Embrassing question

Options
what are normal bowel movements. i am drinking lots of water, probably not getting as much fiber as mfp recommends. just seems like since i cut down on my calories my output isnt like it should be. i have never been one to void daily. i am not hurting from constipation yet i am concerned. i even had oatmeal for breakfast yesterday and that normally makes a movement within an hour, yet nothing. i even gained a pound this week and i am pretty sure it is from lack of output.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Think of the big loss that you have to look forward to........

I'm kidding--sort of. I suspect that others have had the same experience--they just did not have the forthrightness to talk about it publicly. I had some similar experiences myself. I forget the details, but for some reason, I have a memory that it had something to do with increased protein intake. Increasing my fiber intake (something I was doing anyway) didn't seem to have much effect. To be honest, other than messing a little bit with my scale numbers, it didn't have much notable effect.
  • Jess1313
    Options
    I believe it depends on the person, some people go once a day others only go 3 times a week. Its depends on the person. If you've drastically changed your lifestyle then body functions will also change. I would take a fiber supplement like benifiber or something similar. I personally take a probiotic daily, that helps my immune system and digestive system tremendously. If things don't start up for you in a couple days, I would check in with your doctor, just to be sure. Good Luck!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Up your fiber intake - most people don't get enough fiber and it really is important for so many reasons.
    I don't have your issue but I have to share something I learned recently. I have a smoothie every morning and I have noticed that, for some reason, adding blueberries really... ummmm... gets things moving, I guess you could say... pretty much immediately. Strawberries don't seem to have the same effect. lol.
    I'm glad you posted this because I am sure there are a lot of people out there who have been wondering the same thing and are probably really grateful you had the guts to ask.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Be sure to drink enough water when upping your fiber intake. Otherwise that fiber doesn't have any liquid to draw from and it won't work great.

Flax seed on your cereal/oatmeal/in a shake is a great way to sneak extra fiber in.

A regular bowel movement should be solid and firm but not black or super dark and should still have a curve in it when it's in the toilet. LOL I have no shame and as an RN student, good thing I'm not shy.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    It does depend on the person. If you are not uncomfortable, having pains, bloating, then just have patience. Water and fiber and patience.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Be sure to drink enough water when upping your fiber intake. Otherwise that fiber doesn't have any liquid to draw from and it won't work great.

Flax seed on your cereal/oatmeal/in a shake is a great way to sneak extra fiber in.

A regular bowel movement should be solid and firm but not black or super dark and should still have a curve in it when it's in the toilet. LOL I have no shame and as an RN student, good thing I'm not shy.

Is the curve part of a joke or are you serious???
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Is the curve part of a joke or are you serious???

She is serious. The curve indicates the consistency of the bowel movement... too dry/hard and it won't curve. Too soft and it doesn't fulfill the "solid and firm" part of the description.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have no shame either, i literally documented each patients bowl movement...watch for consistency, what's in it and the color for sure...if there's any serious irregularities then get checked out...if you're starting to bloat and get uncomfortable take a MILD laxitive and be patient. I'd eat some fruit or beans...just stay close to a bathroom...good luck...and good on ya for posting, i just wrote that i wasn't pooping right on my thread instead of the forum, but i bet there are tons of people on here that have irregular bowl movements since they changed their eating habits...
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    So glad you did post this....LOL I've been wondering this too. Apparently poop can tell a lot about a person's health, but I find that I am the same way. Now I know a little more.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Heehee this is too funny! But I'm glad you posted. Since I've started my life style change my movements have also changed. I've had to start eating bran flakes for breakfast and fiber one bars for snack. and even then I think I need to add more! It takes time to get your body adjusted to the changes, but if you think things just aren't right, see a doctor. Thanks again for posting :)
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I've been stooling quite well since I've been on the diet. I think because I eat more bran and more soup. Cheese is the enemy btw. Have you eaten any cheese?
  • Wiitabax
    Wiitabax Posts: 284
    Options
    It's a fair question I reckon - I'm a Nurse and as such have had to focus on issues such as bowel activity (lol, sorry but it's true)...

There doesn't seem to be a standard, but people do seem to have a 'regular' pattern and unless there's a noticeable difference, then that's usually okay.

ANY doubts whatsoever, I'd recommend medical advice - maybe first asking a pharmacist for advice, or if ANY concerns, a doctor/local healthcare folk.

As to 'regular' - sorry if this seems too much info, but I go 2-3 times per day... now some people might say: "MAN!!! Surely you mean per WEEK!!!???" but no - that's my 'pattern'. Other's go less I know, but hey, I have to be different :D

To help keep regular, obviously it's high fibre stuff... grains... cereals etc. and PLENTY water - avoid dehydration.

Also - not being reliant on laxatives is important... because these can cause the bowels to become sluggish and have trouble working without.

Again, can't stress - any concerns that you have - get medical advice - that's what these people are there for.

:smile:
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Cheese does not constipate. But it is salty, making you more in need of extra water.
  • Wiitabax
    Options
    I have no shame either, i literally documented each patients bowl movement...watch for consistency, what's in it and the color for sure...if there's any serious irregularities then get checked out...if you're starting to bloat and get uncomfortable take a MILD laxitive and be patient. I'd eat some fruit or beans...just stay close to a bathroom...good luck...and good on ya for posting, i just wrote that i wasn't pooping right on my thread instead of the forum, but i bet there are tons of people on here that have irregular bowl movements since they changed their eating habits...

Did you have to use any kind of a 'rating scale' - in my job, we had the "Bristol Stool Chart"/Scale - if you haven't come across this it shows different 'types' - I used to document in the patients' notes where applicable... this became something of a running joke with some of the staff lol, so much so, when I left to move jobs, I was given a t-shirt with the chart on it... showing different types of poos!

:laugh:
  • Margarette
    Margarette Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Obviously intake of fiber but something that has worked for me quite a bit and I have a lot of digestive problems... Activia. I thought it would be gross but really its delicious. The commercial says 14 days for regularity but honestly I noticed a difference after about 4.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Did you have to use any kind of a 'rating scale' - in my job, we had the "Bristol Stool Chart"/Scale - if you haven't come across this it shows different 'types' - I used to document in the patients' notes where applicable... this became something of a running joke with some of the staff lol, so much so, when I left to move jobs, I was given a t-shirt with the chart on it... showing different types of poos!

[/quote]

Oh the joys of the Bristol stool chart, there is even a Facebook appreciation group for it!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    As to 'regular' - sorry if this seems too much info, but I go 2-3 times per day... now some people might say: "MAN!!! Surely you mean per WEEK!!!???" but no - that's my 'pattern'. Other's go less I know, but hey, I have to be different :D

Okay, once again I'm glad someone said something like this, because I was beginning to wonder if I was a freak of nature in that respect but was too chicken to ask someone if it was normal to go that often. If so, I'm at least glad I'm not the only freak of nature, and I am sorry for the TMI.
  • Wiitabax
    Options
    Oh the joys of the Bristol stool chart, there is even a Facebook appreciation group for it!

:laugh: now I did NOT know that... I'll have to join!!!
  • Wiitabax
    Options

Okay, once again I'm glad someone said something like this, because I was beginning to wonder if I was a freak of nature in that respect but was too chicken to ask someone if it was normal to go that often. If so, I'm at least glad I'm not the only freak of nature, and I am sorry for the TMI.

:smile: no probs... NEVER get into a 'how many times do you go for a Brad Pitt' conversation... because if you're stuck with the 'twice a week' group, you'll feel like a TOTAL freak!!!

And it's nice to meet someone as 'regular' as me lol - we should start a club!

• Triguy83
    Triguy83 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    orig fiber one! all bran cleans the pipes very well