I am struggling to eat anywhere near 2000 cal a day. Today for instance I'm at 1520cal for the day and i'm finished eating for the day as its evening time. I'm just not hungry for more food. I need to find more higher cal per gram foods. =)
  • ra86
    ra86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This one of these situations where I think you just have to step back and look at what you're saying, to realise that something in your calculations/process is seriously off.

You're saying that for a prolonged period, your body is sustaining itself on <300kcal per day. This wouldn't sustain a 4'5 sedentary female, never mind a 39-year-old male who trains at a high intensity every day. A few years ago, when I was only doing 2-3 workouts a week, I was on a 1200kcal diet. I felt awful, and it was unsustainable. 300kcal per day is an extreme starvation diet. This means that either you're hugely overestimating the intensity of your workouts (which people do all the time), or you're miscalculating the calories you eat. I could be wrong, but my initial guess is that you're doing both of these wrong, purely because your conclusion is so far out. Anyway it's up to you to figure out what's going on there, but there are plenty of people here to answer any questions you have.

As for losing the final KG(s), the most important thing to realise is that what you're doing isn't working. Even if you don't like any specific suggestion here, you need to do something else. My suggestion is that you spend 2-3 weeks gradually taking your calories up to around maintenance level, then shaking your training up. Instead of doing Body Attack every day (which your body might have gotten used to at this point), you could try doing a heavy weights session (45-60 mins), followed by a 15-20 min HIIT session 3-5 times a week. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Good tip. My issue is I am struggling to eat anywhere near 2000 cal a day. Today for instance I'm at 1520cal for the day and i'm finished eating for the day as its evening time. I'm just not hungry for more food. I need to find more higher cal per gram foods. =)

Depends what you want to achieve really. You could par down your cardio and not need to eat as much but then you will lose the numerous benefits cardio can provide.

Personally a high energy flux approach (essentially what athletes do - eat a lot and train a lot) will get you amazing results if you are consistent with it. So yeah, find some calorie dense food - I find cake does the trick ;)
  • tangy1
    Options
    This one of these situations where I think you just have to step back and look at what you're saying, to realise that something in your calculations/process is seriously off.

You're saying that for a prolonged period, your body is sustaining itself on <300kcal per day. This wouldn't sustain a 4'5 sedentary female, never mind a 39-year-old male who trains at a high intensity every day. A few years ago, when I was only doing 2-3 workouts a week, I was on a 1200kcal diet. I felt awful, and it was unsustainable. 300kcal per day is an extreme starvation diet. This means that either you're hugely overestimating the intensity of your workouts (which people do all the time), or you're miscalculating the calories you eat. I could be wrong, but my initial guess is that you're doing both of these wrong, purely because your conclusion is so far out. Anyway it's up to you to figure out what's going on there, but there are plenty of people here to answer any questions you have.

As for losing the final KG(s), the most important thing to realise is that what you're doing isn't working. Even if you don't like any specific suggestion here, you need to do something else. My suggestion is that you spend 2-3 weeks gradually taking your calories up to around maintenance level, then shaking your training up. Instead of doing Body Attack every day (which your body might have gotten used to at this point), you could try doing a heavy weights session (45-60 mins), followed by a 15-20 min HIIT session 3-5 times a week. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Im sorry where did I say I was eating 300 cal per day or doing body attack everyday?
  • carolinetayloruk
    carolinetayloruk Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I also get a large fitbit adjustment and sometimes struggle to eat all the calories back that day, i normally save them and use them at the weekend for a meal out etc.

For those saying its hard to imagine. My 20-30,000 step days go something like this

5.5 mile walk to work (i enjoy it, it's my me time)
    sit at my desk all morning
    30 min walk at lunchtime
    sit at desk all afternoon
    5.5 mile walk home

Gym 2-3 times a week where i do a mix of HIIT on the cross trainer or 30 mins treadmill (jog/brisk walk at incline mix) and some strength training.

Weekends normally involve a long walk somewhere or shopping (walking around lots again!)

I'm set to lightly active as I literally sit at my desk during the day, aside from toilet/drink breaks and my walks are specific walks as opposed to having a job that means i'm on my feet everyday and i regularly get over 1000 fitbit adjustment
  • ra86
    ra86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Im sorry where did I say I was eating 300 cal per day or doing body attack everyday?

You gave an example of a typical day on MFP:
    Goal 1640( this is to loss .5kg week), Food 1933, Exercise 1648 = 285 net

The net value is the amount of calories that your body has left to maintain itself. For the average male, this value should be between 2000-3000 If you did no exercise, and ate 285 calories, in a day, then your net value would be 285. That's roughly equivalent to what you say you're doing, and it's not sustainable.

About Body Attack, I read that you trained 6 days a week, and that you did Body Attack. Didn't realise you didn't do that for every workout. Regardless, if you want to get that extra KG, you have to acknowledge that what you're currently doing isn't working, otherwise you wouldn't be asking.

The other thing that I'm curious about is how you arrived at your target goal? Is it arbitrary, or did you use a formula to get your ideal weight? Are you factoring in the fact that you do weight training, and should therefore have some extra lean mass?
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

Open your diary.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

Goal 1640( this is to loss .5kg week), Food 1933, Exercise 1648 = 285 net

The net value is the amount of calories that your body has left to maintain itself. For the average male, this value should be between 2000-3000 If you did no exercise, and ate 285 calories, in a day, then your net value would be 285. That's roughly equivalent to what you say you're doing, and it's not sustainable.

If you'll look at the formula he listed there, I think you'll see that he's using the word "net" improperly and actually means "surplus."

He took in 1933 calories, fitbit says his TDEE is 1648 (which I don't believe, btw).