Suggestions for improving OHP

Options
2»

Replies

• awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I learned the OHP with dumbbells, but now I see everyone using a barbell to do them. Any advantage/disadvantage of doing one over the other? I know that you can add smaller weight increments if you use the barbell, but anything else? I struggle with this one as well, feels like I can never progress.

ETA: I do them standing, if that makes any difference.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I learned the OHP with dumbbells, but now I see everyone using a barbell to do them. Any advantage/disadvantage of doing one over the other? I know that you can add smaller weight increments if you use the barbell, but anything else? I struggle with this one as well, feels like I can never progress.

It's easier with a barbell, except you have to learn not to hit yourself in the nose with the bar on the way up.

Dumbbells are better for working the various stabilizer muscles, but when things start getting heavy, it's easier to load up the bar on the rack than it is to swing dumbbells up to your shoulders.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

It's easier with a barbell, except you have to learn not to hit yourself in the nose with the bar on the way up.

Dumbbells are better for working the various stabilizer muscles, but when things start getting heavy, it's easier to load up the bar on the rack than it is to swing dumbbells up to your shoulders.

That's a good point, thank you!
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Before you stall the third time and have to deload, give yourself two complete days of rest from your last workout. Helped me through my stall in the OHP.

eta...love the 'cookies' reference.
  • teaparty75
    Options
    There is a lot of bear wrestling that goes on with OHP. Use the cookies- load- and de load. Keep working it. as Ferny said... it's hard for EVERYONE.

edit- by cookies I mean the 2.5 lb weights

if you are still struggling- invest in 1 or 1.5 lb weights- they aren't expensive

COOKIES ...luv it !!! when i'm "Scared" to go up - i load up hella cookies LOL

OP - the OHP gives me the blues - i've been stuck/scared at 40lbs -BUT- tomorrow i WILL brave 45lb thanks to your question and these great responses !!
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Meh I just workout every other day, and try to make sure I have a rest between days,... I dont always get to work out on the weekends but i try at least one day. ... although the 'extra' day purposed for higher rep work is a good idea... *thinking*

Stronglifts focuses on the 5 rep range, which is ideal for strength, but also has you doing a fair amount of volume along with it (not just 3 sets, but 5).

Higher rep work is better for hypertrophy, and can help with the main lifts as well (they are tough in their own right). Something like 5x10. Remember that you would have to drop the weight for the higher rep work. A good suggestion would be to do it with 50%-65% of your current 5 rep numbers.

That said, Stronglifts was designed to be done 3 days a week as programmed. I wouldn't mess with it right now, there's no need at all. Biggest mistake a novice can make, is trying to alter a program. You'll just end up spinning your wheels.

So would the best bet be to complete the 12 weeks first then start spinning?