Quinoa: Yes or No?

Options
124»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I love it...and I did Quinoa before Quinoa was cool. My wife and I discovered it's awesomeness while traveling in Peru a number of years ago. We've been big proponents ever since...we eat it at least 2-3 times per week. We buy a big *kitten* bag of it at Costco for like $7.

I like browning it in some oil and sauteing some onions and mushrooms and the use chicken stock rather than water to steam it. Delicious.
  • italral
    italral Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    :heart: I love quinoa. Besides all the healthy reasons you would eat it, it cooks way faster than rice, so I don't have to plan ahead to make it. 15 minutes, done. I'm not down for hour long cooking sessions.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like it, but I don't think it always works in place of rice. Though it works well in most recipes that call for cous cous or bulgar wheat. It makes a nice tabouleh for those that can't or don't eat wheat.

It's higher in protein than rice or cous cous, so if you need or desire more protein it is has that advantage. I like it best as a salad base (I mix with cooked beans, crunchy chopped veg and dressing).
  • Cinloykko
    Cinloykko Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's a different version of cous cous

^^^ yup!!! lol. tastes the same to me too. but quinoa is a grain so its supposed to be healthier and is a complete protein too. but def better than rice. i HATE rice, white or brown both suck, but i like cous cous and quinoa (equally so)

Just eat what you prefer :)
  • yoolka05
    Options

As I've mentioned, quinoa is a grain. All grains are seeds. You eat the seed of the wheat, you eat the seed of the corn, you eat the seed of the rice, and you eat the seed of the quinoa. All grains.

How about buckwheat (I love it), is it a grain or not? ( i suppose I could just google the answer, couldn't I?)