My diet pill confession: I don't use them to lose weight...

Options

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    ... I use diet pills to get an edge at my job.

Yep, that's right.

I'm a court reporter by profession. And I'm essentially taking Speed every morning (ephedrine) to give me a leg up at my job. Is it illegal? No. It's perfectly legal. Is it ethical? That's the question I'm struggling with. I am expected at my job to write, instantaneously, everything that people say in a legal setting. Sometimes, that's 250-300 words per minute for stretches of time on my little machine. Surely anything that helps me do my job to the best of my ability is a good thing; however, I feel like if anyone knew, they would use it as another nail in the coffin for my job. Court reporters are being eliminated elsewhere in North America and being replaced by tape recorders and typists. Ideally I get my speed up to the point where I can do television closed captioning (yes, if you didn't know, that's a real person doing your evening news captions live).

When I was in college, people knew that I was using them before tests. No one really discouraged it, but people did of course warn me about the health effects it could have on me. I know it's not healthy, and I know it would be far better if I could do my job at this level without the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

I don't know, just wanted to get this off my chest before i go to work this morning. Just wondering if anyone else uses strong stimulants like this to increase their work performance, and if so, how it affects you.

Undiagnosed ADHD?

I second this. I would take ephedrine long before I was later diagnosed with adult ADD. Now I take real speed and it works so very well.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    where do you get the epedrine from?

Primatene tablets. *shrugs* Completely legal - its an over the counter medication and her getting in trouble over it is like her getting in trouble for taking ibuprofen, same legal status.
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    keaton.jpg

jessiespanocaffeinepillsintervention2.jpg

Fresh-Prince-prom-CarltoN_338.jpg

Surely anything that helps me do my job to the best of my ability is a good thing; however, I feel like if anyone knew, they would use it as another nail in the coffin for my job.

If you don't want this getting back to your work, why on earth would you post it on the internet? By clicking on your profile I can see that you work right across the street from me. You should really ask to have this post removed.

:laugh: I was wondering the same thing...What if one of your coworkers uses this site? I still can't believe that speed helps you type faster while still keeping your accuracy high (no pun intended).

So now the mature adults here now going to seek out random stranger's employers and turn them in for taking a LEGAL medication?

Nobody said that, but yes it could happen. This surprises you?
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

Yep, that's right.

I'm a court reporter by profession. And I'm essentially taking Speed every morning (ephedrine) to give me a leg up at my job. Is it illegal? No. It's perfectly legal. Is it ethical? That's the question I'm struggling with. I am expected at my job to write, instantaneously, everything that people say in a legal setting. Sometimes, that's 250-300 words per minute for stretches of time on my little machine. Surely anything that helps me do my job to the best of my ability is a good thing; however, I feel like if anyone knew, they would use it as another nail in the coffin for my job. Court reporters are being eliminated elsewhere in North America and being replaced by tape recorders and typists. Ideally I get my speed up to the point where I can do television closed captioning (yes, if you didn't know, that's a real person doing your evening news captions live).

When I was in college, people knew that I was using them before tests. No one really discouraged it, but people did of course warn me about the health effects it could have on me. I know it's not healthy, and I know it would be far better if I could do my job at this level without the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

I don't know, just wanted to get this off my chest before i go to work this morning. Just wondering if anyone else uses strong stimulants like this to increase their work performance, and if so, how it affects you.
    ephedrine isnt speed. it is not a amphetamine.

another thing is where are you getting your ephedrine?
  • DatMurse
    Options
    This thread over ephedrine is way over people's heads right now
    I use ephedrine...

...for my seasonal allergies. One or two of the smallest dosages a day, sometimes every other, and have been since before I started losing weight. Wayyyyyyyy cheaper than buying any other seasonal allergy mediation, and it's the same active ingredient.

I didn't even know that it's meant to be used for weight loss until I came on this site :indifferent:
    what allergy drug uses ephedrine? I have only seen pseudoephedrine
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    I use ephedrine...

...for my seasonal allergies. One or two of the smallest dosages a day, sometimes every other, and have been since before I started losing weight. Wayyyyyyyy cheaper than buying any other seasonal allergy mediation, and it's the same active ingredient.

I didn't even know that it's meant to be used for weight loss until I came on this site :indifferent:

I don't think it's marketed for use as an allergy medicine, but it does help.

I do know that a particular drug company makes an inhaler with levanfetamine for sinus clogging. I notice that my nose dries up fast when I take my prescribed ADD meds which happen to be amphetamines.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I use ephedrine...

I thought ephidrine is the reason that you need a prescription for Claritin/Allegra. Also, I think that they changed the formula so that it doesn't include it. Maybe ppl are just confused. Funny that she thought she was taking speed, though. LOL. Problem solved, OP. You're not a speed junkie. But, I'd work on getting another job. The stress of knowing that my job is becoming obsolete would drive me crazy. If you're resorting to using what you think is speed right now, I'd hate to see how you react when you lose your job. Hope things pick up for you. :happy:
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I use ephedrine...

I thought ephidrine is the reason that you need a prescription for Claritin/Allegra. Also, I think that they changed the formula so that it doesn't include it. Maybe ppl are just confused. Funny that she thought she was taking speed, though. LOL. Problem solved, OP. You're not a speed junkie. But, I'd work on getting another job. The stress of knowing that my job is becoming obsolete would drive me crazy. If you're resorting to using what you think is speed right now, I'd hate to see how you react when you lose your job. Hope things pick up for you. :happy:

Since when did you need a prescription for those 2?
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I use ephedrine...

The reason all those herbal diet supplements say that ephedrine has been used safely in China for thousands of years is because they use it for allergy/respiratory issues, they don't use it for weight loss.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I use ephedrine...

You don't. I meant you have to get it from the pharmacist...And show an ID and sign some type of agreement and have your info logged.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I use ephedrine...

You don't. I meant you have to get it from the pharmacist...And show an ID and sign some type of agreement and have your info logged.
    thats because of pseudoephedrine.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Have you tried it without the ephedrine? I mean really tried for a stretch of time and given yourself a few weeks to adjust. Ephedrine makes me a little shaky. You might find out you don't need it as much as you think you do. You might do just fine without it. I bet you are indeed that good, you just need to trust your skills. Then you can worry about new jobs on their own merits. Good Luck!

I think this is good advice. I don't know if it's unethical (people drink loads of caffeine and energy drinks just to get through their "normal" jobs) but I do think that this comment gets to the real point.

BTW, as a reporter in progress I tip my hat to you big time for being able to hit 250 - 300. Friggin awesome.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I use ephedrine...

I use Allergra-D for my seasonal allergies and have occassionally taken them for energy and to curb hunger. I only take them when my allergies get really bad now because I felt like they were making me moody and messing with my sleep.

They are REALLY expensive... like more than $1/pill. Where do you get your ephedrine? I'm curious if it would work for my allergies as good as the Allegra-D/

I buy these from GNC - 4 packs for $18, a total of 200 8mg tablets.

2czvccp.jpg

I don't think you can read it in the picture, but it says right on the package "For the relief of nasal congestion due to colds or hay fever." It's been working for me! My boyfriend takes them too, but needs to take at least 4 a day :ohwell: I guess it may not necessarily work well for everyone?

I thought ephidrine is the reason that you need a prescription for Claritin/Allegra. Also, I think that they changed the formula so that it doesn't include it. Maybe ppl are just confused.

You are probably correct, to be honest. I can remember looking at a box of...something and seeing that the active ingredient was pseudoephedrine. To be quite honest my boyfriend told me that they were the same thing (ephedrine and pseudoephedrine, which really just means "ephedrine-like") and I took his word as truth. I just looked it up now, and although they have the same chemical formula ( C10H15NO ) they are (and forgive me all you chemists for forgetting most of what I've learned in my high school chemistry classes) bonded differently, so I'm assuming that means that they have slightly different properties.

So it seems I was confused, haha.

ETA: Gahhhh, picture uploads :grumble:
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I just want to know where you live that you can be a court reporter with that haircolor. Then maybe I'll move there. Because that is cool.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Yep, that's right.

I wonder somehow in what good it does to get " things off your chest " if you don't have a plan to stop taking diet pills. At least to me it sounds as if you don't plan to stop.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I use ephedrine...

I use Allergra-D for my seasonal allergies and have occassionally taken them for energy and to curb hunger. I only take them when my allergies get really bad now because I felt like they were making me moody and messing with my sleep.

They are REALLY expensive... like more than $1/pill. Where do you get your ephedrine? I'm curious if it would work for my allergies as good as the Allegra-D/

2czvccp.jpg

I don't think you can read it in the picture, but it says right on the package "For the relief of nasal congestion due to colds or hay fever." It's been working for me! My boyfriend takes them too, but needs to take at least 4 a day :ohwell: I guess it may not necessarily work well for everyone?

I thought ephidrine is the reason that you need a prescription for Claritin/Allegra. Also, I think that they changed the formula so that it doesn't include it. Maybe ppl are just confused.

You are probably correct, to be honest. I can remember looking at a box of...something and seeing that the active ingredient was pseudoephedrine. To be quite honest my boyfriend told me that they were the same thing (ephedrine and pseudoephedrine, which really just means "ephedrine-like") and I took his word as truth. I just looked it up now, and although they have the same chemical formula ( C10H15NO ) they are (and forgive me all you chemists for forgetting most of what I've learned in my high school chemistry classes) bonded differently, so I'm assuming that means that they have slightly different properties.

sorry to break it to you, but your boyfriend is wrong, pseudo ephedrine is not a thermogenic.

GNC sells kaizen HCL?
  • raverhayley
    raverhayley Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Isnt epherdrine banned now?
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    If you have to take stimulants to do your job to a level that keeps you from being fired, maybe it's time for a new career IMO. You shouldn't have to dope yourself for work because you are afraid if you don't have the extra edge you will be canned. That's just crazy. I also think it doesn't make much sense that you posted this online if you don't want your job to find out considering someone mentioned they know where you work just by looking at your profile...

Best of luck to you.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I use ephedrine...

2czvccp.jpg

sorry to break it to you, but your boyfriend is wrong, pseudo ephedrine is not a thermogenic.

GNC sells kaizen HCL?

Don't tell him that! He'll never believe you! :laugh: And yep, it apparently does! I've only ever seen it in these small packages though...not that I use it for weight loss, so I don't need any more than that.