How to keep a kitten off of the Christmas tree???

Options
I was suckered in about a month ago by my 4 year old to get a kitten. It's definitely a job trying to preserve things around the house from this kitten. She is tearing everything up and knocking things over left and right. My only concern right now is the Christmas tree. We are going to be putting it up next week and I already know she's going to be swinging from vine to vine and knocking everything off. Anyone know or have any ideas how to keep this kitten off of the tree? As long as my son is happy we are keeping the kitten; I just want some ideas other than getting rid of the kitten and hanging the tree from the ceiling lol. Thanks

Replies

• JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    WATER BOTTLE?
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I buy decorations for mine yearly due to this. I have two cats, one of which is pictured as my display image.
    They don't leave the tree alone. It is now broken, 2 branches are attached to the upper ones, no matter what I do, they still knock it over and I'm done trying to keep them off it.
    I just make sure to avoid real trees because if they eat that, it can damage their intestines and stomach, and they will poop out blood.
    I'm not going to win this fight. I've given up. I can get a tree every couple of years, I guess. No biggie lol.
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    I really don't know. We have a cat who I affectionately named "Demon" who gets in the tree every year and nothing seems to deter her. She loves to play with the foil that we put around the bottom. Fresh orange peel seems to work a little, but not enough to keep her out of the tree. Spraying her with water only works if you catch her doing it.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    WATER BOTTLE?

this... spray it with water when it gets in your tree
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Easy. Don't get a cat.
  • ThePlight
    Options
    WATER BOTTLE?

Only works if you're watching them 24/7.
    However, does not work on mine. They simply don't care and just shut their eyes as I spray.
  • FitFabStar29
    Options
    I don't know, I buy decorations for mine yearly due to this. I have two cats, one of which is pictured as my display image.
    They don't leave the tree alone. It is now broken, 2 branches are attached to the upper ones, no matter what I do, they still knock it over and I'm done trying to keep them off it.
    I just make sure to avoid real trees because if they eat that, it can damage their intestines and stomach, and they will poop out blood.
    I'm not going to win this fight. I've given up. I can get a tree every couple of years, I guess. No biggie lol.

Oh man! well, I guess I'll just plan on getting a fake tree. i was unaware of that so thank you for that info!!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Best trick I have found so far :

In an empty bottle mix
    1liter of water
    10 drops lemon essential oils
    20 drops eucalyptus oil

Spray the tree with the mix
  • FitFabStar29
    Options
    WATER BOTTLE?

Only works if you're watching them 24/7.
    However, does not work on mine. They simply don't care and just shut their eyes as I spray.

I use the water bottle for my kitchen table but I've realized that when we are not home it's on the table anyways.. seems like the water does not help ugh ;(
  • FitFabStar29
    Options
    Easy. Don't get a cat.

too late; not an option
  • ThePlight
    Options

Oh man! well, I guess I'll just plan on getting a fake tree. i was unaware of that so thank you for that info!!
    The cat I have pictured in my dp ate a few pieces of it, and we thought "Oh, hey, he likes it"..
    BAD idea. We ended up having to take the poor baby to the vet. Before I get anything, I research it.. Having pets is like having children that will never grow up lol.
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I agree with the water bottle technique, but it only works if you're there a lot of the time to catch her doing it. A friend of mine suggested using one part water and one part vinegar, spray it on and around the tree. It's not harmful, and cats hate the smell of it. I sprayed my furniture with it when my cat wouldn't stop scratching, and he hasn't touched it since.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    water bottle (as others suggested) and a new set of "soft" ornaments that won't break... chances are you have a few of these around anyway if you have a 4 year old.
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I like cats. But I can't eat a whole one by myself. . . .
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I've given up and converted to plastic ornaments only. They won't knock over the tree, but they love to smash as many ornaments as possible.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Don't spoil Christmas for your kitten!! Let it play in the tree. :)
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Ha ha there is no controlling cats. They do what they want when they want...
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have three cats and I have had cats since I was 4 - I'm now over 40. I have yet to find a way to keep the cats out of the Christmas tree. In fact, just this morning, I came downstairs to head out for my morning walk and found Winston, my big orange tabby half way up the tree, curled around the center pole (we have a fake tree) and watching me. When I tried to get him out, he wrapped his paws around the center pole and growled at me (he's all bark and no bite). He was not budging. Every night I come home from work to find ornaments scattered through the living room. I'm just used to it. I don't put ornaments on the tree that they can break.

As others have said, a water bottle only works if you have it handy and catch them in the act.
  • pkbryant28
    pkbryant28 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Put ornaments on the bottom that have bells to alert you when they are in the tree and keep the spray bottle visible, now all we have to do is the sit the spray bottle by the tree and she does not go near it. It did take a couple of years of training though, the 1st year was the most difficult after that each year would decrease her attempts to get in the tree now she just sees the water bottle and doesn't even try any more, the ornaments with the bells are still there though in the event she gets a little brave.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    WATER BOTTLE?

+ Me

I will sit at your home and watch the cat and spray it with water when it gets near me or the tree.

I will do this for free Tacos.