A serious question about humour

Options

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to call bullshlt. Sure, everybody loves a sense of humor and a lot of other traits that are not visibly apparent, but that's not what gets you the first date. Women are attracted to whatever their definition of physical atractiveness is. Men are the same way.

I have a hell of a sense of humor, but except for the small percentage of women that are attracted to the "biker" look, they are not interested in me at first glance. It doesn't matter -- I'm married, but, I just had this conversation with my wife. In front of my daughter.

My wife keeps insisting how attracted her friends are to me, but I keep telling her it's because they appreciate the way I treat my wife. She doesn't get that and it irritates her that I just can't agree that her friends find me attractive. On my daughter's advice, I just agree with my wife now and save having the whole conversation.

If you are not already attractive, you may never get to demonstrate your sense of humor or other less visible attributes.
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure they've proven that being happy is good for your health.

^ This and it is true a happy wife(woman), happy life. Make your woman smile and laugh and you will enjoy the benefits.:heart:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    If he can make me laugh when I'm mad at him I probably won't kill him. My husband has a great sense of humor and it's been a lot of fun to be married to him. We've been together for 25 years total and experienced the good, bad and ugly. It was all much easier to get through with a man who makes me laugh and I have fun with.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Going out on a crazy limb here... but propagating the species/survival of the fittest requires a mate that isn't going to kill me before we can reproduce :)

Meh, anyone can propagate. People with humor just make it enjoyable.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I don't just look for a sense of humor. Hopefully, most people have some sort of sense of humor. I look for the same sick kind of humor I like, and he better be able to make me laugh my *kitten* off all. the. time. Nothing is sexier.

<this guy has me snorting and close to pissing my pants every day.

ETA: Having a good sense of humor can really shape the way you deal with bumps in the road. If you can laugh stuff off and view life as an adventure, then you are much more attractive as a life long mate. I've dated guys who let every little hiccup ruin their day, and it blows.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to call bullshlt. Sure, everybody loves a sense of humor and a lot of other traits that are not visibly apparent, but that's not what gets you the first date. Women are attracted to whatever their definition of physical atractiveness is. Men are the same way.

Nope. Not everyone is completely driven by physical attraction.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    You need a sense of humor for dealing with polar mood swings.
    Also, have you never laughed during sex??? If you haven't, make her laugh -you'll get it. :bigsmile:

She's learned to stifle her laughter so as not to hurt my feelings.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

If you are not already attractive, you may never get to demonstrate your sense of humor or other less visible attributes.

Depends on the circumstances. Sure if you are out at a bar and checking someone out from across the room, physical attractiveness comes first. But lets say you have are working or going to school with someone who doesn't have the physical traits you are generally attracted to but has an awesome sense of humor and is just a good person, then yeah, personality gets you an "in". Also beer and lack of options....
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

Nope. Not everyone is completely driven by physical attraction.

Agreed. I met my man online and at first I really wasn't very interested. The more we talked, the more he made me laugh and by the time we actually met, I was totally hooked.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I say it because I want someone with a sense to match my own. I say a lot pretty off the wall stuff. It never occurs to me that it's taboo until it's too late. So I need someone who gets that and I can "let loose" around. Most people don't get my sense of humor so it's important to me to find someone who does or it just won't work lol.
  • gonnasee33
    Options
    1349327368871_9751555.png
  • Kate814
    Kate814 Posts: 145
    Options
    Whoa there... not all women instantly judge a man on their looks. I've always dated the guys that most girls categorized as "nice guys". I don't look for someone who can provide security, or looks a certain way, but most of the time do look for a sense of humor. Mostly because I know they wouldn't be able to put up with me otherwise... busy, high stress life has to have some humor in it for sanity. And the ability to make someone laugh is always a good thing, in my opinion.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I've noticed women tend to think the men to whom they are attracted are funny, even when they aren't particularly funny. A different guy could say the exact same thing and not get a response at all, but the one she's attracted to says it and it's just hilarious.

So citing "sense of humor" is almost a tautology. It's basically saying, "I prefer the ones I'm attracted to".

:tongue:
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Going out on a crazy limb here... but propagating the species/survival of the fittest requires a mate that isn't going to kill me before we can reproduce :) If he (we) can laugh at the ups and downs in life, both at each other and at the insane little beings we're bringing into the world... well, I figure that ups my odds of passing on those genetics.

Did you read about that lion at the zoo? Lioness must have made some bad joke and he forgot how to laugh. :(

I didn't hear about the lioness but I assume it didn't end well for her. However this strikes a chord. Maybe from an evolutionary standpoint, if a man, who is traditionally physically stronger than his wife and children, has a sense of humour, he is less likely to beat them to death with his club because of being in a bad mood. Ergo, better humour = more of a chance of having children and surviving to a ripe old age. Makes sense.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I believe I can sum this up with the following:

Women desire someone who can both make them laugh and feel safe...so basically a clown ninja.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    while I agree this is overused, I really do look for someone with a good sense of humor. I will probably make them cry if they can't take a joke. either that or they have to be so dumb the sarcasm goes over their heads.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I believe I can sum this up with the following:

Women desire someone who can both make them laugh and feel safe...so basically a clown ninja.

that sounds kind of hot, "woah where did my clothes go?" Clown ninja!! you prankster you
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Laughter is a stress reliever.

I am a very silly person so that is a quality I looked for in my spouse. Although my husband is way more serious and reseved and he says I make him laugh and bring out the silliness in him. That was a big reason he fell in love with me. So go figure.
  • chapamore
    chapamore Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that cavemen were hilarious. Have you seen some of those drawings?
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Because sometimes life really, really freaking sucks but it doesn't suck so bad when you're laughing.

Also, laughter keeps our health up!

Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.

Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.

Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.

Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.