girls lifting heavy..?

Options

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    the SS book is one of the best sources of lifting information on the planet for a beginner.

Or anyone who lifts, IMHO.

I still go back and look it over from time to time even though I've never actually run the programme - It's just a wonderful book.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Title says lifting heavy, and I was wondering what do you girls consider to be heavy? Over body weight?

Lifting heavy isn't about the weight itself.

It's a rep range. Lifting heavy means you cannot lift it more than 5-8 times.

What is heavy for my friends when we deadlift- isn't even warm up weight for me. That doesn't mean it's NOT heavy for them.

Alright, I will re-phrase myself, what weights do you girls lift? (Ofc if it's not a secret.)

My lifts are currently at the following

BP=105lbs current goal is bw of 165
    Rows =110lbs
    Squat=140lbs
    OHP=80lbs
    DL = 190lbs

That is heavy for me atm. I started 11 weeks ago (not with empty bar but much lower weights) I have steadily progressed with no deloads atm.

Not doing squats right now due to a muscle pull not related to lifting.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Title says lifting heavy, and I was wondering what do you girls consider to be heavy? Over body weight?

What is heavy for my friends when we deadlift- isn't even warm up weight for me. That doesn't mean it's NOT heavy for them.

Alright, I will re-phrase myself, what weights do you girls lift? (Ofc if it's not a secret.)

I'm currently not in the heavy range (5-8 reps) since I'm doing my split and getting back into working out after an injury.
    But over the spring, pre-injury, I deadlifted 122.5# for 5 reps. Back squat was 105# for 5x5.
    Within the last month I've been cleared to deadlift and squat again. So it's 2x10x60 & 2x10x70 for deads (as of this AM) and squatting the bar for 3x10
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you're a beginner it's best to start with a full body routine, such as NROLFW or Stronglifts or Starting Strength, rather than a split. The inherent advantages of working with a split program that hits different muscles on different days really only benefit more intermediate to advanced users and even then only if they have more specific goals. Also, if the goal is fat loss then structuring your lifting around cardio is not required. If you want to do it, sure, but you can get a lot more "bang for your buck" in terms of calories burned with a compound based lifting program with some occasional cardio here and there to supplement it than primarily cardio with a split built around it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Everyone praises strong lifts, and I am not qualified to criticize, but are you kidding me with squat, Deadlift, and OHP all on the same day? If you can do that, you are not lifting heavy those are big movements that require full body motion. I can only do one of those exercises on a given day. Three of them in one, I would seriously be in the hospital after that workout.

I lift quiet heavy... and I have done 2 big compounds same day- I often do OHS + Bench the same day because I'm a masochist (actually I just hate benching so if I do OHS - it's like a treat/incentive)

I've squatted and Dead lifted in the same day too. It's possible. It sucks. But it's all about getting the most bang for your buck as possible. that would mean doing two whole bodies- but let's not kid ourselves- even though they use the whole body- dead is CLEARLY a bottom/back heavy- and OHP isn't.

it's fine. Do them on the same day. you won't die.

I agree with this. I do OHP, Squat and DL same day and I am not dead or injured from lifting.

ETA: And I am lifting heavy...190lb DL, 75lb OHP and 140lb squat is heavy for me...
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    the SS book is one of the best sources of lifting information on the planet for a beginner.

Or anyone who lifts, IMHO.

I still go back and look it over from time to time even though I've never actually run the programme - It's just a wonderful book.

Hi-jakc (sorry OP!): Which edition of SS do you suggest buying?

Amazon has the 3rd edition for 22.64$
    2nd edition for a very wide range of prices lol
    And the 1st edition as well for a range of prices.

Obviously there will be differences between the editions but does anyone know what they are and which edition is best?
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    need to come back later
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

Deadlift (sumo) 305
    Squat 315x4
    Bench 115
    Row 155
    OHP 3x70
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

LOL yes- that's the question you want to ask- but it's wildly irrelevant to be honest.

Max reps:
    Deadlift 285
    Bench 170
    OHP- 85
    Back Squat 185
    Front squat 155

Working sets 3-5 repsish
    (I typically pyramid lift so I work through a large range)
    Dead lifts 225-250
    Bench 135-150
    Front Squat 135
    OHP 60-70
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

DL 235
    Bench 115
    Squat 145
    Power Clean 185
    OHP 80

As JoRocka mentioned, it is irrelevant though :wink:

When I started the Bar itself was heavy for me :ohwell:
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    I need to come back and read this all later too lol, interesting to see other people's routines :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Everyone praises strong lifts, and I am not qualified to criticize, but are you kidding me with squat, Deadlift, and OHP all on the same day? If you can do that, you are not lifting heavy those are big movements that require full body motion. I can only do one of those exercises on a given day. Three of them in one, I would seriously be in the hospital after that workout.

I lift quiet heavy... and I have done 2 big compounds same day- I often do OHS + Bench the same day because I'm a masochist (actually I just hate benching so if I do OHS - it's like a treat/incentive)

I've squatted and Dead lifted in the same day too. It's possible. It sucks. But it's all about getting the most bang for your buck as possible. that would mean doing two whole bodies- but let's not kid ourselves- even though they use the whole body- dead is CLEARLY a bottom/back heavy- and OHP isn't.

I agree with this. I do OHP, Squat and DL same day and I am not dead or injured from lifting.

ETA: And I am lifting heavy...190lb DL, 75lb OHP and 140lb squat is heavy for me...

I can't imagine doing it for long though. I mean, this must be beginners level. Squat AND Deadlift? I just can't fathom. If you work to exhaustion on your squat, how can you even fathom deadlifting?

I dunno. Good for you. I can't fathom it.

When the weight got too heavy on all three, that's when I went to Wendler 5/3/1.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

I can't imagine doing it for long though. I mean, this must be beginners level. Squat AND Deadlift? I just can't fathom. If you work to exhaustion on your squat, how can you even fathom deadlifting?

Once a week I do Squat and DL on the same day. Mind you Squat is 3X5 and DL is 1X5
    So far so good, lifts are going up, when I stall for a while I will deload *shrugs*

I wouldn't do 3x5 on both same day though
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy is really relative... FTR my one rep maxes are 275 deadlift, 175 back squat, 80 OHP, 100 pendlay row, and 100 bench.

I am following Greyskull LP, so my schedule looks like this:

Week one:
    Sunday: Rest
    Monday: Bench 2x5, 1x5+; bench assistant including pendlay row at 3x5, and squat 2x5, 1x5+
    Tuesday: Rest/Cardio. I will usually do a light barbell complex and sled pushing up to 200# for my cardio.
    Wednesday: OHP 2x5, 1x5+, one arm rows, curls, and Deadlift at 1x5+ followed by three or four triple at that top weight.
    Thursday: Rest.
    Friday:Bench 2x5, 1x5+; bench assistant including pendlay row at 3x5, and squat 2x5, 1x5+
    Saturday: Cardio, so more sled pushes, complexes, or other HIIT type work that doesn't require a treadmill/elliptical

Week 2, swap bench with ohp and change the assistance work accordingly.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Currently working the following schedule:

M- Upper Body, go for a jog after.
    T - Lower Body
    W- Active Rest, but will do stairs or a light run
    Th-Upper Body, jog after
    F- Lower body
    Sat & Sun, active rest days...(and more than likely Sunday will find my @$$ parked on the couch with a good book, LOL)

Heavy for me - Squats @ 120, Bench @ 80, DL's @ 160. Of course "heavy" is relative...8 months ago an empty Oly bar was "heavy" for me.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Madcow's Intermediate version of Bill Starr's 5x5:

http://madcow.wackyhq.com/geocities/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

Wednesday is Squat and Dead day.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    And that author isnt as douchey as Medhi is (if ypu get his emails or follow him on FB, hes such a d!ck)

I dont think he is douchey... he just tells it how it is and does not sugar coat anything is all. *Shrugs* :)
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    And that author isnt as douchey as Medhi is (if ypu get his emails or follow him on FB, hes such a d!ck)

I dont think he is douchey... he just tells it how it is and does not sugar coat anything is all. *Shrugs* :)

He writes for the majority of his audience, and they don't seem to have vaginas, so there ya go. :laugh:

I did SL5x5 when I started, and loved the simplicity of it. Was a wonderful place to start. :drinker:
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I do like some of the info in NR tho.

I always recommend to ladies looking to start lifting to read NROLFW right up until it starts talking about the program lol. It's a great explanation of the benefits of lifting for women in particular, but the program is, unfortunately, not particularly good and way overcomplicated. I prefer SS over SL, myself, but that's largely because the SS book is one of the best sources of lifting information on the planet for a beginner.

Yeah I second this. I recommend the book all over the place, and just suggest that they choose a simpler exercise program if they don't like the one in the book, because it's a little "fluffy".