Should pre-workout snack be counted?

Options
Hey!
Ok, i'm on vacations now and going ot the gym at first time in the morning, i use to eat a banana before i'm heading to the gym, so it's the first thing i eat that day (around 45 cals) and then after i workout i get home and have a breakfast that it usually goes around 100 cals so my total would be like 150 cals (which is the amount of cals i usually try to get for breakfast)

So, the question is, should that banana be counted into my breakfast? even if i burnt it while working out?
Because i'm feeling a little restricted by not going over 100 calories after working out cause i already ate 50 cals earlier...

I hope someone understands and helps.
Thanks! ;)

Replies

• awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you eat it, it should be counted.
  • Jacson53
    Jacson53 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Remember that your body has to burn those banana calories ( or store them as fat).
    Anything going in your mouth should be counted.

There is no free lunch! :)
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    1) you need more than 150 calories for breakfast. What is your daily calorie goal?

2) bananas are more than 50 calories. USDA says a small one is 90 and a medium one is 110.
    Unless you are eating half a banana. Then your calories are correct. but #1 is still true. eat more.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. You should count every calorie you consume and you should eat a calorie for every calorie you expend during your workout. Unless you want to lose weight, then you should have a weekly deficit of 3500 calories for every pound you want to lose.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • kayla554
    kayla554 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If she eats 45 cals then burns off 45 cals why should it be counted?
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    1) you need more than 150 calories for breakfast. What is your daily calorie goal?

2) bananas are more than 50 calories. USDA says a small one is 90 and a medium one is 110.
    Unless you are eating half a banana. Then your calories are correct. but #1 is still true. eat more.

This^^^^^^ My first thought was you must only be eating a half a banana and why such a small breakfast. I will eat that much as a pre workout snack, then come back and have 300 to 400 calorie breakfast.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Because he ate it. The golden rule is if it goes in your mouth track it. Most cases of people coming on here complaining they aren't losing turns out to be because they were not tracking everything.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options

1) you dont need to eat any calories for breakfast. You just need to stay within your "weekly" calorie goal to gain/lose/maintain your weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    Ok, i'm on vacations now and going ot the gym at first time in the morning, i use to eat a banana before i'm heading to the gym, so it's the first thing i eat that day (around 45 cals) and then after i workout i get home and have a breakfast that it usually goes around 100 cals so my total would be like 150 cals (which is the amount of cals i usually try to get for breakfast)

So, the question is, should that banana be counted into my breakfast? even if i burnt it while working out?
    Because i'm feeling a little restricted by not going over 100 calories after working out cause i already ate 50 cals earlier...

I hope someone understands and helps.
    Thanks! ;)

Everything gets counted...you burn all of the calories you consume one way or the other (or if you have a surplus they get stored as fat). Further more dude...you should eat more...that's not breakfast that's a pre-warmup snack...eat buddy boy.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options

This. And yes it counts.
    Is that you in your profile pic?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Everything gets counted...you burn all of the calories you consume one way or the other (or if you have a surplus they get stored as fat). Further more dude...you should eat more...that's not breakfast that's a pre-warmup snack...eat buddy boy.
    Bless_this_post.gif
  • gocats11
    Options
    Everything that goes in your mouth has to be counted no matter when you eat it and as already posted the calories in your banana are wrong.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Why are you restricting yourself to 150 cals? Yes you have to count the banana, but why not eat a little bigger breakfast if this is making you feel restricted?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Where did you find a 45 calorie banana?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    That's a really small banana.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Although it IS a trade-off, the calories burned off are more than likely being counted so the calories taken in should be too. Realistically, both calories ingested & burned SHOULD be logged, it's already difficult enough estimating some thing when you ARE logging them, trying to estimate one against the other without logging makes things that much more difficult to track. Just enter everything & let the system sort it all out - if it is a real trade-off that ill be reflected in the net #'s......
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yes, even your mini-bananas should be counted. Seems like you're really restricting yourself too much if 50 calories is that much of an issue. 150 calories is a snack, not really a meal.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    That's a really small banana.

STAHP THE SMALL BANANA SHAMING!
  • gocats11
    Options
    One of the biggest mistakes people make while dieting is actually not eating enough. Just had my breakfast 450 calories after training if you don't eat enough you will get hungry and then you will be temped to eat something you shouldn't.