Someone explain why we shouldn't eat legumes

Options
Ok, so I can see the reasoning behind eliminating grains and dairy, but I don't understand why eating lentils and beans would lead to negative health consequences. Someone who has gone paleo, please explain. I am curious.

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    That is interesting, because I cannot understand the reasoning behind cutting out grains or dairy.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    That is interesting, because I cannot understand the reasoning behind cutting out grains or dairy.

This...dairy gives you calcium, grains are just yummy as for legumes who knows...eat what you want stay in a reasonable calorie deficet to lose weight.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The only explanation I got from my Paleo husband is that it's not allowed on Paleo. Nothing more than that. And then the endless list of new things that are a legume that we didn't know were one. It's exhausting. I wish I knew where Mr. Paleo lived so I could stick some legumes up his man cave.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Options
    Just nevermind.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Just nevermind.

Sounds like you dont want actual opinions.

Since you dont, then the reason Paleo doesnt allow legumes is because our ancestors didnt eat them. That is all.
  • Yetta729
    Yetta729 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew where Mr. Paleo lived so I could stick some legumes up his man cave.

Bwahaha ... made me snortle
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    it's the whole carbohydrate/insulin thing

Personally, I think it's a shame to cut out the musical fruit...meh whatevs.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I don't see why anything should be a no-no for a healthy person. Just don't eat large servings. Everything in moderation.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You should eat legumes. Legumes are great.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Is your question only for those using Paleo or for anyone avoiding legumes in general?

I avoid legumes because I'm allergic. :D
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    it's the whole carbohydrate/insulin thing

Personally, I think it's a shame to cut out the musical fruit...meh whatevs.

:love: :love: :love: That you called them the musical fruit. :laugh:

I don't understand it either. They are packed with protein and are a staple in my diet. I have no problem with them. Recent blood work showed all my levels are fine. It works for me so I will continue to eat them. :happy:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Why would I not eat anything? No comprendo.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Not wanting to body shame but I don't think Paleo is the way to go:

captain_caveman.jpg

For a start, you lose depth. And you sound funny.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Only reason to cut something out is if you don't like it or it makes you ill.

If you like lentils and beans, eat them.
    You do not need to eat Paleo, clean, etc to be epic.
    Sara is pretty damn epic and she eats poptarts.
  • jrcrmr
    jrcrmr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't see why anything should be a no-no for a healthy person. Just don't eat large servings. Everything in moderation.

this times a million...i've lost around fifty pounds (i stopped updating my weight on mfp since i want to stay stable where i am..and i haven't changed my eating habits much..maybe a little less takeout here and there...but if i want fast food, i will eat it..you just can't eat it every day

this summer, i went ice cream crazy (3 times a week) and my new addiction is those self serve froyo places...so as long as everything else balances out (the vast majority of my meals are home cooked with controlled portions and balanced...), then i should be okay...i think it's all about balance for everything

I know of three vegans (out of like the ten that i've met in my life) that just went crazy one day and basically ate a raw steak..that's got to be the weirdest coincidence...but unless you're doing it for medical reasons, it mostly causes imbalance...

maybe i'm too zen
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just nevermind.

No, she clearly wanted facts or reasons with some basis of merit if any exist. At that point she hadnt gotten any. Uninformed pinions arent worth a hill of beans.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Just nevermind.

No, she clearly wanted facts or reasons with some basis of merit if any exist. At that point she hadnt gotten any. Uninformed pinions arent worth a hill of beans.

Hill of beans? Legumes?
    Very puny.
  • SpookyElectric
    SpookyElectric Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Not wanting to body shame but I don't think Paleo is the way to go:

captain_caveman.jpg

For a start, you lose depth. And you sound funny.

But he made Captain......?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

The very first line of that makes me rage:

"Recently my boyfriend has been straying from his normal Paleo ways because he feels that grain-laden cookies are more important than his overall health and longevity"